janelizzie

I think that my partner probably has AS

hi thank you smiley, trekester, Jannih, for looking at this calmly and placed in perspective, rather than "how dare you disgrace ASD" type knee jerk reaction...though I appreciate people are entitled to opinions and to their own feelings.

yes smiley, looked into this in the past.

not that I'd like to make a public display of his personal life, if medics didn't think we have had signs of ASD or history of this or that etc etc, we wouldn't have been referred to get assessed. I probably prefer not to go into too much in details. only formal diagnosis will tell.

to be fair, I'm not sure if any of you have the right to put down those professionals. Tony atwood et al. respect doesn't cost any whilst you can present a constructive opinion of their work. They are a bit like celebrities as I know but I don't see why this thread can be descended into slinging mud at them. He does his work well and he had seen thousands of people in ASD.

everyone's ADS is different from your son or daughter or yourself but that doesn't mean any other people's problems don't exist. some people don't want to talk about it for reasons. this type of subject does take understanding & sensitivity and if people are more willing to just sit down and listen, more people will come forward when crisis hit home, in my opinion. perhaps I should have phrased my post more diplomatically but I was too upset to think about decorum back then.

xxx

Edited by flyingladybird

hi thank you smiley, trekester, Jannih, for looking at this calmly and placed in perspective, rather than "how dare you disgrace ASD" type knee jerk reaction...though I appreciate people are entitled to opinions and to their own feelings.

yes smiley, looked into this in the past.

not that I'd like to make a public display of his personal life, if medics didn't think we have had signs of ASD or history of this or that etc etc, we wouldn't have been referred to get assessed. I probably prefer not to go into too much in details. only formal diagnosis will tell.

to be fair, I'm not sure if any of you have the right to put down those professionals. Tony atwood et al. respect doesn't cost any whilst you can present a constructive opinion of their work. They are a bit like celebrities as I know but I don't see why this thread can be descended into slinging mud at them. He does his work well and he had seen thousands of people in ASD.

everyone's ADS is different from your son or daughter or yourself but that doesn't mean any other people's problems don't exist. some people don't want to talk about it for reasons. this type of subject does take understanding & sensitivity and if people are more willing to just sit down and listen, more people will come forward when crisis hit home, in my opinion. perhaps I should have phrased my post more diplomatically but I was too upset to think about decorum back then.

xxx

Hmm... so thats everyone that's replies sympathetically to your suggestion that ASD = violent/aggressive behaviour has 'calmly put this in perspective', while those who were shocked by such sweeping generalisations are offering 'knee jerk reactions'?' er... right... :whistle:

I don't think anyone's 'slung mud' at Tony Attwood or any other professional - just ackowledged that he/they are fallable.

Everyone's ASD is different. I totally agree. And so are individual responses to ASD and the psychological make-up that engenders those responses. It can be very reassuring to project blame for any problems someone might have in their life onto something external or over which they claim they have no control. Abusive people do that all the time - and so do their victims - but neither abuser nor victim are necessarilly 'right' to project/externalise blame or cause in that way. Whether the excuse is 'I come from a broken home' (very popular in the 70's), that hardy perrenial 'My Parent's/Husband/Wife doesn't understand me' or 'A big boy made me do it and then ran away' (very 'in' with the under 12's) there's a very high chance that there's a bit more going on than that... In fact, if it was that cut and dried then we would all be the same, wouldn't we?

Not a knee jerk reaction. A very considered one, in fact.

L&P

BD :D

I've just re-read this thread, and I have to say I think that's unfair.

Can I also clarify that I know certainly several of those posters who you feel made a 'knee-jerk reaction' (because they disagree with you?) are people who have lived with a formal diagnosis for their children/themselves and/or worked with people on the autistic spectrum for many years in some cases. Which is not to say that we know everything about ASD, but that we are likely to have valid opinions based on both personal and professional experience.

Bid :(

Edited by bid

well, I am nearly 50 years old. I did struggle throughout my life in a lot of levels and I'm getting one piece of puzzles as to why that was, by accessing a diagnostic test.

there are certain things in life, which may not make sense to you, perhaps now but it might later but then it might not.

I'm not saying I am right or wrong but sometimes I'd say, that's how life is sometimes and you might not like what is said.

sometimes some people accept it as it is and sometimes there are people who jump on what they felt to be "not right".

hey relax. we contribute stuff here not because of malice and actually I do admire Clinicians/authors who had tirelessly worked for ASD community worldwide. sometimes, it's a civil way to allow people express what they had felt without oppression and agree to disagree.

People with ASD or without ASD, we are all people, it comes with good and imperfections and that's how we are as human beings.

anyway, happy new year to you.

xxx