szxmum

Beware the quiet ones !!

Hello everyone,

I came across this forum by chance yesterday and couldn't believe my luck :thumbs: I have spent so long on my own :crying::wallbash::crying: and today I have been "I'm not on my own, I'm not on my own anymore" :robbie::thumbs::robbie: - you get the picture.

You all seem so helpful and supportive :notworthy: - I have that many questions that I don't know where to start, I honestly don't, my head is just all over the place.

I'll start by telling you a bit about us and our "journey" - it'll help put things in context and hopefully help me get my own thoughts straight :tearful:

My son, 17 is soooo close to diagnosis - it's so close we can almost touch it - the Ed Psych has said it will more than likely be AS. I know that diagnosis isn't everything and it won't solve our problems but at least it will give us a handle, an anchor, a starting point, a common meeting place to try to move forward.

I have spent a lot of time blaming myself, thinking that I was a baaaddd Mum, that there was something in the way I had raised my son that had caused his "problems", caused his pain. I'm almost through this stage now, just have the odd niggle now and again that somehow I have failed / done something wrong.

Looking back, if there was one thing I would wish differently it would have been for a greater awareness of Autism and AS . Of course whether or not I would have accepted that it was intrinsic within my family (both sides) is another issue altogether.

Well I won't overload this first post - I am just relieved to have found you all - will post again later xx

heya im a female with AS i say alot of parents blame themselves feel guilt as part of stages and processes to feel that as you do i know my parents sometimes do just part of me having AS! and them wanting to protect me shielded me help take it away somehow!so i know it don't seem natural but trust me it is! the emotions everything get as much help and support as you can from parents themselves ,sufferers advise and tiips listen to everyones experiences as all different but got stuff in common it important to feel heard within the voice of yours! good luck with diagnosis hope son gets one! as gives you some answers that at the moment are missing!

your keep learning more AS stuff of the 'rollercoaster effect and experience' but take care

XKLX

Hello and welcome! :thumbs:

I have a son who is almost 10,not yet dx but on a way to do it.

I felt the same like you before I joined this forum. It was a great relief when I found it!

Take care.

danaxxx

You only found us yesterday?? You've got a bit of catching up to do - only a few thousand posts to browse through. :);) Welcome!

I have spent a lot of time blaming myself, thinking that I was a baaaddd Mum, that there was something in the way I had raised my son that had caused his "problems", caused his pain. I'm almost through this stage now, just have the odd niggle now and again that somehow I have failed / done something wrong.

I can totally identify with this - it's how I felt too for many years. Probably many parents of undiagnosed children feel the same but if your child has a late diagnosis (mine was 15) you have an even longer time to beat yourself up over your "bad" parenting. You'll get over these feelings in time. Let us know how it goes with the diagnosis.

K x

You only found us yesterday?? You've got a bit of catching up to do - only a few thousand posts to browse through. :);) Welcome!

:lol: Tee hee

I have been browsing all day - lapping it all up, like some poor starved creature :cheers:

:lol: Tee hee

I have been browsing all day - lapping it all up, like some poor starved creature :cheers:

That is so so sad.I have only been here most of the day because its the holidays,its raining and I have two lads who only venture out in search of pizza. :lol: Karen.

Hi, szxmum, glad you joined our gang! I think the guilt thing is common to many of us parents here.......but the more you learn, the more you come to realise that no-one's to blame and that there are great huge silver linings mixed in with all the other stuff too. Not least, becoming a part of the forum!

Nice to 'meet' you!

Esther x