Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Statement Advice please

Hi,

my ds undx ASD age 4.5, but sure to be soon dx as somewhere on spectrum. We are starting stat ass process, he is mainstream and doing very well, no major issues, has settled well and making good progress. When he goes into Reception he will need some level of support especially to keep him focussed on task.

He would seem almost definately to also have dyspraxia, our OT waiting time is 2.5 years :( . We are going to go private for an assessment but would not be able to fund therapy as that would be ongoing. Just wondered is it possible for OT to be part of statement in the same way as SALT, then it becomes a legal requirement?

Thanks for any advice.

Elaine

Elaine

The short answer is Yes, but it will depend on which section of the statement it is written into, as to whether the needs are being noted or they are part of what the school is required to deliver.

Hopefully Nellie will be along in a minute to give you the definitive answer!

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Elaine,

To have OT written into part 2 of the statement is must be an educational need. The provision to meet that SEN would be written into part 3. The LEA are only legally responsible if it is in part 3. I believe some LEA's are still arguing that OT is not an educational need.

The following shows the Bromley case for OT being an educational need.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/caselaw.htm#Bromley

I think you should contact IPSEA for up to date information and advice.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Nellie xx

Thank you all for your replies. I have now booked a private OT to come and assess Matthew (our waiting list 2.5 years :wallbash: ). Purely by chance I seem to have picked well from the list given to me by CAMS. The lady has special interest in ASD and does some work at an ASD school. Reason for posting is that it is such a coincidence that she mentioned this issue of having OT on statement. Although not in my LEA, she has a few kids in other areas whos LEA pay for her to go into school and give OT to kids who have it on their statement. She also mentioned about it needing to be in the right section of the statement. I have also followed Helen's advice and asked our LEA for their policy (nothing heard yet!)

Anyway we are very lucky and dh parents have offered to pay for the assessement, it is expensive due to the hours - 3 to assess, 3 to report and further 1 hour to meet at school if we would like. As we were going to foot the bill anyway, this means we can now use our budget to pay for some actual therapy - which we originally thought we would not be able to do.

Elaine

Hi :)

My son has Dyspraxia as well as AS, and from the age of 5 until he was 11 I continually nagged and he had group OT/Physio sessions. These were blocks of 6 sessions, once or twice a year. One great year he had 3 blocks!

They did help, but I was never able to get him the 1:1 he really needed. I wasn't able to get him a Statement in those days (because no Krism!! :tearful: ), but off her own back the OT did come into school for a few sessions to help with his dreadful writing problems.

Anyway, although it's not specified in his Statement, he now has one session a week with the OT at his residential school. I'm so thrilled by this, but just wish it had been 10 years ago :tearful: He is making very good progress, with them concentrating on strengthening his right shoulder and hand. :thumbs:

I do wonder how he would be now if he had been able to have regular, frequent 1:1 OT throughout his childhood...but it wasn't available on the NHS (I got him far more than most local children seemed to get because I wouldn't leave it), and we simply couldn't afford private help :tearful:

It makes me so angry that our children don't get even the basic help they need :devil:

Good luck with getting it included on his Statement!

Bid :wacko: