ScienceGeek

Student Loan mess!

Just offloading frustration here! I applied for my student loan for this year, about 6 months ago! It still hasn't been assessed, there was some mix up between the uni and the LEA. LEA claming they hadn't received paperwork from uni and uni saying they had already sent it. I can't even get a provisional sum because they need the confirmation that I've changed over to psychology. :wallbash: I'm supposed to start monday, was relying on that money coming through. So now have no money, no food and don't know when it will all be sorted :crying: I had my first head banging full on meltdown in ages because of this, and boy my head hurts an hour after that fact. Anyone else in student loan misery? :tearful:

Edit: Just rang them up and apparently it's going to take them a week to process it, then student finance will send me out a declaration form then I have to send that back. In total that should take 2 weeks meaning I have no money, no food and Em has no fuel to get to work for 2 weeks! :tearful: I have no idea what I'm going to do :crying:

Edited by ScienceGeek

hi science geek

I heard about this on the news this morning you are certainly not alone lots of students have not received their loans I am worried

oops my son hit the keyboard I was saying I hope it gets sorted quickly I hope to start next sept (will know in may) and as I have four kids I cant survive without the loan so hope not to have this problem.hope all goes well and enjoy your Uni experience.

I may be wrong here but I am sure that when my sister was at uni as a single parent she was able to go to the uni's welfare (I think that is what it was) and they gave her an emergency loan, just a thought for you to maybe look into...

I may be wrong here but I am sure that when my sister was at uni as a single parent she was able to go to the uni's welfare (I think that is what it was) and they gave her an emergency loan, just a thought for you to maybe look into...

Yeah I'm going to pop into the advice and welfare service place on campus tomorrow. I saw online that there is a short term emergency loan that I can apply for which is up to £300 so am going to apply to that. Plus I'm taking part in a study which will get me another £40 :lol:

Ok it's still a mess. Got declaration form this morning and the notification is completely wrong. It says I didn't apply for fee loan even though I did (I checked my online application), also it has nothing about my maintenance grant and worked out that with their figures I'm 1k down this year on last years funding :angry: I wish these people would get their act together already. :ph34r:

I've had similar experiences to you. I applied back in March, my declaration letter only arrived yesterday. And even this doesn't include the means-tested grants I applied for; they are just doing the loans for now. It's absolutely ridiculous. The new system really doesn't work!

from what i understand the student loans people have such a backlog that they are only doing an initial assessment for basic student finance so it doesnt surprise me they didnt do the grant.

Yup. I know all their supposed reasoning behind it, but for a system that was supposed to be more efficient they've really screwed it up :)

Mate i hope this is sorted now and you are settled into your new university year.

My university, keen to ensure equality and diversity and that I didn't feel I was missing out have internally managed to screw up the payment of my grant so I don't know what's happening in much the same way students with Government loans don't. :angry: They have the money from the funding body (and are getting interest on it :angry:), they're just unable to press the right buttons on their computers to transfer the right amount to my bank account. It's so nice of my university to make me feel included in this way. :wallbash:

Nope still not sorted. Got the student loan part but not the maintenance grant or fee loan yet, hoping it will be sorted soon though :pray:

Hope the student loan part will be enough to keep you going until the other bits come through. Pleased to see you back online mate :thumbs:

Alexis

My university, keen to ensure equality and diversity and that I didn't feel I was missing out have internally managed to screw up the payment of my grant so I don't know what's happening in much the same way students with Government loans don't. :angry: They have the money from the funding body (and are getting interest on it :angry:), they're just unable to press the right buttons on their computers to transfer the right amount to my bank account. It's so nice of my university to make me feel included in this way. :wallbash:

i would complain either to the welfare officer, disability officer or someone high up. Make sure you get the interest from the grant when it arrives.