Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Handwriting

Hi Bid,

It was just mentioned by the private OT in our first phone call.

She would recommend this especially for the level of difficuly my ds has (scored 0.1 centile on spatial skills).

It is a US program and I had a look at the website, there seems to be quite a lot of resources you need to buy and also it seems to be a whole different way of teaching so not sure how this would fit in in the classroom. She did also say that some teachers don't like it as it teaches capital letters first.

The website is www.hwtears.com.

I have emailed the program to ask is it something that can be taught alongside traditional methods, say if I wanted to do it at home but not had reply yet.

Elaine

Mmm...

That sounds different. When Auriel was little there was a system used to help children with Dyspraxia to write. This involved using a joined, cursive script straight away, as the child didn't have to keep putting the pen off and on the page (if you see what I mean!).

Don't know if that's still going, but there might be something on the link to The Dyspraxia Foundation.

Bid :wacko:

Hi sounds interesting,my son struggles with his handwriting, he did an OT course called Theordiscu (a polish chap invented it I,ve probably spelt it wrong).It involved swirling circles and lines etc, did,nt make that much difference though his writing is appalling still.Be interested to find out more about this program.

Hi elainem -

Another one with no knowledge to contribute but asking for more info as you get it. Anything that'll help Ben to get up to speed and overcome his frustration would be a godsend...

One little tip that has helped a bit; buy or make a slanting board (I put a couple of books under the back legs of the coffee table!) for resting on. Does make things a little easier, and is something that can be done (with a bit of ingenuity) anywhere.

BD

the program mailed me back and said can do at home only need 10 mins a day. I want to know if it will be a problem to do this at home, alongside traditional methods of teaching. I am going to ask the OT when she comes on 12th May. I don't mind buying the stuff so long as it has a chance of success.

I will try anything Matthew (4.5 y) is on the 0.1 centile for spatial skills. They stopped trying to teach him to write his name and concentrated on letter M, we are now on A ;) .

Elaine

Theordiscu is very good for fine motor skills - I've used it with children in Y3, daily 10mins, with good results for most of them (most of the group of 8 had either sensory issues or dyspraxic symtoms). It's supposed to help them get to grips with the basic shapes of writing rather than teach script and it is good for children with spacial awareness problems. It's particularly good for young children as it is a series of 'colouring book' pages for the child to complete - eg. drawing the bubbles for a page of fish.

The kids I used it with really enjoyed it although I thought they would already be a bit old when the senco suggested it.

With my dyslexic/dyspraxic daughter, now 9, I was asked in Y1 to work on her handwriting but she just couldn't grasp the general school script.

Then I remembered way back in my misspent (?) youth when I worked in the most amazing freeschool (which sadly isn't there any more or my 2 would be there) the head insisted that, because we had so many dyslexic children (8 out of 10 in my class), we taught cursive because the flow helped children to remember the shape of the word. I have beautiful cursive whiteboard script!

So cursive it was, and she has really taken to it.

funnily enough the new school she transferred to last year have just introduced a semi-cursive script from reception as part of the dyslexia friendly schools project here. Dot still uses full cursive but all her loops don't stand out so much any more.

The sloping writing surface is a must as it forces the child to sit in the correct position for writing - it's less tiring and helps muscle control - at home we use a large lever arch file.

I also invested in those curved, shaped pens that stabilo have started making, they're specially designed to encourage proper grip which is essential for children with fine motor difficulties.

I also bought her one

good luck

Zemanski

The stabilo ('s move) pens are good - you cannot press too hard using them, which has always been a problem for my son. They do LH one too, which is good.

Karen

sorry didn't read the last post properly, but there appear to a few types of move pens. the 'easy' one looks the most likely, is that the right one?

Thanks

Elaine

I can't remember the name but the pen has

'stabilo 's move' written on the barrel

The pens are in 2 colours - grey/orange, red/yellow, blue/blue, pink/pink

They are hand specific - L/R

they are curved and take cartridges

they are pretty odd looking - you can't miss them

Zemanski