Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Shaving

Hi, just wondered if anyone had ideas. My son Glen will not let you shave him with an electic razor. I guess he doesn't like the sensation of the razor on his skin. Has anyone else come across this problem, I really don't know what to do, I wondered if there were any 'special needs' razors on the market at all, or am I clutching at straws?? Anyway just thought I would ask. I would not consider wet shaving and neither would hubby Carl, so its no good anyone suggesting that one!

Jeanne

I was thinking of trying a facial hair removing cream, has anyone tried such creams and if so can you recommend any?

I bought my DS the very simplest, cheapest electric razor (good thing, he dismantled/broke about 3) when he was about 14ish.

Interestingly, as an adult he chooses to wet shave so maybe the sensation is better?

Could you try wet shaving, maybe doing it for him at first?

Creams...used them on my legs. The smell is very, very strong which might be a problem. Also, maybe a bit harsh for faces?

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Hi Jeanne,

My son is now 23 and I think from previous posts your lad is quite similar to mine. I would love to find an electric razor with minimum sound and vibration, he just cant tolerate them. He is very dark and we have to shave him every other day which can be a real trial if he isnt in the mood.

We shave him in the bath after having his hair washed, I put olive oil on his face (cheaper than those posh shaving oils and more effective) and then shaving foam and then my husband steps in and quickly shaves him.

We used to let him pretend to shave my husband with the safety cover on the razor and then my husband would do the same, it just got him used to the sensation.

good luck

Lorainex

My stepson never did shave, just grew a full set. He is now 22 and still not shaving.

Whether to shave or not --- its just fashion after all.

Hi Jeanne,

my adult son is the same. I have now found a beard and moustache trimmer (argos) around 25 pound. It is much smaller than a standard electric razor and not so buzzy, and it may not shave as 'close ' but he will tolerate it, and it does the job.

I don't shave that much either. I tend to do it once every couple of months when the hair gets too irritating. :whistle: I have an electric shaver that I barely use because I don't like the noise and it causes a lot of irritation, and a mach 3 turbo which works but the blades are expensive. :unsure: I'm thinking about going for a hot towel shave at the barbers at the end of our road, but have never had anybody do it before and the thought makes me nervous.

SG

Thanks for your replies so far, my hubby wouldn't wet shave Glen he's had bad experiences himself when he was younger so thats a non-starter I'm afraid! It is very difficult, I don't know whether to try the facial removal creams or not if anyone has tried them please let me know if they are worth buying or not.

I originally bought my stepson an electric razor that you can use wet or dry. It looked similar to a bladed razor in shape, and wasn't to noisy. After a while of him shaving in the shower, he told us that his razor wasn't shaving him properly, he has a strong beard, and asked for a wet shave. This started with me shaving him in stages, as he was scared and kept moving. Soon he was asking to do it himself as he wanted the control. I spent hours with him encouraging and sometimes taking over from him, until now he shaves himself with a wet razor. Touch wood we haven't had any trips to A&E and he manages well. We just make sure we check the blades, making sure he has the safest and easiest on the market ( fusion) this way he doesn't have to try hard to get a good shave.

Robbie

One other thought - have you thought of a beard trimmer on it's lowest setting?

I've never been able to use an electric razor - for some reason they triggered ingrowing hairs and and horrible boils, which was a real shock as I've mostly had a flawless complexion even as a teen :wub:

I went 'beardy' again a few years ago and invested in a trimmer (the last time i was weirdy beardy i just used scissors for trimming), and it's never given me a problem and feels completely different to a 'leccy razor (which always felt more like it was pulling them out rather than trimming them)...

Unless he went for the necky werewolf look you'd have to help him shave the non- trimmed area outgrowth every now and again, but much easier than the whole face and a good starting point for full facial grooming later on.

If wet shaving, the newer ones have all sorts of guards in place to minimise the chances of a cut, but on the downside with a triple blade if you cut once you cut thrice! There was a tip in a Michael Keaton film i saw once - never move the razor sideways, just up and down :)

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D