Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Cake

I wanted to make my dad a cake for his birthday, so I asked him what his favourite kind of cake was. He said Christmas cake :wallbash:

Anyway, all the Christmas cakes turned up at work the other day, so I decided to cheat a little bit and buy a plain fruit cake. I have put marzipan and icing on it myself! I don't have the right equipment or a steady hand, so I knew I wouldn't get the icing anywhere near flat. My icing recipe did suggest smoothing out any imperfections with sandpaper :unsure: but I opted for the "rough, hand-made" look. I stopped short of the Santa decorations and used some mini marzipan fruits instead.

Birthday/Christmas cake!

looks great well done

Edited by something_different

That looks gorgeous, Tally! :thumbs:

Have you seen the ready-made fondant icing that you just roll out and put over the cake? I always cheat and use that because it's already smooth! ;)

Another cunning thing I did once for my DD's birthday when I was about to have another baby literally any moment...I bought a ready iced sponge cake and then decorated it with ribbon, candles, and a teeny ballerina ornament! :clap:

I'm sure your dad will love his special birthday cake :D

Boho :dance:

yummy!!!! me like marzipan and icing!!! :eat:

Yeah, but if you ask for a large slice so you get extra marzipan :eat::eat1:, you have to eat the fruit cake as well .... :unsure: Like Toad in the Hole - you might get more sausages, but you get more batter too.....

It looks really impressive. I always go for the rough look myself. :)

I hope your dad enjoys it.

As my birthday is so close to Christmas (day before), my birthday cake is always the Christmas cake. :rolleyes:

K x

I always go for the rough look myself. :)

K x

Kathryn, I'm sure your husband will be delighted to know that :lol:

Tally, the cake looks nice. I think the rough look looks good too :D The fruit looks nice, but I really dislike the taste of marzipan.

Flora

Another cunning thing I did once for my DD's birthday when I was about to have another baby literally any moment...I bought a ready iced sponge cake and then decorated it with ribbon, candles, and a teeny ballerina ornament! :clap:

I did a similar thing for Lijey's 5th birthday- couldnt get a Spiderman cake big enough to be scoffed by 35 kids and umpty-ump adults, so bought a pre-iced big sponge cake and decorated it meself. Best of it is, writing and details were made using an squeezy icing 'pen' (I am SUCH a cheat!!) and you can get what look for all the world like felt tips to colour in the shapes you cut out of more per-rolled icing.....

I was rather proud of it, atch!

I can't put the pic of it on, the PC won't let me......Hmph!

Your cake looks smashing, Tally, I want a piece!!

Esther x

Edited by pookie170

My dad doesn't like the fondant icing, that's why I made my own.

If you want the most icing, you need a corner piece.

Or you could be my little niece who just nibbled the icing off the front of the cake and kept turning the cake round so that no-one would see, or so she thought. Clever, eh?