Stella63

Socks!!!!!

Hi

Moving on from a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding the problems our AS kids have with socks, I said in that thread that OJ was fine with Next socks and I had just bought him some new ones with the days of the week on them. I knew, as soon as he saw them that i had made a huge mistake - he had to to wear the correct days socks on the correct day and I could already see the stress and anxiety at finding the right days socks. Well we had a few stressed moments where he couldn't find the right pair in his drawer but, you know, Mum to the rescue!!!

But, now the worst possible scenario has occurred!!!..... Yes, the sock monster has stolen one of Thursday's socks straight out of the washing machine and I cannot find it anywhere. And we are getting up really early to go to Belgium for the day on Thursday and I don't know what to do!!!

What a stupid thing I did buying those socks - please do not make the same mistake!!!!!!!! and any suggestions welcome!!!

Stella x

Assuming he doesn't know that the sock monster has been peckish :eat:, tell him that:

• The Belgians don't speak English and so would be confused/upset by words on socks they didn't understand and so he has to wear other socks
  • Part of Belgium custom is that all day visitors should wear the traditional costume of their ancestors - plain black socks
  • By going to Belgium, there is a time difference and this causes all sorts of anxieties to socks and can be problematic as one pair may have to be worn for extra hours: Belgium hours and English hours - and so would wear out quickly leaving him with no Thursday socks - so better to not wear them out of the country
  • You are going so early that it actually counts as Wednesday...
  • That security officials can get a bit stroppy about shoes and socks and the Belgium ones may think there is a secret terrorist message on his socks so he should wear plain/picture ones only
  • Day named socks come with a secret magnetic inside thingy that actually stops them from leaving the country they are intended to be worn in

If one of the above works, you're sorted, although you will have to go away every Thursday from now on. :oops:

Do they still sell the socks? If they do, get on the phone/web quick and order several more sets for next day delivery.

And in future use those sock keeper together thingies when washing the socks. :D

Or, alternatively, just turn back time and don't buy them in the first place... :whistle:

Hmmmm!! Mumble, where do I begin?

I can't thank you enough for all your extremely well thought out and valid arguments - all of which I adored >:D<<'> >:D<<'> especially the secret magnetic thingy!!!

Unfortunately, due to OJ's rather innate ability to know when he's being scammed, I am unable to put any into practice and am going with the rather sensible suggestion to turn back time and not buy them!!!!!?? :pray:

OK that didn't work. I'm off to the shops tomorrow to purchase an identical set and hope and pray that the sock monster doesn't have it in for just Thursdays socks!!! I'm sure there is some theory of things like lightening not striking in the same place twice!!??

Thanks Mumble - you're great!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Stella x

in the future you could use our 'delay' method of washing to get round the problem. when our fosterinos come home with some lovely outfits that we'd rather they didn't wear too often, but are very attached to we develop a major case of the 'its in the washing/ironing still's. it can take about 2 weeks for us to get round to finding a load of washing suitable for that lovely neon orange tracksuit they were given and the 5 year olds top with the catherine tate quote written on the front.

would he wear his other plain socks if there is no thursday socks at all? since they are 'neutral' they can be used any day, afterall. that way, while the monday socks can only be worn on monday, if they're not there other socks could substitute

Buy a load of plastic thingies to keep sox together, as per one of mumble's more sensible suggestions. :P They are great. I have about 60. I rarely lose a sock in the wash now. Pm me if you want details of where to get them. :)

K x

Well, NobbyNobbs, unfortunately, having bought the aforementioned day of the week socks, none of his previously worn socks are recognised by him and will NOT be used as a substitute (I was so stupid to buy these awful 'socks of the devil'!!!).

Kathryn, I may have to investigate this as an option but I just can't get past the problem of where these socks disappear to - it is not logical and I should be able to keep track of them - where do they go???? :ph34r:

Stella x

Some time ago I bought days of the week socks too for my ds. He lost one of Wednesday so we had to buy a whole complete set again and now we have spares.

I wonder if we should start a web site for swapping. Has anyone got a spare Wednesday for me and a spare Thursday for Stella? :rolleyes:

Well, all is ok in the 'Thursday' sock world!!

I took Mumbles advice and rushed out yesterday to buy a new set so everything was happy for our day in Belgium - apart from the fact that OJ couldn't get to sleep, a combination of his friend staying over, excitement about going to Belgium and too many tics as a result - so we both had no more than 4 hours sleep, not good for me but we coped and at least we didn't have the extra worry of no Thursday socks!!!!

we had a great day, bought lots of chocolate and tobacco (main reason for going - apologies to all the non smoking members!!) and I am absolutely knackered - going to bed soon!!!

Stella xx

What you need to do is buy a pack of mixed coloured socks and mix them up so every pair is two different colours socks. Present them to you child as being how they should be. Bingo, never have to match up socks again. Or only ever by black socks.

Oh No Chris that just would not work!!!! Or not with OJ anyway- different colours on different feet - no!!!. The all black socks would work but when you have three males in the household, two of whom are the same size and one the size below (which is really difficult to work out which size is which!) I devised this system of one person with stripy toes and heels and someone else with logos on the sides, but it all still gets very confusing!

It's so much easier for me, I can just have pink and purple socks and no one gets confused!!

Stella xx

Oh No Chris that just would not work!!!! Or not with OJ anyway- different colours on different feet - no!!!. The all black socks would work but when you have three males in the household, two of whom are the same size and one the size below (which is really difficult to work out which size is which!) I devised this system of one person with stripy toes and heels and someone else with logos on the sides, but it all still gets very confusing!

It's so much easier for me, I can just have pink and purple socks and no one gets confused!!

Stella xx

My husband has blue socks, eldest son has grey socks and youngest son has black socks! They have got some patterned socks but I hate when we're in a hurry to go out as we can never find 2 that match even though I always put a 'pair' in the drawer!!! :wallbash:

Oh Stella stella stella, hope you have learnt a valuable lesson from this :lol::lol: Hope you have a good time in begium, My DS has taken to wearing crocs, everywhere, but, NO SOCKS yey!!!!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

My husband has blue socks, eldest son has grey socks and youngest son has black socks! They have got some patterned socks but I hate when we're in a hurry to go out as we can never find 2 that match even though I always put a 'pair' in the drawer!!! :wallbash:

My mother use to stitch little colored dots on the socks to tell who,s was who's. My dads where the ones with no dots. So any new sock unmarked he ended up with.

Well, a relative calmness has been over us for a while (rushes off to touch some wood!!!). Having 2 sets of the days of the week (apart from Thursday obviously!) means that OJ can reasonably easily find the correct day!

Mind you, his dress sense leaves a lot to be desired - he is now wearing shorts and he pulls his socks up as far they will go and being quite stretchy they reach almost to his knees!!! I have tentatively suggested he should consider trainer socks but to no avail!!!

Stella xx