Sign in to follow this  
warrenpenalver

different meanings for words.

I usually have problems with words that can have several meanings because i dont always think of the right meaning because i for some reason dont link the sentance or the clues in the previous sentances to tell me which meaning of the word is intended. I think these words are called homonyms.

This can lead to some comical moments.....

In the shopping centre i work at, we use "chips" in the car park barriers. they are round yellow plastic things.

Now whenever i see or hear the word my first thought is the food version and keep imagining seeing a plate of chips.

so i thought id make my own visual representation of what i see, ie a plate of car park chips with sauce etc:

Chips!!!

I showed people at work and i think they now think im nuts :robbie: :robbie: :robbie:

:lol::lol::lol:

I taught a little boy with as, and one morning all the children were parcticing letter formation on their whiteboards while I did the register. I asked if anyone had any letters to go to the office with the register and J said yes, he did. I absent-mindedly asked him to take his letter, and anyone else's to the office with the register for me, and left him to it. A little while later, the secretary came to the door with a pile of white boards and asked me why I'd sent the children's work to the office?

J had been practicing his letters so he had taken everyone's letters to the office! :D

Slightly different, but along the same lines ..........

Walking with little DS yesterday, we came across a bench with a memorial plaque. It read:

'in memory of xxxxxxxxx'

1917 - 2003

who loved to walk here'

DS said 'there should be a question mark at the end'. I just smiled and carried on walking.

About half an hour later I realised that he'd read the lines as seperate sentences and thought the last one was a question, not a statement :lol:

bless :)

Bringing groceries in from the car and a new tenant is moving into our apartment unit carrying his boxes to the door. Matt being the caring person runs ahead and holds open the door for all of us. We all meet up at the door. I say hi and introduce myself: Hi, I'm Marti and welcome, if we can do anything for you let us know. The new neighbor replies: Hi, I'm Rich. My lil' polite boy returns saying: Oh My mom likes rich men. Imagine my embarrassment!

Oh My mom likes rich men. Imagine my embarrassment!

:lol::lol::lol:

Love that one. How's this,

G (who is only 5) is looking at some farm toys he hasn't played with for a while. He says 'Mummy, I've only got 10 hay bales,'

I reply 'Well how many did you start with?'

G says 'Well, I started with one, then two...'

:D

There's no logical reason for it, but I ALWAYS get the words 'homework' and 'pocket money' mixed up. There have been some interesting arguments over that one, I can tell you :whistle:

Karen

x