magnolia

Downs Syndrome & ASD

Hi I am new here, I am Mum to Sarah who is 14 and has Downs Syndrome, she has just been diagnosed with ASD, its quite rare to get a dual diagnosis and I have been told to say her Autism is her main disability and Downs Syndrome after, that kind of makes sense as the ASD is the disability that affects us all more

Any more parents out there with a child with both?

Hi, magnolia, and welcome :thumbs:

I have a son of 5 with Autism, and a son of 10. I don't have any experience of Downs, but I'm sure you'll find lots of help and advice here, as well as plenty of laughs :lol: (and don't we all need those :))

Nicky >:D<<'>

Welcome! I used to have a friend at college that had Downs syndrome and ASD, from what I gather it isn't that uncommon to have a dual diagnosis of downs syndrome and either a PDD or some kind of learning disability. Anyway I hope you like it here and find it as helpful as I have :thumbs:

Hi Magnolia - welcome to the forum :)

I don't have any first hand knowledge of a situation like yours, but have worked with young autistic people and with young people with downs syndrome.

The 'heirarchy of diagnosis' is an absolutely daft concept - particularly with two conditions that have such wide reaching implications. I suppose in some ways it doesn't matter which 'comes first' as long as any responses arise from holistic assessment of her needs rather than from medical model assumptions about the condition(s).

I think the heirarchy might change as time goes on, particularly after she leaves full time education and as she gets older. As long as the professionals supporting her (and you) keep those considerations in mind, it shouldn't really make any difference - the support she gets should arise from an individual plan that responds to both sets of needs

Hope that's helpful

:D

Edited by baddad

We have a family in our support group who has a child with Downs and Autism. His parents say that for them the ASD is far more problematic than the Downs.

Cat

Cat thats how we feel, the Downs is nothing compared to the problems we face with the ASD, I get quite upset at times the way Sarah behaves etc and as for her food problems I will post about those later