lorryw

flaming foodie sausages

Does anyone else have problems cooking those foodie posh sausages. You know the ones, apple and pork, caramalised onion, garlic and herb etc etc. Everytime I cook them the smoke from the grill is intense and they take forever to cook.

Yesterday was eventful. Firstly while walking the dog I thought I had discovered a corpse in the park. After flagging down a passing neighbour we decided he was drunk and sleeping it off but called an ambulance anyway as he had obviously been in the park all night. I was shocked at the amount of people who had simply walked past without a second glance.

Back to the sausages, I placed them under the grill and they were spitting and spluttering a lot. Suddenly a huge woosh and the flames were licking out of the top of the grill and onto the cupboard above. I panicked and thought I would douse the flames with a tea towel, screeching as I did it. My husband ran in turned off the grill, closed it and the flames went out. He said I had looked like a demented Kermit the frog, leaping around waving a tea towel. After a quick cry I finished them off in the frying pan.

Normal sausages are fine but for some reason the posh ones are a nightmare to cook, or is it just me?

Loraine

I can never ever cook sausages, like you I set the cooker on fire, espeically my previous gas fire, hence I have electric now, I would try oven baked, or shallow fry, I can never get sausages to look like they do in a resturant or cafe, I dont really eat sausages now though, kind of gave up.

Hope the oven baked are better.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

like a demented Kermit the frog,

Lor - that's had me in fits of giggles! :lol::notworthy:

The answer - either don't eat 'em........ or bung 'em in the oven - even if they do explode, there's less chance of flames or Kermit. ;)

I don't like cheap sausages at all, I only eat the posh ones. I always oven bake them, though I'd never thought of doing it in the grill pan so the fat can drain, that is a good idea!

Cafes often deep-fry sausages, which is how they get them nice and evenly cooked, but it's not terribly good for you.

Mmm, bangers 'n' mash - my favourite meal :eat:

A lot of sausages, including the posh ones have a very high fat content and it's the fat that causes the smoking/flames. If you DON'T prick them before cooking more of the fat stays in the sausage (so they're tastier and less dry too) and there's less risk of smoke/flames (but more risk of explosion ... but that's fun! :unsure:)

He said I had looked like a demented Kermit the frog

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this look - it's one I practise/preach on a daily basis :bounce::wacko:

Plus, if it weren't for sausages, a lot of people would never get round to checking their smoke alarms... :rolleyes:

Ive never had a problem cooking posh sausages on my GF type electric grill thingy. I do pre-oil the grill to do it though and there is a bit of smoke.

Posh sausages are nice though!! Plus less fat and salt than the "value" ones.

I always find with my local supermarket they have loads of the top range sausages reduced to clear. Ive now got 20 packs in freezer having paid only 25p a pack :lol:

Since I set it on fire, I never use the grill any more and I always bake sausages. I like the posh ones. They are very fatty though, and they still produce a lot of oil in the oven. I prefer boerewors (a traditional South African sausage made with spices) and I've found a butcher who knows how to make it properly - it's almost pure beef and very little fat. No fuss, no mess - delicious! :)

K x

Always use law fat sausages. Don't like spicy one. Nearly always grill them, never had any catch fire??.

The ones in cafes and the like are done in a deep fat fryer.

Since I set it on fire,

There must have been something wrong with the grill for it to literally set the food on fire :blink:

They are very fatty though, and they still produce a lot of oil in the oven.

Thats why i always have them on a grill pan if i oven cook them. At least the fat comes out when cooking and doesnt stay in.

The oil that collects in the grill pan pan got too hot and caught fire. I'm too scared to do it now. I've had a couple of accidents with hot oil. All I can say is, a fire blanket is a handy thing to heave around!

K x

wow kathryn!!!! Im glad i got a fireblanket too!! I have a habit of starting cooking, getting distracted and forgetting ive left stuff cooking :lol:

being fire paranoid i also have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, 4 smoke alarms and a breathing apparatus upstairs :lol: but thats just me :lol: A fire blanket is probably adequate for most households.

Ive never had a problem cooking posh sausages on my GF type electric grill thingy. I do pre-oil the grill to do it though and there is a bit of smoke.

My OH's folks ptsl at me when they use their GF type grilly thing. I keep calling it a G--rge FORMBY!!! Oh, the shame!! :wub:

Breathing apparatus?? Truly? Well, thats what I call organised, indeed!!

Am I the only one that likes the cheaper sausages then? I've tried countless posh varieties, and they just don't have that, Sunday morning, on holiday, straight out the frying pan'1980's thang to them!!

That boerewors sounds good though......I ADORE those salami type sossijes that come in individual green foil packaging- ooh, mmmm.....sadly, they're so high in fat they're an every-now-n-then treat.

Strangely, Cal won't eat sauages, OR spicy grub, but enjoys on of the abovementioned snacky things....weird!

Breathing apparatus?? Truly? Well, thats what I call organised, indeed!!

Nah not that organised, just its because I was trained to an advanced firefighter in the navy so old habits die hard!!! I wont be truley happy until i have my own fire hoses, fire suits, thermal camera etc just like on ship. You get the picture :lol:

Heheh! I used to have a largeish toy fire truck when I were a lass....it was the holy grail of toy fire trucks....it had a reservoir inside, and a rubber hose, and you could pump the water out the hose, how COOL! I've always fancied being a firefighter........though I imagine it can be rather freaky when you're in the midst of a blaze!