Sign in to follow this  
desperate

criminal damage

hi there some of you will no doubt remember the trials and tribulations we had with my son Neil whilst he was at school, they have proved to be nothing in comparison with the difficulties he has encountered since reaching adulthood, most of them could quite easily be considered to be of his own making but non the less they have proved very disturbing for him to handle and his depression levels have increased to sucidal proportions. During this time he also found that alcohol helped to make the world go away.

A couple of months ago on his nineteenth birthday he went out to celebrate with a couple of friends. While he was out an empty flat was broken into and smashed up pretty badly. One of the boys, also autistic has been proven to be involved in this appaling incident, he had cut himself while breaking a window and has since been charged. Neil was questioned by the police and put on police bail, the other boy had reported to the police that Neil was there. Neil was interviewed by the police and denied all of this, he also said he was drunk and didn't know what he had been doing. After being put on police bail with a return date to the police station, he received a letter a few days later from the police to say that they had cancelled his bail and they were no longer investigating him.

The other boys father has since made contact and said that he is certain Neil was there although the police found no evidence and he is demanding that we pay half of the fine his son will get. This boy has been told the fine could well be �2000 and he is likely to get a custodial sentence.

Although I feel very sorry for this boy and his family and could not say whether Neil was there or not I must go with the denial made by Neil and the lack of any evidence found by the police I am now very concerned as to the future repercussions. It's all a very sorry mess

There is no legal or other basis for the father to ask you to pay half the fine. The Police and the Crown Prosecution Servoce are the correct people to make that decision on who should be prosecuted and they have done so, and it is incredibly unlikely that if the roles were reversed the boy father would be knocking on your door offering to pay for half the fine. If your son had also been charged and conviceted he would have been fined as well, they wouldn' have split the fine between the two boys.

Youshould tell him that the matter is in the hands of the courts and you are not going to try and change their decision. The only possible repercusions for you or your son are if the boys father tries to take the law into his own hands. This is why it is very important that if the other boys father behaves towards you in a way that could be interpreted as intimidating or threatening you should call the police.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

I think you should mention this to the police now as if you are asking for advice. That way, if the other boy's father escalates his behaviour, they already have this problem on record.

Agree with whats already been said regarding the fine.

Who was the "ringleader"??? Was he being coerced to do it??

Is alcohol a major problem with him?? Some people just cant handle alcohol when drunk and do stupid things.

I guess the important thing is trying to stop it happening in the future.

I would absolutely definately talk to the police, Even if you know in your heart of hearts that he was there, he , this man has NO rights to to this, I wish you luck, there but for the grace of god goes many of us mums here. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

The other boys father has since made contact and said that he is certain Neil was there although the police found no evidence and he is demanding that we pay half of the fine his son will get.

I believe this is perverting the course of justice.

The other boys father has since made contact and said that he is certain Neil was there although the police found no evidence and he is demanding that we pay half of the fine his son will get.

I would contact the police about this.

The father could end up in court himself if he is not careful.

The fact is that no evidence was found against your son and as he cannot remember anything about it, it is likely that he had no part in the brake in, even if he was with those that did prier to and after the event.

My experience is that the other boy is likely to be saying this to his father to mitigate himself.

It is up to defence to raise in mitigation, at any court case that others unknown where involved and that X was not wholly responsible for damage.

Ooh, desperate, tell the police this man has contacted you, just in case it escalates.

Hopefully the whole sorry case will be concluded soon and Neils' friend and his family can put it behind them.

Hope things go more smoothly for you all,

Esther x