Sign in to follow this  
Thompsons

Sensitivity to temperature?

Well, I joined these boards a while ago to find out more about Aspergers in order to help my little brother who was diagnosed last year.. Only to find that in the past few months my psychologist suspects that both myself and my Dad have it too. I've looked into it and I was so shocked that everything that I've struggled with since I started walking and talking is the same for other people on the autistic spectrum. It even explains physical problems that the doctor hasn't been able to work out such as why I never know when to use the toilet until it's too late :oops: And why I had an extreme phobia of food and was hospitilised a few years ago. I guess I just didn't see it, because although my little brother and I are similar, he's far more aggressive than me and there are just differences - e.g I like to rock myself when I'm stressed, where as he fiddles with his hair, I have severe OCD, where as he shows no signs of it. Maybe I was just in denial? But I'll be having an assessment soon and I'm also having an EEG because I've been convulsing in my sleep and waking up soaked in sweat and a sore tongue where I've bitten it. Epilepsy, maybe? It only happens in my sleep though..

Anyway, I wanted to ask if sensitivity to temperature is common or not? Because it doesn't affect my brother.. But I am always cold! I'm wrapped up when everyone else is in shorts and t-shirts (again as a child, I was sent to the doctor because of this and they could find no cause). I've also suffered a number of burns over the years because somehow I didn't feel it :wacko: So I have to be careful with the kettle and in the shower, ect. Although my Mum usually does these things for me anyway.

Just wondered if anyone can share any experiences :)

Edited by Thompsons

Hyper - or hypo- sensitivity to temperature is not uncommon with AS.

My son loves to sit in front of an electric fan heater, and when you walk in his room it is like a sauna - but he also goes out in all weathers without a jumper or coat!

Hi,

My daughter seems to suffer with temperature control........ and I have read it's common with ASD. I think with my daughter it's almost like it takes ages for temperature to register and by the time it does - her body feeling is extreme - either way way too hot or way way too cold - although I have to say she's far more hot than she is cold.

She also has a number of scars from enormous blisters where she has burnt from something she hasn't felt i.e. hot water bottle etc. She also struggles in the shower with the heat and has on several occasions collapsed (we had a shower room fitted purposely because she found being in a steamy bathroom really difficult and can get out of a shower quicker and easier).

Recently she's had several EEG's and a MRI scan because she has started having some sort of seizures (which they believe are complex partials) - she does also sometimes get very hot prior/during or following a seizure - we also think that she's probably been having seizures during the night for quite some time (years) which we've put down to nightmares/sleepwalking.

Please take care that if you do have a problem with temperature and you think that you may possibly suffer from seizures then please please be careful if you do take a bath rather than a shower - as I once knew someone who's daughter had her first seizure in the bath and it ended very tragically.

Take care and hope you get your referrals/tests a.s.a.p.

Jb

Edited by jb1964

My son can not stand being hot, even as a baby he would go bright red and scream if I put a cardie on him. Every year I buy him new jumpers and give away the "old" ones which are still practically brand new, he's the same with long trousers and only wears shorts unless it's very cold and I make him wear long ones - this is no mean feat I can tell you.

The night terrors/sleep walking is interesting. He has been walking already tonight. Its interesting what you and JB are saying about the possibility of seizures because I have wondered about this myself. Sometimes he will walk and then sit down while I talk to him and shake, his whole body shakes and he is usually quite hot as well. When this happens he is usually talking but not aware of what I am asking him and gets muddled up.

The night terrors started when he was about 7 months and the walking as soon as he went into a bed at 2.

The consultant said he can't be sleep walking but must be awake, I described what he does but she said she's never heard anything like it and just carried on saying he must be awake. She's never heard of night terrors either though so sleep may not be her field hey! :rolleyes:

Edited by Sooze2

When my asd son was younger - he used to run about in the garden with just his tee-shirt on and no coat. Never felt the cold.

However, now sometimes I hear him telling me that he is cold...........

My lad doesnt seem to notice the cold at all, if we are sat freezing cold with umpteen layers on drinking hot tea he is drinking water in tshirt n pants.

My son loves to weare coats and fleeces all the time, even when it is very warm!.........he would keep his coat on all day if you let him :rolleyes:

My son loves to weare coats and fleeces all the time, even when it is very warm!.........he would keep his coat on all day if you let him :rolleyes:

I am the same. Hardly ever am I found without either a coat or jumer on even on the hottest days of the year.

i am the opposite

i prefer to be cold, never wear jumpers, and never have the heating on in my room,

even in the middle of winter my room is like 'siberia' window open and no heating, wearing shortie jammies.

i don't like to be too hot.

Thanks so much to everyone who shared their experiences - it's really helping me understand myself better. My brother (also AS) complains that he's hot more often than cold, so it's interesting to see that it does go both ways. I have a vast array of long-sleeved tops :D

Jb - Thanks for your comment, your daughter sounds quite similar to me. I also have scars from burning myself on a hot water bottle. I put boiling water in it (I know it says you shouldn't :ph34r: ) but I can't feel it otherwise. Unfortunately, it's left scars.. I now try to hold it after I've wrapped it in a blanket. And I don't take baths - water goes cold too quick and makes my skin feel funny :blink:

Well, I joined these boards a while ago to find out more about Aspergers in order to help my little brother who was diagnosed last year.. Only to find that in the past few months my psychologist suspects that both myself and my Dad have it too. I've looked into it and I was so shocked that everything that I've struggled with since I started walking and talking is the same for other people on the autistic spectrum. It even explains physical problems that the doctor hasn't been able to work out such as why I never know when to use the toilet until it's too late :oops: And why I had an extreme phobia of food and was hospitilised a few years ago. I guess I just didn't see it, because although my little brother and I are similar, he's far more aggressive than me and there are just differences - e.g I like to rock myself when I'm stressed, where as he fiddles with his hair, I have severe OCD, where as he shows no signs of it. Maybe I was just in denial? But I'll be having an assessment soon and I'm also having an EEG because I've been convulsing in my sleep and waking up soaked in sweat and a sore tongue where I've bitten it. Epilepsy, maybe? It only happens in my sleep though..

Anyway, I wanted to ask if sensitivity to temperature is common or not? Because it doesn't affect my brother.. But I am always cold! I'm wrapped up when everyone else is in shorts and t-shirts (again as a child, I was sent to the doctor because of this and they could find no cause). I've also suffered a number of burns over the years because somehow I didn't feel it :wacko: So I have to be careful with the kettle and in the shower, ect. Although my Mum usually does these things for me anyway.

Just wondered if anyone can share any experiences :)

Our son Jay has ASD and learning difficulties, but i feel he too may have a sensitivity to tempreture...he hates wearing long sleeved tops/fleeces /jumpers....etc.....and will go out in his pull ups only (as he strips off to just them when he gets home from school) and will jump around on the trampoline with ice on it( if we let him LOL)

he doesnt feel the cold hardly...he is happy with just pull ups on and only wears clothes if he is leaving house then he strips off when we have reached our destination LOL so maybe he has a sensory thing going on??

just wanted to let you know that your not alone!

bless their little ways! >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>