Tally

Disabled Tax Credits

You just contact them and they register your child as disabled which means you get slightly highter tax credits. But it is not much

I haven't explained myself very well. I had a stereotypical autistic moment and assumed you all knew my situation :lol:

It's me that is disabled (I receive DLA). I don't have any children and I earn over the threshold for ordinary Working Tax Credits.

I should probably just ring them and ask, but I really don't like making phone calls so I'm trying to avoid doing it.

When you fill in your tax credit form if you get the higher rate DLA you put it on the form and you get a higher rate tax credit.

Or something like that.

Sorry Tally, don't know anything about this. Can you email them to ask?

Alternatively try the good old CAB: I think our local CAB has an email and a drop- in enquiry facility, maybe yours does too?

K x

You could try using www.entitledto.com

You put in your income, etc and it tells you what you are entitled to.

I think you get an extra "premium" added to yout tax credit allowance if you have a disability (and even more if it is classed as severe).

When you fill in your tax credit form if you get the higher rate DLA you put it on the form and you get a higher rate tax credit.

Or something like that.

I had a look on the tax credit site and it looks that there are a number of hoops you have to jump through before you can get the disability premium.

Does anyone know anything about Disabled Person's Tax Credits?

This website isn't really very clear: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/disabled-people.htm

Even the downloadable Disability Help Sheet didn't explain it.

Maybe I am just being dim, but I can't work out whether I can apply.

Hi Tally

Disabled Tax Credits are a type of enhanced working tax credit . As a disabled person in receipt of DLA , if you work more than 16hrs a week you can get a top up. To see if you are eligible go onto HMRC website and do the Tax credits calculation or phone 0845 300 3900.

Jannih

I was interested in this for my grown up daughter. She has Asperger's and has never worked, so I presume that she isnt entitled.

The first two conditions seem to contradict each other, or is it just me.

>>If you have a disability and usually work 16 hours or more a week, you may be able to get extra tax credits.

Who's entitled to the extra money?

To qualify, you have to meet all of these conditions:

you must usually work for 16 hours or more a week

you must have a disability that makes it hard for you to get a job

you must be receiving, or have recently received, a qualifying sickness or disability-related benefit >>

I presume if you work less than 16 hours (or don't work) because of a disability you would be getting other types of benefit. They are trying to encourage people with a disability to work, even if it is only part-time, and want to make sure they are better off if they do.

would she be entitled to the incapacity benifit (or new equivilent) if she is unable to work???? That should be in addition to DLA as DLA doesnt count as income for most benefits.

I was brave and rung them up and they think I am entitled to about �20 a week. They can't send me an application form without my NI number, so I now have to psych myself up to ring them AGAIN with my NI number to hand.

Wonder if theyd backdate it,

I think it will be dated from when claim goes in.

So do it today.

Edited by chris54

:o its looking like he might be able to get another �50 a week :o

Wonder if theyd backdate it, we had no idea.

Def going to apply :thumbs:

There are different rules for different benefits - many will backdate up to three months, but as this years tax credits are worked out on last years wages, you may get more. No harm in asking (best to do it in writing, as you will get someone senior replying, and hopefully get the correct information).

If at any time, you asked re: other benefits and you were not told about this, you may be able to get them to backdate it further.

Thats good news pearl!!!! He deserves the money if he cant work and while he trys to get work as its hard enough currently let alone with a "disability" as well.

Im trying to find out my "benefits status" as my pension has been changed from a normal pension to a war disablement pension and is now tax free so it might mean i can get some benefits, which would be nice as the current system says i can live on the �27 a month left over after my mortgage is paid!! :wallbash: good job ive had stuff to sell and a credit card to use to make up basics!!

Thats good news pearl!!!! He deserves the money if he cant work and while he trys to get work as its hard enough currently let alone with a "disability" as well.

He's working full time in his apprenticeship Warren but still gets DLA which is what might qualify him for tax credits too. He's only on a tiny wage & is saving really hard for his own place, so if he's entitled he might as well claim it. :thumbs: Just wish we'd known a year ago.

WOOHOO!!!!!! JP's been awarded �350 a month, backdated to January! :o

It will probably halve after April as its based on the tax year he started work, & he only started partway through - or something - so his annual income was lower than usual - :unsure: - what a boost for the lad :thumbs:

Thanks so much for flagging this up Tally, we'd never have thought to apply otherwise.

Free money is always a good thing. I'm getting �25 a week this year based on last year's P60, but it will probably go down to about �18 a week next year as I've had a pay rise. Although it's possible they will alter the threshholds for it because of inflation, and my pay rise has only been in line with inflation. Anyway, it's enough to cover what I will lose when I go part time, which is a big relief!