Sign in to follow this  
mumble_rocks

Open University

Hi All,

Has anyone done an OU course? I am interested to doing one in working with yp with SN, as I am currently working in an outdoor centre as an intructor but have no qualification of working with yp with SN. I have found:- http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/e243.htm which is an undergraduate course. But really have no idea of OU at all does anyone understand whether I can do this with no related qualifactions? Do I need to be working with yp with SN to complete the course?

And what kind of support is there for adult with AS and dyslexia?

Thanks

I've done an OU course and know quite a few others that have too. I personally didn't get any help because I didn't know that I needed it at the time. A friend of mine however got quite a lot of help, had a needs assessment done for DSA done. I personally need the structure of a traditional university, but my friend did rather well with OU.

Hello

im doing distance education but not with the OU. Im at the University of Birmingham (admin is terrible), i get sent the work, i complete it in my own time then send it back a week before the deadline. i do my coursework when i have spurts of energy which normally occur at night time. i cannot manage the reading so i start my coursework early and look up for the information i need.

My mentor has been essential to my success.

Alexis

The Open University are generally very good at giving you all the information you need. You really need to contact them with your questions.

You need to know how long the course lasts and how much study will be expected of you - they will normally break it down into hours per week. Then you need to look at whether you really have that much free time per week and whether you can discipline yourself to actually do it.

They may be able to provide you with some kind of assistance with the course. Again, this is something you really need to ask them about, since what they can offer will be specific to your situation. Think about what kind of help you might need and see whether they can provide this.

The course you are looking at is a level 2 course, which means it is at 2nd year degree level. Although you don't need any qualifications to study with the OU, you will really struggle unless you have already studied this subject at 1st year degree level.

Hi I just completed level one and doing three more courses(two at level 2) at OU.It is hard because I am a single mum of four kids two under 9 and two under three.I do agree with Tally level two is really hard,I did six AS level's and as I mentioned just finished level one but still struggle a bit with level 2 so it is better to start at the beginning.They have loads of support if you need it and advice center is friendly.I know with some courses you have to be working to get sponsored by your employer but most are open to everyone,there is financial help available as well,either your course will be paid for or you can pay by instalments.