Sign in to follow this  
wasuup

The things they say

The other day my 4 year old was waffling onto himself in the car when I hear him say that " (brothers name) could be recycled and made into something else, toilet roll, or a plastic bottle, or a pen even :unsure:

His little brother was being naughty it was past his bedtime

So he started interfering in me telling his little brother off

SO I said to him “KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT”

He said “I can’t, my nose is in I can’t get it out”

Homebase advert “Make your house a home”

He said “but we don't need to make our house a home, it is already a home”

He did some road training -teacher was asking about why he needed to wear the visibility jacket and was trying to give him hints as to why in the end she said “you need to wear the jacket because cars can see it and say theres.......(name)”

He replied “but cars can’t speak”

He was doing some work on what he did on his hols at school. He drew a picture of himself by a sign saying “Welcome to Manchester”

His teacher asked him why didn’t he draw us all on the train going there as well.

He said "but we are already there".

Does anybody else's child say similar things?

Yes, I think it is down to literal interpretation of language (Semantics and Pragmatics) and concrete thinking.

If I catch him saying something in the next couple of days i'll post it.

Homebase advert “Make your house a home”

He said “but we don't need to make our house a home, it is already a home”

We have a shop called Plumbase near us, and when we go past it DS says.............

'Plumbase - make your house a Plum' :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, I think it is down to literal interpretation of language (Semantics and Pragmatics) and concrete thinking.

Which is perfectly natural for a four year old :) the rudiments of humour, too... almost all young kid's jokes revolve around this kind of word play...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

My dog's got no nose...

Knock knock...

:D

Yes, it would be typical of a child aged 4.

My son is 8. We had a discussion at a restaurant recently. My son dropped his fork on the floor and said an expletive! Which I told him was a rude word and that he should not say it. So he informed me that he knew another rude word. So I asked him to tell me what is was. And it went like this:

"falling out of a tree and hitting a million branches on the way down."

I said that's not rude. He began to get upset and said 'it is'. So I took my usual tack of asking "where did you hear that". So he says:-

"I heard it on Basil Brush. On the programme, XXX came into the room and XXX said "You look like you've fallen out of a tree and hit a million branches on the way down. And XXX said that that was rude."

I didn't even know where to begin to explain that one!

He also tells me the punch line of jokes which he has heard on TV, but doesn't tell me the beginning of them!

cams favourite joke goes like this -

knock knock

whos there?

lemon

lemon who?

knock knock

whos there?

lemon

lemon who?

knock knock

whos there?

orange

at which point he falls about laughing :lol:

Which is perfectly natural for a four year old :) the rudiments of humour, too... almost all young kid's jokes revolve around this kind of word play...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

My dog's got no nose...

Knock knock...

A)he is 5 next month

B)he is my 3rd child-I KNOW he is Different from the others

C)he has other traits, obsessions, rotines and behaviours and social interaction, communication difficulties

D)he was being serious not joking

E)his answer to why did the chicken cross roads is chickens can't cross roads because they live in nests

F)I wasn't asking if anyone thought he was ASD just sharing a few things he said which I thought were funny

G)don't know why I bothered now :wallbash:

We have a shop called Plumbase near us, and when we go past it DS says.............

'Plumbase - make your house a Plum' :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:thumbs:

We walked down a street called "bright Street" today, he said "it's called bright street because it's always bright, is'int it".

cams favourite joke goes like this -

knock knock

whos there?

lemon

lemon who?

knock knock

whos there?

lemon

lemon who?

knock knock

whos there?

orange

at which point he falls about laughing :lol:

bless him!

Yes, it would be typical of a child aged 4.

My son is 8. We had a discussion at a restaurant recently. My son dropped his fork on the floor and said an expletive! Which I told him was a rude word and that he should not say it. So he informed me that he knew another rude word. So I asked him to tell me what is was. And it went like this:

"falling out of a tree and hitting a million branches on the way down."

I said that's not rude. He began to get upset and said 'it is'. So I took my usual tack of asking "where did you hear that". So he says:-

"I heard it on Basil Brush. On the programme, XXX came into the room and XXX said "You look like you've fallen out of a tree and hit a million branches on the way down. And XXX said that that was rude."

I didn't even know where to begin to explain that one!

He also tells me the punch line of jokes which he has heard on TV, but doesn't tell me the beginning of them!

My son also finds it hard to recognise where a word starts or finishes and can mix up sylabels.

So tonight for tea I asked him if he wanted pasta. He said no, what else is there. I said that mum and dad are going to have steak (its my birthday today). To which he replied, "I'll have pasta, I don't want any misteak." (as in mistake). I really wonder how his brain works sometimes!

G can go for hours with his joke (just the one for him :P )...

Why did the chicken cross the road?... Because he was a chicken!!! :lol::lol::lol:

When I do one of my (ridiculously hilarious, of course) jokes, like ... (drum roll)...

How can you tell if an elephant's been in your fridge?...Footprints in the butter!!!

He says 'but an elephant wouldn't fit in our fridge, mummy, it would be too big!' and 'But an elephant wouldn't be able to put a footprint in the butter, Mummy, he'd probably just squash it!'... er... :blink:

His latest game for car journeys is that everyone has to tell a joke in turn. It's getting V. tedious, so I'm collecting all your examples.. keep them coming!

Apparantly we are going to Eygpt tommorow! :thumbs:

Teacher comes out and talks to another parent, "I hear you are going to Eygpt on your hols"?

"Yes" say's Parent.

"N...has been telling us all about it"

So walkng out of school my son pipes up " We are all going to Eygpt tommorow, everyone in our familly. We are getting a helicopter to the airport, then going on a plane. I will have to tell Mum and Dad" :unsure:

Then in the car my son says, "I will have to pack a backpack for the plane in case I find somewhere to play with my toys".

Oh well I can dream! :whistle:

Apparently we are going to Egypt tomorrow! :thumbs:

Teacher comes out and talks to another parent, "I hear you are going to Eygpt on your hols"?

"Yes" Say's Parent.

"N...has been telling us all about it"

So walking out of school my son pipes up " We are all going to Egypt tomorrow, everyone in our family. We are getting a helicopter to the airport, then going on a plane. I will have to tell Mum and Dad" :unsure:

Then in the car my son says, "I will have to pack a backpack for the plane in case I find somewhere to play with my toys".

Oh well I can dream! :whistle:

Oh dear! We had a few tears and tantrums when he found out he was actually not going to Egypt but going to school instead, this morning!!

DD has one joke - "Why did the chicken go to the doctor? Because it wasn't feeling very well!" She then laughs hysterically!

DD just doesn't get jokes!

A)he is 5 next month

B)he is my 3rd child-I KNOW he is Different from the others

C)he has other traits, obsessions, rotines and behaviours and social interaction, communication difficulties

D)he was being serious not joking

E)his answer to why did the chicken cross roads is chickens can't cross roads because they live in nests

F)I wasn't asking if anyone thought he was ASD just sharing a few things he said which I thought were funny

G)don't know why I bothered now :wallbash:

Erm... sorry... this is the first time i've looked in this thread since my original post, and I really have been taken out of context. i was talking about four year olds and development milestones in response to sally 44's post... the 'rudiments of humour' comment was supposed to be a thumbs up that he was starting to understand the concept of 'wordplay'...

I'm not 'defending myself' but if you do a search of the forum you'll find i've contributed to many, many threads of this nature, and probably started some too.

L&P

BD :unsure:

Oh - and having just read the post about 'missteak'... my neice (now 24 - god forbid!) as a littlun used to have fish and chips every friday as a treat... on his way to the shop one night my bro asked her, 'what do you want cod and chips?' and she said 'no - I'm not hungry enough for chips - i just want codden' she also said 'scampion' for scampi. i wrote her a story about a trip to the seaside where she went for a ride on an inflatable scampion and met the largest codden in the world...

Edited by baddad

:thumbs: This post made me smile really big. I often thought I should write down some of the funny stuff that Lib says. Once walking to school I said "Come up here and walk with me, chicken" to which she replied "If you continue calling me chicken I might just have to start laying eggs!!!" :rolleyes: She was about 4 when she said this one.

Today we had to get her legs molded in plaster so they could make her splints to help correct problems in her tendons. The doctor or ortho guy said to her " I will have to send your legs off to Leeds", she sat there for ages and then when I said it was time to go she insisted that her legs were being sent to Leeds therefore she couldn't leave with us. :huh: