Sign in to follow this  
DMM

IEP help

Hi, Spoke to my sons teacher today and she told me that our O.T. had contacted her to discuss a few things she'd like put in place for him. One was an IEP, but the teacher has never done one before and is going to look into it first. Can anyone tell me if i get to see this or is it kept within the school. This is all new to me so not sure what happens.

You should be involved in developing your childs IEP.

Its an individual education plan that can last 6-12 months.

So for example is they have difficulty reading it will state reading as the problem

and ............ is to be one book per week at level .........

Or

............ has balance difficulties...............to perform a set of exercise twice a day so many repetitions.

You also get a copy of it

It is usually the schools senco that draws up an iep with the help of ot (and any other agencys that are involved) and the teacher. When you are issued with your iep you have a copy as well and it is discussed and signed. Hope this helps.

Thank you. That does help. He's 10 so probably will be involved, i would think. He doesn't have any educational problems, just co-ordination and social/emotional problems. Not sure how he'll reach any targets as he's in tears most days, but hopefully it'll work put.

Thanks again

You SHOULD get a copy, but if the teacher does not know much about IEPs it makes you wonder how good the school is at following the SEN Code of Practice. Read the CofP (available on the internet), and use it to make sure they keep you informed.

Thank you. That does help. He's 10 so probably will be involved, i would think. He doesn't have any educational problems, just co-ordination and social/emotional problems. Not sure how he'll reach any targets as he's in tears most days, but hopefully it'll work put.

Thanks again

Hi I have a helpful hint for you.If your DS has social/emotional problems that are affecting his ability to cope with school then these would count as educational problems.Problems with co-ordination that prevent or hinder your child in accessing any area of the curriculum at a level provided for other children of the same age would also count.A child can be very able in educational terms and still be classed as having SEN [special educational needs].Ben is very bright indeed.He has dyspraxia and AS.He has problems with co-ordination and can be challenging at home and at school especially when he is unsettled by change.Ben has full time support in school.

If your ds does not have difficulties with literacy or numeracy then the iep could focus on targets related to developing social skills or could relate to a specific issue to do with co-ordination.The iep could even relate to activities during unstructured times....like support with deveoping friendships at break time.

One of the targets could address whatever the issues are that result in him being in tears most days...if these are to do with difficulties with frienships,group dynamics or anxiety .

I hope that helps.Karen.

Hi.I forgott to say.If an IEP is drawn up and agreed your DS should also be recorded on the SEN register.If an external professional [like an OT ] is involved it would probably be at school action plus.It is worth ensuring that the school follow the correct procedure if the teacher is not familiar with it.If you decide at a later date that your child needs more support such as a Statutary Assessment of SEN the LEA will require evidence that the school have taken all the necessary steps to put support in place at earlier stages.

If the teacher appears unsure about the iep it may be worth asking to meet with the SENCO.Karen.

Hi Karen, Thanks for your advice. I didn't realise he would be on the register, great news to me! Although Greg doesn't go to the SEN teacher i do know her quite well as i did go to her for advice. (she told me he didn't need to see an OT and would just have to learn to stop the crying, very helpful!) The teacher does seem to be keen to find out all she can to help, so that's reassuring. My OT phoned today and told me Greg scored a lot better than she originally thought in his assessment. His gross motor skills were borderline, visual motor & visual perception- above average, he doesn't have dysparaxia (which surprised us all), the sensory profile is being reported after the speech therapist and clinical psychologist have seen him. His weak areas are throwing, catching etc. She thinks we'll be looking for a diagnosis of aspergers, but isn't sure if he'll tick all the boxes. It's so frustrating as all i want is some advice as to how to help him cope when he's feeling upset. Hopefully the IEP will help a bit. Thanks again, it's nice to be able to know what to expect and what to look for. Debbie