bikemad

Blimey thats cool...

We went to the open evening at the comp ds will go to in a year or so and bonus my son loved it!!!!! And they have a fantastic room for kids with adhd/aspergers etc...the kids can do as much or as little mainstream school as they can cope with and say they are mid class n need space well they just get up n go to this room no questions asked n get to have time out, theres a sensory room a chill out room etc....ds went in the room for a look n said he wished there was something like it in his primary school.

It was a nice surprise tbh cos so many schools just dont wanna help but this school seem to be really good with it so fingers crossed he gets a place there!!!

Hi it does sound absaloutly brilliant, is there any transition plans made yet, I know it isnt until next September but the earlier plans can made the better, visual pictures, teachers, classrooms, TA support, what therapies he will be accessing, social skills group, 1-1 litracey/mathematic support, communication, speech and language therapy. IEPs drawn up before September that sort of thing, statements all ready if they have one, or SA/+ all set up.

Can he go for short periods leading to end of July 09. So it isnt too scarey for Sept 09.

Looking back transition is the biggest most important first step from primary to secondary, especially mainstream school.

It does however seem to have excellent space and good awareness of ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome, which is a massive plus in schools, what sound excellent to this school is that this room isnt an isolation room, Isolation here is a room where disruptive/violent children are sent, so it does sound really theraputic for your son.

Let us know how things develop.

JsMum

Hi it does sound absolutely brilliant, is there any transition plans made yet, I know it isnt until next September but the earlier plans can made the better, visual pictures, teachers, classrooms, TA support, what therapies he will be accessing, social skills group, 1-1 literacy/mathematic support, communication, speech and language therapy. IEPs drawn up before September that sort of thing, statements all ready if they have one, or SA/+ all set up.

Can he go for short periods leading to end of July 09. So it isnt too scary for Sept 09.

Looking back transition is the biggest most important first step from primary to secondary, especially mainstream school.

It does however seem to have excellent space and good awareness of ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome, which is a massive plus in schools, what sound excellent to this school is that this room isnt an isolation room, Isolation here is a room where disruptive/violent children are sent, so it does sound really therapeutic for your son.

Let us know how things develop.

JsMum

Not as yet they apparently start after xmas(spoke to the mam of another kid a year above my son with similar probs)they go up to the comp at least 4 or 5 times for short visits and also spend a couple of hours in the 'chillout' classroom(no idea what the real name is lol). The yr 6 kids do this as part of the course but children like my son and another kid in his class will do it in this school yr(he is yr5) and yr 6 so as they are more used to the whole comp move if that makes sense...from now all thru yr 5 thats left and yr 6 he and the other kid will get to go up extra times to the usual and also if ds wanted to go up just like on an off chance or an evening then im allowed to ring n take him up. I like the fact that the comp has this attitude makes a pleasant change esp when you know how bad my sons current school have been to the point I even had to involve the lea!!!! It is pretty much accepted that he will get a place due to the fact it has this room n other comps near us dont. but we still have to go thru the whole getting a place stuff.

I would have thought that your ds would have priority to go to a school which caters for his needs, although knowing the LEA that probably isn't the case :rolleyes: If I were you I would TELL the LEA that you want him to go there now so that if you do have to take it further to get him a place there, then you will have sufficient time to sort it out as it can take some time to organise appeals.

Good luck :)

Thats a good point..il give them a ring when the kids go back to school and explain the situation.