jlp

Since ds#2 is going to be at home in the afternoons..

Now ds#2 is going to be coming home at 12.30 most days I was wondering if I should spend an hour in the afternoons doing something with him and whether this would be appropriate or if it would be better to let him watch TV / play in the garden and de-stress?

If I did decide to do something with him has anyone any ideas? He's 5.

I wondered whether we should play some games (he's terrible at losing and cheats and throws the board / game at me if he doesn't win!), maybe doing some letters / numbers by writing in sand / playdough? Crafts?

We won't have that long by the time we get in and feed him and need to go back out and get ds#1 but I'm torn thinking what to do with him, he's the oldest in his class and is needing some simulation but I'm not sure what I should be doing with him!

With J he had a rule NO Kids TV and no Console Games in the hours of school, this was a preference of my own, he was allowed to go on the Internet, play on his interactive CD Roms, Paint, glue, cut and stick, create a master piece, we did lots science projects, making our own volcano, he did a lot cooking, making salads, buns, we went swimming, cycling, and intergrated life skills into the day, loading the washer machine, making a drink, or a sandwhich.

Lego, magetix and kenex where nice calming times, letting him just build up anything he wanted, we learnt to play chess as this is a stratagy game and J is good at this, he is certainly one step of me at times.

We have Sky TV and the Discovery channels are excellent for topics, there pretty educational too, though I understand 5 is still relitively young for tv documentaries.

I think if J was five again I would of had a lot more relaxed or put in activities to help him get tired, soft play wharehouses could be a good place to take him, and they will be quieter too, At sports centres Ive hired the Tennis or badminton court, or the basket ball net to shoot hoops, its one to one and less people around.

We stick to a routine because J needs one, he has his set out for spersific tasks and its set in a sequence so he has an awareness of his day, from beginning to end, it let him knew were he was in the day. So breakfast, dress, play a game, dinner, Play a game, drink and a buiscut, Play Game, Tea.

Watch Tv, Bath, dress into pJays, Supper, Story/cd Bedtime.

I would do what feel like the right rythem for your son, too, we are all different, he may need time to just chill and this doesnt have to be in front of the TV, it could be listening to music, relaxation CDs, and using different tools to help him chill out, defo agree with chilling in the garden, even look at some gardening together, firterlising is in science, so theres a chance he will be learning when he doesnt even realise it.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

My lad went part-time because he wasn't coping with primary when he was 8. I used the time at home to just do things like painting, cooking or going to the park, generally playing together and de-stressing, but it really depends on whether you think working with your child would help or would just make your time together a battle. My lad found it hard enough when he was at school, he really couldn't cope with 'work' when he got home as well, so we just enjoyed our time together and got mentally prepared for the next day at school. Your lad is very young, there is plenty of time ahead for hard work and homework, if I were you I'd just let him play.

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

If he is going part time because he is not coping with full days you should be careful not to overload him, so doing anything too formal with him might be counter-productive.

Anything that he likes doing like painting, or drawing or playing CD-ROMs with an educational twist might be good, but he maybe more in need of downtime (e.g. in a quiet place with relaxing music on) . I think you are the only person whu can judge that, based on how he is when he ggets back from school.

Simon

I agree with simon, leave well away from anything too much like school work as if hes like my son will detest doing it at home, as home is home and school is for school stuff :thumbs: .I would make your afternoons a time to chill out and for doing stuff he really enjoys.You could perhaps do a timetable and let him deciede what he wants to do each day,just make it a short fun thing to do.My son has always needed a few hours of chill down time after a school day :whistle: when he won,t talk or anything he just vegetates in his coat watching scrapheap challenge.

I think you're all right!

He loves cooking and baking so we might do some of that and maybe some painting and jigsaws but I'll go with the flow. He didn't get sent home today (although he did kick the teacher repeatedly, pull work off the walls and throw stuff) and came out in a terrible mood - it was 6pm before he was calmer, so easy does it I think.

When you do cookery, you can always sneak in a few letters - putting pastry initials for Mum, Dad, etc on the pies. Piping initials onto biscuits. You can weigh the ingredients, follow a recipe, count out the cases, etc. It is all educational.

Using scissors and other fine and gross motor skills (jumping, running, threading beads) are all important skills too.