Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

How to complain

Hi,

I think and hope new school once having recieved ds statement will still agree to take him and be able to meet his needs.

This leaves me with the difficult disision as what to do with regard to old/current school. I have so many concerns with regard to the way my son has been treated,I have choosen to remove him. I believe it is now up to me to complain about the school or not...

Would you just go quietly, and not bother complaining or would you follow it through and complain(in detail) how the school ignored a statement of special needs so much so I felt the need to remove my son.

My problem is also I live in a very small comunity and those I will need to complain about I may see on a regular basis.

I have mixed feelings, in a way feel once we are out of that school I could do with out the hassel of complaining but also feel the school need to be made accountable for the problems they have caused and if they are letting down a child with a statement what on earth are they doing to the children on sa and sa+ ?

If I do not complain I feel I am letting down the sen children at the school and those that are sure to enter the school in the future, but should I leave it and let other parents go through what I have for the last three months?

I really feel this is a dilema because I am pretty unpoular as it is but I think things at that school must change and if I don't complain just because I am tired of it all maybe they will get away with bad practice and fail other sen children????

your thoughts please

Complain please.

Schools will continue to act inproperly unless we as parents show the they cannot get away with it.

Do you have a copy of the schools complaint procedure, if you dont have it ring and request it so you can follow it.

I worry that you are being conned a bit hun. Did the ed officer actually say hed sorted out a new school for you - to have a new school sorted in jan seems very quick?

Have you got any advice from ipsea ? My concern is that you will be put in a position where you are conned inot taking your child off the school roll which means the La can sit on their behinds and do nothing.

There maybe issues regarding the school welfare officer as well re attandance. I know other parents have got aroud LA manipuation by keeping the education officer informed by letter early so they cover their backs. And have paper evidecne.

I personally dont trust education officers, they so often say one thing and do something complaetley differnt - just watch what you agree to PLEASE AND GET SOME ADVICE

hi i think u shud complain as the scool have totally let yr child down, it will be hard i have just been through it with camhs i put a complaint in about reeces phsychologist but its the best thing ive done.. she now cant do enough for us and we also got a second opinion from a phsychiatrist who has now diagnosed reece with an asd...... has taken me 6 yrs to get a diagnosis and so wish id complained earlier.....

as u say its not just yr family they have let down it cud happen to many more ... good luck watever u deside

love donnaxxxxxxx

Hi Bluefish,

I would concentrate first on getting your son into the school you want. Hopefully that will be straightforward, but if there's a bit of a battle you will need all your energy for that. Complaining might make you feel good, but it won't help your son's future and may even jeopardise it, if the LA decide to portray you as you as vexatious and aggressive. If you focus on the failings of the current school the LA may take the view that the school can still accommodate your son if it makes a few improvements, and may refuse the school you want.

When all is done and dusted and your son is out of the school and doing well elsewhere, that's the time to complain.

K x

Hi

You have a duty to your child and others in the same/similar position. Complain! That's the only way that things can change.

C.

Hey Bluefish,

I do think you should complain, but think Kathryn's advice is excellent- wait till your son is settled at his new school, then go for it.

I hope things go well with the new school, btw, let us know how it goes, hey?

Esther x

My situation is different in that my lad has now gone up to secondary. But his new school(sn) have now complained about the reports they got from his (mainstream) primary. They were so far off it was unbelievable, I knew what was in these reports but i needed my strength to move him and settle him. As it is things have worked out for the best and all them years of moaning and fighting for my son his new teacher has done the final bit. My advice is hold your horses settle him down, then get views from your new school and then complain. good luck

Edited by rach04

Personally I would wait and see how this new school treat your son and see how he settles in, just incase this school do similair things, I went from one negative school to another and at first the second school promised this and that, once in they took away his funding and treat me and J negitively,

I was very afriad that it was going to happen in no 3 school but was relieved to have found an understanding and supportive headT.

If it helps write a pretend complain letter and then burn it and channel your energies into ensuring the new school forfills your expectations.

If over time the school is supportive and proves that the first school was inadequate then you could look at writing a complaint letter as you will have the evidence to prove it.

I personally have complained, a lot too, for me, I was happy knowing my concerns and opinion where shared.

It didnt change anything like, but it did make me feel better.

What matters at the end of the day though, is that your lad is happy in a school that meets his special educational needs, a good school will want the same for your child too.

Good luck with the move, hope it works well.

JsMum

:bat: Complain until you are blue in the face, you have to in order to get the right support for you child. It makes no difference if you live in a small community. someone once said to me "let them know what they are dealing with from the onset" I have wrote so many letters of complaint so much so that the social services are now going to train their staff on ASD. Victory! yes, very much so, sit back and they will continue to show their ignorance on such a scale that it leaves you in despair for your childs future.

Do it and be proud that you stood up for your child and other children with ASD. If you dont who will? Good luck make your voice heard loud and so very clear for our babies x x :shame: