merlin1

hello all dla help needed

just found this site and it is very informative. my son is 8 and has just been diagnosed with aspergers after many years of struggling.I have been advised to claim dla but finding it hard to use the correct language that will benefit my claim. I have heard of so many being turned down that i need to get it right first time. Struggling at the moment with his temper and aggresion verbally and physically.I am in ne scotland and would be very grateful of pointers that would be helpful. thanks

:pray:

heya ma mum had same problem wid me wen claimin DLA benefit the best advice i can give you is to go to a medcial professional who know quite abit about aspergers and how it affects ya son daili lyk ya doctor or ED pysch ny1 lyk tat knows him well to explain in depth how bad it actualli is a letter from ya doctor or med professional to see what you can put in these questions i know DLA form is lyk a book so u will need all help u can get as ovawise u wunt get it you realli need to state the ovious to make shore ya entitled to it! hope ya do get it keep appealin n fightin if nufink cumes out of it straight away but patient plz as u will get there .if ya deteremined anugh wich i shore u r! the government dunt understand how AS affects both the suufarar n the famili /carer lokin afta tem hope tis helps u thou if ya need ny more info or advice plz ask! take care kirst-lou

Hi merlin1,

When my son was diagnosed the paediatrician told me to fill the form in as if everyday was the worst day possible as otherwise you're unlikely to get the support you need. I found this really difficult to do as it meant focusing on the most negative effects of his autism and it took me 3 weeks and lots of tears to get through it. I'm not sure if they're looking for exact wording for things, I just filled it in honestly (in regards to worst case scenario) and sent it off. we recieve highest rate care and lowest rate mobility.

Also, not sure if it's the same in scotland but when I informed tax credits that we are recieving DLA they raised the amount i recieved from them for the disability element and (for highest rate care componant) severe disability element!

Hope that helps :)

KJ

Helo merlin and welcome :thumbs:

I found it really helpful to keep a diary for a couple of weeks before filling in the form. It wasn't easy because as KJ said, it means you have to focus on the negatives. It does, however, mean that when you fill the form out you can give examples of the problems you face, rather than just general comments. In each section of the form, I gave an account of something that had actually happened, in detail, and tried to be as 'matter of fact' as possible (not easy!! :hypno:)

Also, you may want to have a look at this : DLA advice

Good luck with it all

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi there,

After my son was diagnosed, the centre where he was diagnosed offered help to fill in the form and it was really great. they helped me with language to use and how to look at each problem in it's "worst case scenario". It doesn't feel great putting down all the bad things about your child but if it helps with getting additional help financially, it's got to be worth it! Good luck

mandy B

One thing I did was read through the reports etc and use some of the phrasing in them.

Don't know how successful as that was only a few weeks ago and not heard back yet.

By the way I did it on line which I found easier. You can take weeks to fill it in, you save it as you go, can go back over it and change it as many times as you like before you submit it and it even prompts you to safe a copy onto your computer or print it off.