Sign in to follow this  
Lindyloo

Clothes

I noticed something when I took DS out clothes shopping on Saturday, and wondered if it is common with AS kids.

We went out for a couple of pairs of jogging bottoms, a smarter pair of trousers and a new hoodie.

I took DS in to Primark, and first went to the jogging bottoms, where he proceeded to choose exactly the same pair as he had grown out of. For the smarter trousers, again he went for the stone coloured Jeans - identical to the 2 pairs we have at home in 2 smaller sizes. With the hoodies I showed him a selection of plain and patterned. He chose the navy one. I asked if he would prefer black or grey, or something with a pattern on, and he said no he wanted the blue one. Guess what colour his old hoodie is? - yes - navy.

So we ended up coming home with an identical selection of clothes but in the next size up. He does not have an issue with wearing things that I have bought him that are different. He just seemed to be unable to choose anything different for himself. Is this some sort of comfort factor? Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Thanks,

Linda

Well I'm an adult so don't have the next sized up thing (unless I eat too much chocolate! :eat::lol:), but yes, I prefer to buy the same things and actually I rarely go clothes shopping unless my sister tells me I need new clothes and marches me to the shop (except I did manage to buy some new socks today!!). As I'm a student, I can get away with what I like to wear everyday - blue jeans, a (preferably blue or with a favourite character) shirt or t-shirt and a hoodie (college one). I really struggle if I have to dress up for something and when I was working a had very few outfits and often got comments about wearing the same things - what they didn't realise was that I wasn't being unhygienic and not changing my clothes but that I had several of the same items.

As to why - well because I'm not Clinically Well Dressed I haven't a clue what goes together so stick with what I know is OK, there is a comfort thing in that, particularly if I'm stressed, I like things to feel right/the same, it's who I am, and when I try anything else it just doesn't feel right. Also I have a big thing about this idea that you have to do something because everyone does and will rebel against it - and that includes fashion. I would never wear something that was uncomfortable either because it was what you should wear or what is supposedly fashionable.

Well, despite having a co-morbid of CWD, I have actually worn basically the same style of clothes since I was about 16! Jeans, boho tops, boots in the winter, sandals in the summer, sparklies!

I have to buy my jeans and summer linen trousers from the same shop.

I have never, ever had a 'fashionable' hair cut that you have to 'do' anything to, e.g. blow dry or straighten (although sometimes make DD#1 straighten it for going out). Do like my highlights though, and for many years in my 20s I had garjuss auberginey colour.

Bid :)

I wish I could get my 12 year old daughter remotely interested in even choosing clothes...but she's not. She cannot think of anything worse than traipsing round a clothes shop. And on the odd occasion that she has decided to choose something, she usually goes for the ugliest outfit in the shop that I would never buy in a million years as she simply does not have a clue what is cool and what is not (yeah, cool as in not warm!!!! she would say!). My poor mother was so excited when she was finally getting the grandaughter she always wanted to take out clothes shopping etc. Unfortunately it didnt turn out that way! We were in Next the other day and my mum picked up this gorgeous white linen trendy jumpsuit and at the till she said to my daughter 'I will buy it for you if you want'. My daughter politely replied (only because the shop assistant was right in front of them) 'No thank you Nanna'. the shop assistant said she couldnt believe her ears - she'd never heard a child turn down an offer to buy them something!! I used to get really fussy about what she wore before I knew about her ASD but now i just let her wear what she wants - I quite like her eccentricity - she oftens looks like one of those mismatched old grannies who have escaped from the care home!! (I can say that because my nan has Alzheimers!) Bless!!

(yeah, cool as in not warm!!!! she would say!)

:whistle: :whistle: I may have been guilty of saying similar on many occasions :lol: :lol:

We were in Next the other day

One thing that might be useful to bear in mind - I find the 'fashion' shops such as that mentioned (actually that's one of the better ones and I do get my jeans there - although at one of their small branches) can often be very bright, very noisy, very busy places with a huge focus on fashion and looking 'right' and well-dressed shop assistants and many customers (often teens/young adults) who can look at you like you don't belong if you're not trendily dressed :(. I have now found various more one-off stores that I quite enjoy - for instance there's a store in Covent Garden that does the most amazing hoodies and T-shirts - slightly off the wall but also fashionable because they're different. I've also found that the charity shops (some of them) where I live are very good - I live close to quite an upmarket area which is where the charity shop picks up its donations from and many of the items appear only to have been worn once if that - and they're from the shops like the one you mention but much cheaper, pre-softened, quiet shop and arranged by colour :D

I always tend to keep to the same style of clothes etc

and if I find something I like i will buy it in each colour its available in! lol

makes sense really, I like it, and its amazing for me to find something new I actually like, also I am not good at making decisions, e.g at the weekend i saw some cropped trousers for summer, looked ok, tried them on, felt ok so bought 3 pairs. diff colours.

My lad does it yeah...tomorrow is earth day at school n he has to wear green....ds dont 'do green lol...just black n dark blue so my god had fun trying to find clothes n yup exactly same as all the others just in green not black. :rolleyes:

My son would love to wear his uniform 365 days a year if I left him. He hates new shoes and he is now on the third same pair of school shoes size up each time. Don't mention mufti as he goes...in his school uniform!

To be fair, he also likes jeans and thinks he looks superb in a buttoned up shirt, bless him.

My son would love to wear his uniform 365 days a year if I left him. He hates new shoes and he is now on the third same pair of school shoes size up each time. Don't mention mufti as he goes...in his school uniform!

To be fair, he also likes jeans and thinks he looks superb in a buttoned up shirt, bless him.

Hi my 13yr old daughter still wears the same pyjamas 24/7 i have to pick them up off the floor and wash them then get them dry for her they are age 11-12 she has others but doesn't put them on, she also wears a ribbon in her hair to bed, she wears hoodies and similar tops all the time but yet can't stand what she calls chavs she won't walk anywhere near big groups she will walk a mile around them she is very artistic also will sit for hours and hours drawing she isn't diagnosed but i do suspect she may have aspergers oh yes forgot about the same socks and comfortable knickers and cutting the labels out of clothes and very fussy with food lived on fish fingers, sausages and chips for years wouldn't touch anything else sunday dinners no gravy all food had to have no sauce or wetness on it????? How can you have a sunday dinner without gravy???? As for shoes always goes for the same type as they are comfy. Sharon x

As for shoes always goes for the same type as they are comfy.

Oooh yes, the shoe thing for me too. I had holes in my favourite shoes so my sister insisted we were going shoe shopping, I was so delighted when I found the same pair but she wouldn't let me have them :tearful: - So I went back to the shop and got them the next day :thumbs: :thumbs: :lol: I have never ever understood why people (I think women in particular) squish their toes into shoes, teeter around on massive heels and cause damage and pain to their feet in the name of fashion. Surely anyone with an ounce of sense would see that this is just silly when there are perfectly good shoes available that are comfortable and don't cause such problems. I really don't understand (and I don't mean this as an insult to anyone) why people would actually cause themselves pain for the sake of acceptance :unsure:

Oooh yes, the shoe thing for me too. I had holes in my favourite shoes so my sister insisted we were going shoe shopping, I was so delighted when I found the same pair but she wouldn't let me have them :tearful: - So I went back to the shop and got them the next day :thumbs: :thumbs: :lol: I have never ever understood why people (I think women in particular) squish their toes into shoes, teeter around on massive heels and cause damage and pain to their feet in the name of fashion. Surely anyone with an ounce of sense would see that this is just silly when there are perfectly good shoes available that are comfortable and don't cause such problems. I really don't understand (and I don't mean this as an insult to anyone) why people would actually cause themselves pain for the sake of acceptance :unsure:

Aaahh, this is a tricky one!

I only wear shoes or sandals because I find shoes uncomfortable. But, I do love my heels! Not really high ones for everyday, just about inch and a half.

But for going out...well, I do like really high heels :wub::wub: This is a bit of a bu**ger though, as because I'm tall anyway I end up about 6ft! :lol: But I don't care, and since I only ever go out with work colleagues I'm OK because the Kazman and Boy Blunder are both 6ft 4 so I still look all wee and gurly!! :clap::lol:

I do have to admit though that I did pay for an evening's dancing in my garjuss Cat Deely silver sandals!! :crying:

For me there's the aesthetic thing about beautiful boots and sandals, too...I just love looking at them, and when I get a new pair I often have a little shrine with them on display for a few days!

Bid :D

G does this too! Non-uniform days are dreadful-he just can't understand why anyone would want to NOT wear the lovely uniform! He also refuses to wear new shoes unless I introduce them as something really special (Baseball boots were 'spaceman boots', he's had 'Pirate boots', 'Fungus The Bogey Man boots'...). Last year, he wore boots all summer because he refused point blank to wear any type of 'summery' shoe or sandal.

He spent almost the whole of his third year in wellies. Oh, and he won't wear short sleeves under a long sleeved jumper or coat...(unless it's his beloved 'nooniform', which is a polo shirt and jumper, but no problems)....the transition from jeans to shorts in summer is negotiated like a United Nations Peace Keeping Mission!...Wore a fleece all winter when he was 3, refused a coat, and when he grew out of the fleece, rejected every alternative I bought because they weren't the right combo of hood, fur, pocket, etc...I exhausted the supplies of every charity shop this side of the M62!!!

Luckily, I have 2 more to pass all his cast-offs down to, and I've learnt to not bother when he wears just a t-shirt in the snow! :whistle:

My 2 sons rarely want anything different. I've bought countless items of clothing (even 'very similar' to what they had), only to have to take them back. I don't bother unless they are with me now.

Mostly they each wear only one outfit all the time. I have to wash and dry them while they are in their pyjamas.

My eldest had about 6 pairs of the very same Clarks shoes, until they stopped doing that style :wallbash: . He has now, at 15-years-old asked to go and buy clothes for college, he said he will need 'lots' of clothes. Not quite sure how many that will mean, but it appears to be progress! With the last pair of trousers and shorts he bought, we got the size he needed and the next size up, so that should delay the stress for a while. BTW he expects me to 'mend' his trousers even when the fabric has all frayed away and if you bring the material together they end up a peculiar shape (and then he's not happy cos it's not smooth :angry: ). He grew out of his hoodie about 2 years ago but still wears it, but does want a new one for college.

Good luck is all I can say !! :lol: