Teresa

Can't eat in the mornings

For as long as i can remember in the past 4 years T has not been able to eat in the mornings', she says

its' because she always feels sick on wakeing and doesn't feel like eating until after 12 oclock.

So my question is anybody else have this problem ?

Teresa

Does she eat normally? (I mean normal times of day/ other meals)

I am adult autistic and I have almost no interest in food, it is not that I actively seek not to eat but simply am not interested.

I eat only dinner usually, never in the morning. Ocasionally I will have a piece of toast during the day if I am really hungry. I eat porridge at night if I am still hungry.

If she must eat in the morning, start by giving her a half slice of toast. No asking you have to present the toast ,buttered and ready to eat, once she is dressed and washed of course! Not straight away either, you will have to let her wake up first.

After a while she will be used to eating the half slice of toast. Without asking ,after a week/ten days, give her a full slice. After another week she will be ready to eat every morning. If she doesn`t it every day, dont worry but keep presenting the half slice of toast, perhaps while you eat yours.

my eating patterns/habits attached to my MH state whether up or down and depends on amount of sleep i had like you said about your daughter! if depressed eat hardly anything during day breakfast then binge at night! if feels like havn't got energy from mood levels they drop don't feel like eating but then physical signs show like dizzness,sick etc as starts to take effect on my body! i think also because got low self-esteem/bosy image NAS are trying to work on this by nagging saying got to eat or be ill sometimes hard to actually do it though! it seems so much effort hard task when don't feel in mood! i sometimes eat toast,yoghurt or fruit

so know how she feels there!

is your daughter's attached to her moods/feelings on the morning and sleep patterns? when tired don't feel hungry as much!?

I can understand this , my son loves to eat a huge breakfast , but I on the other hand never eat before dinner I just feel very nauseous and not hungry at all .I usually have lots of cups of tea and eat a large dinner with lots of fruit etc.

I can never eat in the morning, never have, always starving by 11ish but usually in a place where I cant eat by then! so just manage on a cup of tea and biscuit till lunch time. Enid

I don't usually eat till about 12.30.

Thanks for all the replys, yes she eats normally through the day just in the mornings says she cant face it as she feels sick first thing, reason for asking, she has a dx of AS and ME and was wondering if it was down to one or the other or maybe both.

Teresa

The only thing my son will have is a sip of water and that is only sometimes.

my son never eats in the morning as he also feels sick. Some days he will go to school and not eat break or a snack at school and than will not go into lunch because of the sensory issues and comes home starving.

We have tried all sorts for breakfast such as choc covered cererals or Greggs cheese and ham pastry that he loves, he also likes sausages. Yet nothing is successful. We have even tried cereral bar and healthy crisps which he has in his bag but yet again we have given up.

We have put procedures into place to make sure he always has the opportunity to eat lunch but sometimes he will only eat an apple. As he is supervised during lunch break. He will always come home and eat a meal. Yet he is a child with weight on him but there is nothing you can take out of his diet as we eat very healthy.

His friend who is also ASD is underweight and under the dieticion yet he eats breakfast cereral bar on the way to school snack at school and a proper dinner for lunch. He also has fortisip. Than when he comes home he only eats a sandwich. I have said to his mother as long as he is eating than that is the weight he is meant to be.

Weight is a strange thing

I can't eat early in the morning either - never could. A real problem if I'm working and have to leave the house around 8 am. I rely on tea to fortify myself. I only feel properly hungry around 10.

K x

Hi my 15 yr old ASD son has bowel problems and always says he feels sick & has a stomach ache in the morning and I have also tried most things like Lynne. He is also under the dietian who is great and really supportive. Some days I struggle to get him to eat at all or even drink he just doesn't seem that interested in food, although he does have better days where he seems to be more hungary.

What Billyx suggested can work and I use it with my son. I often just have to cook or make food and give it to him to eat and sometimes he eats a little, a lot or none etc.

The problem I have (which Billyx may be able to help with) is because my son is 15 people think i'm pambering him but believe me I have tried not bringing him food and he didnt eat or drink for the whole day!!!! The dietian is always telling me not to worry what people think as he has ASD but what happens when he is older-I really worry. X :unsure:

I have AS and ME, but I don't have this problem. I have never heard of a connection, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I can't eat very first thing, but within half an hour of waking up I am very hungry and start to feel light-headed if I don't eat quickly. I always eat a substantial breakfast.

Very interesting reading your replys, have also thought that maybe T not being able to eat in the mornings maybe down to sleep disturbance or anxiety or both through the night, might be the cause.

Teresa

Hi Purplehaze

T has always been a fussy eater, would live on proscessed food all the time if i let her and eat the samething, it's taken a long time to get her to have different foods as she doesn't like how it feel's/ smells /tastes. She still won't drink a hot drink and won't touch fruit will only drink apple juice. But she's much better then when she was younger, i think your taste buds change as you get older and she's more willing to try new things.

Teresa

could mbe anxiety mixed with ASD sensory issues of taste,texture and smell of food! and change in routine of trying some different types of foods! i only used to like mcain microwave chips went off mcains chips and now eat all sorts don't bother me! so i think you right as tastes buds mature and so does her open mind to adventure outside normal foods other things will follow!

good luck

take care

XKX

Could you try something like a smoothie? That way you get some nutrition but it's not too heavy to actually eat. Or yoghurt and fruit?

My DD#12 often feels like this, but I try to tempt her to eat otherwise she feels unwell later on in the morning at school.

Bid :)

Edited by bid