Sign in to follow this  
ryansmum2

Statutory Assessment & Statement - Whats the Difference Please ?

hi all

please can you help me - i'm confused as to where to go from here,

my son really, really needs so much more help than he's getting (this has been more than confirmed by his teacher)

he has 1 to 1 1/2 and hour per shcool day, has DX Aspergers, and has been on SA+ for last 3 years....

do i ask for an Assessment or for him to have a Statement ?

do i do the one before the other ?

any help / advice would be great

many thanks mel xx

Hi Mel

A Statutory Assessment is the first stage of the process towards receiving a Statement.

My understanding is that the LEA will arrange for an assessment to be carried out, and they will then use that to make a decision on whether a statement is needed.

I'm sure there are many others here who will have more detailed knowledge, but I hope that made some sort of sense :blink:

Nicky >:D<<'>

hi Nicky

thanks for that !

yes , i wasnt sure though ,that if the parents think that a Statement is nesscesary ,

wether we can apply for a Statement before an Assessment ?

im so confused !

mel xx

Hi Ryansmum

Your child must have a statutory assessment first - there's no other way of getting a statement - i.e. you can't ask for a statement first. So the right thing to do is to formally request the LA to carry out a statutory assessment. That sets the whole process in motion.

The chart below should help to show the various stages and the timescales involved. Have a look at it, see if it makes sense, and do ask more questions if you need to. It's a confusing process when you're just starting out!

http://www.nas.org.uk/content/1/c6/01/40/5..._assessment.doc

K x

If his school is in agreement he needs help they can start the ball rolling and get him assessed! There are so many stages and it does take quite a while but hang in there and put the pressure on them to speed the process up!

Does you're son see an educational psychologist, they will advise if a statement is to his benefit and link in with his school to get things rolling!

Just to add that to get a statement it has to be shown that satisfactory progress is not being made under SA+ and that a child needs more help than can be provided by SA+..

Edited by chris54