Sign in to follow this  
bluejean-genie

latest update.

Hi everyone,

As you know Nat has been out of school for a few months! We found out this week that he has been given a place at a school that is for 'school phobic' children.

I am told there will be six in his class and he will go for just one day a week to start off with. He will be taught in a small group or on a one to one basis.

He also now has a male counsellor who will be working with him. He says it will all be taken a Nat's pace there will be no forcing him into school it will be done as slowly as Nat needs.

We are going to visit the school next Tuesday afternoon. (CAHM's refer you to this school)

Nat says he is willing to go and have a look around, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed it goes okay.

Thank you to all the people who have given me support as at one bit I did get really down but now I am feeling much more optimistic.

BJG,

I hope this new placement is a positive move forward for Nat, my very best wishes to you both >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Helen xx

Edited by Helen

BJG

Our son had a CAMHS referall to what sounds like a similar unit.

He went for three mornings a week for a period of about 6-8 weeks. (It's not a permanent placement). During that time he was assessed by Clinical and Educational Psychologists and by a teacher with ecperience in the field. There were only 4 in a class and all work was 1:1.

The end product was a follow-up meeting and report which was instrumental in getting his assessment for a statement of SEN (we are awaiting the outcome). The report identified a number of areas of difficulty, nearly all of which his mainstream school had missed. He is currently out of school but we are optimistic that he will get a special school place for September.

Good luck with the placement!

Simon

BJG,

You and Nat have not had an easy time, I hope this proves to be a success.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Nellie xx

Hi BJG

I'm glad that things are starting to look a little more positive for you all. Hope that this proves to be the answer.

Hi and thank you all for replying.

Nat's counsellor says that this placement is not like school, all the pupils call the teachers by their first names (there are six teachers). They can get drinks when they want to. The pupils all work at their own level even though there are six pupils in the class there is no competition with each other, all the pupils in Nat's class will be year 8. (There is no PE or French: Nat VERY pleased about this)

Nat will go for a whole day to start off with but if he can only manage 30 mins to begin with then that's okay, they are going to take it as slowly as he needs. The counsellor has told us it could take 6-12 months to undo the trauma he has suffered and even then he might still be unable to go back into mainstream so they would then look at either day release to college or even staying there. It will all depend on how Nat feels and the views of the staff.

I did try to homeschool him but Nat didn't want me to, as I am his Mum not his teacher, so we have no option but to try this.

Edited by bluejean-genie

Hi everyone,

Nat went to see the new placement and he has agreed he will go there next week for a half hour. His counsellor says he doesn't want Nat to be rushed into there.

The Headmistress has said Nat will be able to stay there until he leaves school and they will only put him back into a mainstream school if he asks to go back in.

He is to be taught in a group of just 3 children (year7+8) he will be taught at his own pace and there will be no pressure put on him. It is only a small building with just 2 classrooms. They do all the main subjects and he will eventually go for two days a week. All the staff we met were very friendly B) He will still be able to do his Sats next year and they can take up to 6 GCSE's there as well.

I think this is probably the placement that Nat now needs. I realise though that at the end of the day it will be up to Nat and how he copes in this new environment.

I will give another update when he has settled in.

Hi Simon,

I hope everything goes well regarding the special school place in September.

My best wishes to everyone.