Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Am I being fobbed off?

If you look up my other posts you will see we have no school and are going into the fourth month.. The LEA took it to panel to ask what to do and they said if we wrote/emailed them with the school we wanted they would do a proposed statement and approach the other borough as it isn't in Cardiff..

I've been onto this borough and they have said no spaces and Cardiff had money for provisions and they are looking after their own children, she wasn't nasty just honest..

How is this step with the LEA going to get us a school place? Is it just shutting us up for the time being and they will come back with nothing?

Edited by Cariad

If you look up my other posts you will see we have no school and are going into the fourth month.. The LEA took it to panel to ask what to do and they said if we wrote/emailed them with the school we wanted they would do a proposed statement and approach the other borough as it isn't in Cardiff..

I've been onto this borough and they have said no spaces and Cardiff had money for provisions and they are looking after their own children, she wasn't nasty just honest..

How is this step with the LEA going to get us a school place? Is it just shutting us up for the time being and they will come back with nothing?

From my experience, you need to keep contacting the LA every few days or so until they sort out the right provision. This is what I did when my DS was out of school for 6 months.

Good luck >:D<<'>

Bid :)

The LA need to contact this school - they may be able to do a deal with them, but you certainly won't be able to.

You can't tell what the LA are doing, as you don't know if they know that the school is full.

If it is another LA's school (and not an independent), your LA have little power to force it to take your child. Tribunal's do have that power (even if the school is technically full), but you need advice from IPSEA or similar on how you can get to go to Tribunal if the Statement is not completed.

Have you looked for other (independent) schools? - the LA can hardly argue against them if they cannot offer any alternatives.

I would start by telling the LA that the school is full, and asking what they suggest you should do as a next step.

The LA need to contact this school - they may be able to do a deal with them, but you certainly won't be able to.

You can't tell what the LA are doing, as you don't know if they know that the school is full.

If it is another LA's school (and not an independent), your LA have little power to force it to take your child. Tribunal's do have that power (even if the school is technically full), but you need advice from IPSEA or similar on how you can get to go to Tribunal if the Statement is not completed.

Have you looked for other (independent) schools? - the LA can hardly argue against them if they cannot offer any alternatives.

I would start by telling the LA that the school is full, and asking what they suggest you should do as a next step.

There are no other steps, they took it to their superiors and they just said they would do a proposed amended statement naming the "full" school school and approach them even thought they said every school in that borough was full. So now to wait until they say NO again and then appeal..6 months for appeal so he'll be out of school for 10 months.

What makes me SOOOOOOOOOOO angry is if a "normal" child had been abused for 2 years and then sexually abused in the school's care, THEN their parents took him out of school there would be outrage!!! So this happens to an Autistic child and they just don't matter.. no school for months and five hours a week in a community centre.

I've been to AM's MP's a Lord, councillors, Children's commissioner for Wales, IPSEA, SNAP, NAS.. everyone. There is no one who can help us!

I'm so fed atm :wallbash:

There are no other steps, they took it to their superiors and they just said they would do a proposed amended statement naming the "full" school school and approach them even thought they said every school in that borough was full. So now to wait until they say NO again and then appeal..6 months for appeal so he'll be out of school for 10 months.

What makes me SOOOOOOOOOOO angry is if a "normal" child had been abused for 2 years and then sexually abused in the school's care, THEN their parents took him out of school there would be outrage!!! So this happens to an Autistic child and they just don't matter.. no school for months and five hours a week in a community centre.

I've been to AM's MP's a Lord, councillors, Children's commissioner for Wales, IPSEA, SNAP, NAS.. everyone. There is no one who can help us!

I'm so fed atm :wallbash:

Can I just give you a virtual >:D<<'>

Have you asked for a solicitors advice? The words considering legal action may work?

As far as I understand it, a proposed Statement does not name a school. I guess the LA will send the proposed Statement to the school/other LA, saying "do you think you can meet this child's needs?". This is a bit stupid if they are full, but the LA probably just want it in writing that they are full. Ring this school (or that LA), explain your situation, and ask that they reply to the LA as soon as possible.

As far as I know, you cannot appeal a proposed Statement, and the LA cannot finalise it unless they have a school to name (check with IPSEA, but this is the situation I found myself in). I also had to wait for another LA to say officially that they were full, even though they knew months before that they would be, and yes, my guess is that they do it to delay the process.

Go and find another school (maybe independent) that does have a place and tell the LA that is the school you want.

Just a thought - but have you considered going to the press? Not just with the school issue, but with the abuse story as well?

I have done, T has to have a voice somewhere and this has to be uncovered..