asnewb

Famous people with ASD

I am feeling gutted that I might have ASD, it means I will not accomplish and feeling rather down and dump right now. So please give me a hope by listing famous people who achieved greater things even with ASD.

Do you think Einstein had it?

I am feeling gutted that I might have ASD, it means I will not accomplish and feeling rather down and dump right now. So please give me a hope by listing famous people who achieved greater things even with ASD.

Hi Asnewb,

It is best to view yourself as being different, rather than disabled. Like most people you need to work hard and major on those things that you excel in and enjoy.

Now you have a diagnosis, make sure you avail yourself of all the help that is out there.

There are several people in history, who displayed autistic traits. We will obviously never know whether they would have found themselves on the autistic spectrum, if they had lived today.

There is a link which lists famous contemporary and historical characters. http://www.geocities.com/richardg_uk/famousac.html

All the best !

Most people do not achieve the kind of "great" things that get you famous anyway. The everyday things can make you a success.

Gary Numan has Asperger's.

Pip Brown (better known as the singer Ladyhawke) has Asperger's.

There are a lot of other famous and successful people who may have Asperger's, including Bill Gates, Stephen Spielberg, Andy Warhol, Edison, and yes, Einstein. Some people even think that Hans Asperger had Asperger's.

Thank you for the link Jannih and everyone for your reply.

I have yet to be diagnosed. I've got an appointment with my GP in mid November.

From what I read, school children aren't getting much help, being a high functioning adult, doubt I'd get any help at all though.

Im not exactly famous but myself and Gran have written a book about Aspergers that has broken into India and USA.

It took me 7 years to pass my A Levels and i had a breakdown in between, its likely to take another 7 to get up to BSc

standard and i had another breakdown in 2005.

Use this forum to help you accomplish things, for me getting a shower, remembering to eat or use the bathroom

are accomplishments. Aspergers doesnt stop me getting where i want to go and it doesn't have to stop anyone else.

Alexis

i just emailed him as one of my fav people in history "Sir Winston Churchill" had asperger syndrome according to his "in the footsteps of churchill".

His speech "we will never give up, never surrender" rings in my head.

Alexis

Thank you for the link Jannih and everyone for your reply.

I have yet to be diagnosed. I've got an appointment with my GP in mid November.

From what I read, school children aren't getting much help, being a high functioning adult, doubt I'd get any help at all though.

Autism Act 2009 has come out. Also the NAS "dont write me off campaign" is trying to explain needs of autistic adults.

trekster,

Thanks for your posts and it's fantastic that you've got your own book and A-level to show off.

Do you know about www.lulu.com and lightening source? You can print as little as one to sell on the internet. I get old out of print books printed brand new.

asnewb

Autism Act 2009 has come out. Also the NAS "dont write me off campaign" is trying to explain needs of autistic adults.

I was about to say the same thing myself, but you beat me to it.

I daresay, it won't be long before GPs are given financial incentives to refer adults for diagnosis.

thanks asnweb i wasnt aware of that site and im going to look on it right now! :thumbs:

Alexis

Sorry , I mean nothing personal but this sort of thread really winds me up!

Yes, Gary Numan and Pip Brown have diagnoses as have Dan Ayckroyd and Sebastien Vettel. From a million miles away we could also argue that many other people, ordinary or great (by public perception), might have Aspergers or portray autistic traits. None of that can change who we actually are. The fact that one of the most promising drivers in the current cohort of Formula One employees has a diagnosis that matches my own does not mean that I might aspire to the same dizzy heights (much as I might wish to!)... nor will my comedic acting abilities suddenly improve, nor my ability to create and perform popular music. I'm certainly never likely to develop a product and company the size of Microsoft, just because somebody else on the opposite side of the western hemisphere is considered by some to portray some elements of an ASD! Let's get real.

Everybody, no matter whether they have a diagnosis of AS or not, has their own strengths and weaknesses. Our aim in life must surely be to discover exactly what they are in each of us and to make best use of the positives and minimise the damage caused by the negatives. An example: trekster above comments on the great difficulties she faces in attaining academic recognition, yet I personally know more than one Aspie who has gained PhD status with relative ease... but faces enormous (if not insurmountable) difficulties in entering and/or maintaining a place in the world of work. Same diagnosis, different challenges.

Please do not let us fall into the trap of using famous others as false indicators of who we might become nor, worse, as excuses for our failings. Surely we have a responsibility to ourselves and those close to us to make the best of the cards we are given? What is the value in claiming Gary Numan or Pip Brown or Dan Ayckroyd or Sebastien Vettel or Bill Gates or Albert Einstein or Uncle Tom Cobbley and all as one of our own? We are not them and are no more likely to attain their distinctions in life than are my NeuroTypical brother or sister.

I repeat, I mean no assault on anybody or on their views - I simply cannot see that this type of discussion is helpful to any of us who are struggling simply to negotiate normal everyday life (unless a sense of reality is not considered relevant).

Sorry , I mean nothing personal but this sort of thread really winds me up!

Yes, Gary Numan and Pip Brown have diagnoses as have Dan Ayckroyd and Sebastien Vettel. From a million miles away we could also argue that many other people, ordinary or great (by public perception), might have Aspergers or portray autistic traits. None of that can change who we actually are. The fact that one of the most promising drivers in the current cohort of Formula One employees has a diagnosis that matches my own does not mean that I might aspire to the same dizzy heights (much as I might wish to!)... nor will my comedic acting abilities suddenly improve, nor my ability to create and perform popular music. I'm certainly never likely to develop a product and company the size of Microsoft, just because somebody else on the opposite side of the western hemisphere is considered by some to portray some elements of an ASD! Let's get real.

Strange how you mention this thread winds you up but quote Winston Churchill in your signature line at the same time? His poignant line of "we will never give up, never surrender" is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going.

Some might say im famous in the autistic community and i happy to leave it at that. Seeing others cope with their autism gives me and many others hope that we can cope and be autistic at the same time. i dont understand the negativity surrounding having a disability. By coincidence i happen to be affected by autism like everyone else here.

Everybody, no matter whether they have a diagnosis of AS or not, has their own strengths and weaknesses.

i didnt see anyone state or imply any different.

Our aim in life must surely be to discover exactly what they are in each of us and to make best use of the positives and minimise the damage caused by the negatives.

That was the point of this thread. The original posted wanted to see that there are people out there who can live with their autism.

An example: trekster above comments on the great difficulties she faces in attaining academic recognition, yet I personally know more than one Aspie who has gained PhD status with relative ease... but faces enormous (if not insurmountable) difficulties in entering and/or maintaining a place in the world of work. Same diagnosis, different challenges.

i happen to be one of those autistics where some traditional methods of helping my autism impede on my other disabilities. Written information for example has to be ideally in size 18 text on sky blue paper. Also the information on the autism alert card mentions "avoid sarcasm, irony or metaphors" i prefer people to "use those ways in language if they can explain them to me in literal english. i want to learn all the sayings in the book. Also i would like to be able to discuss topics at great length. It causes problems on many lists im a member of, but due to my dyslexia and cognitive understanding is a disability necessity.

Please do not let us fall into the trap of using famous others as false indicators of who we might become nor, worse, as excuses for our failings.

i certainly am not under any false impressions of my aspergers. i have come through that stage 14 years later and i know my limits. That website includes links to autistic authors.

Surely we have a responsibility to ourselves and those close to us to make the best of the cards we are given?

i do that as well and im determined in part due to peoples actions like Churchill, this autistic has answered 8 of the £1 million questions correctly on "who wants to be a millionaire" (WWTBM) WITHOUT being able to read them! You could say i watch "WWTBM with my ears due to my dyslexia". i use a combination of being inspired by famous autistics which give me the drive to keep going.

What is the value in claiming Gary Numan or Pip Brown or Dan Ayckroyd or Sebastien Vettel or Bill Gates or Albert Einstein or Uncle Tom Cobbley and all as one of our own? We are not them and are no more likely to attain their distinctions in life than are my NeuroTypical brother or sister.

Depends what you do with the cards you have been dealt. i rarely see a famous autistic declaring that they are "autistic and proud" or something similar. In fact i think its the media and many other folk that arent related to them that mention their autism.

I repeat, I mean no assault on anybody or on their views - I simply cannot see that this type of discussion is helpful to any of us who are struggling simply to negotiate normal everyday life (unless a sense of reality is not considered relevant).

No such thing as "normal". Before anyone asks i am struggling to negotiate daily life including a pain level of 8/10 24/7. In the past year ive had a grand total of 10 hours pain free. im used to it as a part of my fibromyalgia and im going to do something about it (ie going back to pain clinic and pushing for LDN treatment or something similar) asap. i decided what i wanted to do in life and went for it. Also i looked carefully at the obstacles in my way (eliminating my food addictions and adding in supplements for example helped).

Without my experiences of university i would still be living with my gran, if i hadn't of given up my meds AMA i would have literally been sections in March 2005. They were turning my psychotic. i spend a large amount of my very limited income on my supplements. i am going through severe depression and insomnia at the moment but i know im going to beat it as the PTSD book says "PTSD sufferers are brave and can deal with many battles".

My family was torn apart by my fathers nasty asperger attitudes. My mother is still being brainwashed by his deceit and lies 10 years after his death. Even i have problems working out what was true in what he said and what was bullying tactics. My gran and my brother have been my rocks through this. im the eldest of 3 kids in my family. My sister lives with her fella and a baby in a nearby town (shes had MH and OCD). My brother has just turned 20 and is trying to pass accountancy qualification. He doesn't approach people easily and i think hes ADD. Gran has failing physical health as does her sister (which i clash with severely due to her MSC and SID). My brother feels like a handyman as hes the only adult male in our family. All our family have had severe mental health problems (apart from the nephew) connected with mine, mums and dads (bullying in his case) autism. Domestic violence has occurred in 3 branches of our family.

i dont wish to offend anyone else by these comments either. i hope we can help each other licklepaulie to deal with our autism the best we can. As Churchill would say "we will never give up, never surrender".

Alexis

Please do not let us fall into the trap of using famous others as false indicators of who we might become nor, worse, as excuses for our failings. Surely we have a responsibility to ourselves and those close to us to make the best of the cards we are given? What is the value in claiming Gary Numan or Pip Brown or Dan Ayckroyd or Sebastien Vettel or Bill Gates or Albert Einstein or Uncle Tom Cobbley and all as one of our own? We are not them and are no more likely to attain their distinctions in life than are my NeuroTypical brother or sister.

We all need good role models. OK we can't all be famous but we can all make a worthwhile contribution to society ,whether it be in a big or small way.

Sorry if I offended you LicklePaulie.

I'm very new since discovering about ASD and as I wrote at the beginning I'm feely very down to the point I feel like there is no pointing in doing anything, living etc. So I just wanted to give myself a little hope, that's all. I'm not even thinking about becoming famous and I don't think I would like the spotlight.

It's nothing unusual I seem to offend people whatever I do even when I have good intention. It has come to the point that people dislike me instantly by first sight before even I speak. So I don't go out anymore.

hi asnewb

welcome to the forum and please dont be sorry about your post, this is what this sight is about you can come on here and ask questions and start discussions. people do not have to join in if they dont want to, they can skip this post, it is called choice, please dont feel down have alook around the forum i think you will find it realy helpful, my son is 7 and has a dx of asd and i hope he finds someone to look up to as a good role model hopefully me haha at the moment it is anybody in the wwe lol, i hope you are getting support from somebody at the moment because you do sound a bit down in the dumps, hope you feel a bit better in yourself soon and take care

theresa x

don't be so negative about yourself,you are who you are and whatever you have achieved at this point says you are sucessful. What are your interests and what do you like/can to do?

asnewb - Please don't fret, I am not offended by your question. I simply get frustrated by some in the AS community who try to claim famous others, many of whom would never attain a positive diagnosis because their "autistic traits" do not (or, more commonly, did not) impinge upon their ability to lead a successful life, as one of their/our own. There are more positive ways to move forward.

trekster - I do not understand your confusion. I have deliberately "stolen" Churchill's aside about the relationship between the US and UK and placed it into the different context of the relationship between AS and NTs. I studied some politics at university and admire much of Churchill's achievements (and particularly his oratory skills) but would never select him as a champion of Asperger Rights...

Jannih - Whilst I understand your point, I see no more relevance in selecting somebody with Aspergers as a role model than somebody of the same gender, or ethnicity, or nationality, etc. etc.

sesley's opening statement actually puts my central point very succinctly - concentrate on who you are and can be rather than what some anonymous (how much do we actually know of any of these celebrities?) others appear to be.

Finally, I repeat I mean NO OFFENCE to any individual on this forum. I am simply exercising my right to express my views on the matter, which may or may not concur with the views of others.

Jannih - Whilst I understand your point, I see no more relevance in selecting somebody with Aspergers as a role model than somebody of the same gender, or ethnicity, or nationality, etc. etc.

I quite agree. Any disadvantaged group benefits from having good role models. Black people need good role models. A Jamaican friend who is a nurse was greatly inspired by the work of Mary Seacole - a black "Florence Nightingale". I, as a woman need good female role models i.e those that break into male dominated industry, politics etc etc.

Asnewb has just been diagnosed as having an ASD and he is looking for good role models in the autistic community. What is wrong with that ?

Hi Lickle Paulie/all -

Not sure if this has already been covered, but looking at the last few posts I think maybe it's not so much a case of 'appropriate role models' but reassurance and 'balance'.

The thing is, that like it or not the negatives of autism (real and projected) are all to often prioritised - even by professionals and on forums like this one...

There are organisations like DAN, or Autism Speaks etc who are only too happy to emphasise and capitalise on those preconceptions - and given that these organisations are mostly made up of autistic parents it really does show the 'power' of such propaganda. I don't think it can ever hurt or be damaging for autistic people to take pride in the achievements of other autistic people, or to find their achievements inspiring. I'd apply that same reasoning to any marginalised/disenfranchised minority group, whatever the reasons for that marginalisation/disenfranchisement (race/sex/sexual orientation/disability/colour...).

I don't talk to my son about (i.e.) Gary Numan or David Byrne or Dan Ackroyd or any other autistic/possibly autistic celebrity to force comparisons or expectations on him, but I do want him to know that autistic people can and do achieve things, regardless of what all the nay-sayers would have him believe. There are many, many organisations and individuals ready and often seemingly determined to tell autistic people how little little they are likely to achieve. While it can get quite tedious (I do agree with you on that much, Paulie) when people 'project' autism onto celebrities etc on the basis of one or two character/personality traits (and I find it equally objectionable, BTW when that's done toward partners or ex-partners or other family members/friends/work colleagues etc) I think ignoring the 'success stories' on the basis that they might - if overemphasised - engender unrealistic expectations can only be a case of two wrongs - and we all know what that doesn't make, even if we're not sure about what it does!

L&P

BD :D

Sorry if I offended you LicklePaulie.

I'm very new since discovering about ASD and as I wrote at the beginning I'm feely very down to the point I feel like there is no pointing in doing anything, living etc. So I just wanted to give myself a little hope, that's all. I'm not even thinking about becoming famous and I don't think I would like the spotlight.

It's nothing unusual I seem to offend people whatever I do even when I have good intention. It has come to the point that people dislike me instantly by first sight before even I speak. So I don't go out anymore.

ive been there before as well. i can totally understand the reactive depression reaction to being told you are autistic. "how to be yourself in a world thats different" or trying to access your local NAS adult social group might help. even e-befreinding.

Alexis

Well, I'm not famous, but I have a dx of AS and I have a higher degree, am married with 4 children (one with AS), and I work full-time in a career I love :)

So it's not all doom and gloom!

Bid :)

Edited by bid

hello lickiepaulie

you said;

trekster - I do not understand your confusion. I have deliberately "stolen" Churchill's aside about the relationship between the US and UK and placed it into the different context of the relationship between AS and NTs. I studied some politics at university and admire much of Churchill's achievements (and particularly his oratory skills) but would never select him as a champion of Asperger Rights...

trekster reply

My confusion as that in one breath you mentioned it was a bad idea to mention autistic role models. But in another you are quoting what churchill an asperger had said. i didnt state nor imply churchill was a champion of asperger rights.

People of many disabilities look at famous people with the same diagnosis or possible traits. I think it offers hope to people and shows them that their disability needn't stand in the way of achieving. It seems to be helpful to some, and that's no bad thing.

But in another you are quoting what churchill an asperger had said.

At the risk of being monotonous (surely not, an Aspie who won't let it lie?), here we go again. I find it highly unlikely that Winston Spencer Churchill (I assume we're talking of the same person?) was ever diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome - He died in 1965 and the condition was not identified in the English-speaking world until Lorna Wing and Judith Gould coined the term in around 1980...

There is a link which lists famous contemporary and historical characters. http://www.geocities.com/richardg_uk/famousac.html

Now that GeoCities has closed, you'll need to visit http://web.archive.org/web/20071022160029/...k/famousac.html to access that page now. :)

James

At the risk of being monotonous (surely not, an Aspie who won't let it lie?), here we go again. I find it highly unlikely that Winston Spencer Churchill (I assume we're talking of the same person?) was ever diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome - He died in 1965 and the condition was not identified in the English-speaking world until Lorna Wing and Judith Gould coined the term in around 1980...

You didn't say before that he wasnt an Asperger therefore were not being monotonous. i tend to debate stuff until it is resolved.

Read "in the footsteps of Churchill" it mentions he "had some of the characteristics of what we now know as asperger syndrome". i didn't say anything about him being diagnosed with aspergers. Just because he wasn't diagnosed doesn't mean he had it, (doesn't mean he didn't have it either). i take it you haven't read "high achievement and asperger syndrome" either.

Alexis

You didn't say before that he wasnt an Asperger therefore were not being monotonous. i tend to debate stuff until it is resolved.

Ok then.

i) The monotony to which I referred was of my original issue (the projection of autism onto famous figures, usually long-dead and without the means to fully test the premise) rather than the particular comments about Churchill.

ii) You did not mention Winston being diagnosed with any ASD but you did describe him as "churchill an asperger". I think even the most literal of us might find that a difficult distinction to make.

To my mind, many people past and present may appear to portray some of the traits associated with the condition but, given that it takes a fully-trained professional a full half-day of intensive testing to attain a diagnosis, I find it very difficult to accept that label in anybody who has not been comprehensively assessed. Some author, writing a biography forty years posthumous to the subject and with who-knows-what degree of knowledge of ASDs has made a single comment and you have taken it as valid (which is your right) - I however would require far more evidence to do the same (which is my right).

That said, I shall refrain from carrying on this debate any further here because I am very aware that asnewb's thread has been somewhat hijacked, for which I offer my abject apologies. Of course, if a thread were started on the subject I would be happy to contribute...

Churchill did suffer from bipolar disorder (or manic depression), which is quite well documented and something he discussed himself while living (his term for depression 'the black dog' has been picked up/reused many times). The 'up' phase of this has been highlighted by many to explain much of his behaviour in the field (his hot-headedness, strength of conviction, fearlessness etc) and some of his less favourable traits have been attributed to the 'down' phase.

I think some traits of Bipolar disorder would/could be described as 'characteristics of Asperger's' too...

I think you could look at almost any historical figure retrospectively and find 'traits' in the same way that you could look at almost anyone living in your street and find 'traits' - It just depends on how hard you look and how selectively :)

That said, there are, undoubtedly, many many historical figures who have demonstrated a whole range of traits, and often it is the 'traits' (coupled with their area of expertise) that have made them fascinating while others with similar expertise (but no 'traits') have been overlooked/forgotten... Without a time machine it is, of course, impossible to 'know', but I don't think that's necessarily a case for refusing to even speculate or consider the possibilities.

God is definitely an aspie :o - he moves in a mysterious way (Active but odd AND Dyspraxia!), and is most certainly aloof/disinterested... but when you look at the amount of detail in something like a spider's web there's definitely a degree of intense focus/OCD about it all. And according to the reports he's capable of some right old meltdowns when things don't go his own way ;):whistle:

L&P

BD :D