wasuup

Epilepsy?

My son's teacher mentioned that he was what appeared to be daydreaming quite often in class. She said sometimes it looked like he really wasn't with it at all kind of spaced out. He is curreently being assessed for ASD and Dyspraxia. Could this be epilepsy too-or something else ADD perhaps? Has anyone got a similar experience?

My son's teacher mentioned that he was what appeared to be daydreaming quite often in class. She said sometimes it looked like he really wasn't with it at all kind of spaced out. He is curreently being assessed for ASD and Dyspraxia. Could this be epilepsy too-or something else ADD perhaps? Has anyone got a similar experience?

Hi Wasuup

Just speaking from experience; I have a tendency to space out. There is epilepsy in my family but as far as I know I don't have it. I do know that I don't temporaily lose consciousness. I am aware that someone is speaking to me and I am listening, but others don't see it that way. They either think I don't understand what they are saying, even though I do. Sometimes, people wave their hands in front of my face (which in my opinion is very rude) to make sure that I am registering with them.

My sister seems to think that I space out when I am not coping with what is being said, although I am not entirely sure of her theory.

The best thing for your son is to get him assessed for both epilesy and ASD. He might possibly have both ; who knows.

The first possibility might be absence seizures, which mainly happen in childhood. The child does briefly lose consciousness and is unaware of what is happening, but appears to be 'daydreaming'.

With simple partial seizures the person doesn't lose consciousness, and is aware of what is happening to them but cannot stop or control their symptoms.

The best thing is to talk to your GP about a referral to a paediatric neurologist.

Good luck >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Edited by bid

My DD did that too when she was much younger.....had tests for epilepsy but proved negative. In DD's case this 'vacancy' seems to have been outgrown. But as suggested, do go and get it checked out.

Thank you all-I will let you know what the outcome is.

Hi both my youngest daughters do this also, but saying that i do, and when i have these episodes i feel a little wierd before them and i can't stop them i am aware of people speaking but i kind of tune out and then miss what they say, i don't think it is because i don't like what they are saying i just can't help it, i have found it is when i am tired which is most of the time due to having 4 kids and 2 of them being hyper and may be on the spectrum i think they both are but my youngest is 2 she is very intelligent she copies to the finest detail, very independent, still struggling with speech but trying but her tempers are amazing i have never seen a child stamp there feet at 10mths old when not getting their own way, also head butt a door 7 times and not cry, bite themselves, bite metal poles, and even better bite a car.......... My other daughter she is 6 and half and is a mind to her own, i am her slave, i am fed up of the continuous battles from when she gets up to bed everything as to be done now, interupptions, hyperness, very immature, i am having difficulties and when both of them are together well it is whirlwind city i say goodbye to a nice quiet and tidy house, only time it gets tidied is at bed time or in morning before they get up, they just get toys out not to play with to play in the toy box, i will just buy toy boxes for xmas and birthdays will be a lot cheaper :thumbs: Or just make them a den behind the sofa and under the table :rolleyes: They aren't severe though i would say they are at the top end but i do think my eldest daughter as learning difficulties as she is struggling at school. Sharon x

Hi Wassup,

My daughter has both epilepsy and ASD - when she was originally referred (for the epilepsy) to the Paed. - they said that children with ASD can have very similar episodes to absences (which my daughter had as well as complex partials) but they are not epileptic - and that these can be difficult to differentiate - that is why they do an EEG or MRI etc in the first instance. She also has severe panic attacks (caused by anxieties or emotions) which can also look like a seizure.

It's worth mentioning at your next appt. make notes of anything that you think is relevant.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

hi

my son has epilepsy he started at the age of 7yrs and has absence seizures. He "daydreams" - goes blank for a few seconds and his eyes flicker. The more thing noticable was his work began to suffer.

he was referred to a community paad, she did a brief test, which confirmed absences and he got a neurologist.

m.x