Sign in to follow this  
sesley

staying for in school for lunch on Fridays

now P uses school toilets,he can stay in school for lunch, every second week they have chips,which he will eat and nothing else.every other week he takes a pack lunch of things he will eat,hula hoops,yogut,a chocolate biscuit and a juice. on the outside he appears to be coping,but on the inside he is vey anxious,the other days he comes home for lunch,this friday exercise is to assimulate him more into the social side of school. today he says i don't want to go to school, i ask your staying for chips you will enjoy that,but the look on his face was one of anxiety,so i feel anxious for him and wish to be a fly on the wall to see how he is doing,i so wish i could be with him to reassure him.i am glad the food police haven't got to him,his diet is rubbish and eats the most unpc food going. :whistle:

now P uses school toilets,he can stay in school for lunch, every second week they have chips,which he will eat and nothing else.every other week he takes a pack lunch of things he will eat,hula hoops,yogut,a chocolate biscuit and a juice. on the outside he appears to be coping,but on the inside he is vey anxious,the other days he comes home for lunch,this friday exercise is to assimulate him more into the social side of school. today he says i don't want to go to school, i ask your staying for chips you will enjoy that,but the look on his face was one of anxiety,so i feel anxious for him and wish to be a fly on the wall to see how he is doing,i so wish i could be with him to reassure him.i am glad the food police haven't got to him,his diet is rubbish and eats the most unpc food going. :whistle:

hi I have the same problem with SAM the thing is he says he eats but its usually just a small amount of food.he isalways starving when he gets home.I had to sign up for school diners because with two at school it is expensive to do packed luch and both of them never ate much packed luch.The other problem is Sam loves peanut butter sanwiches he eats them sometimes three times a day,but because of other kids nut allergies he could nott have these.Both my boys say the meals are disguisting and they only have raost dinner once a week and chips once a week so thats when they will eat.It is bad that they are not eating all day and both my boys suffer headaches as a result of this.When I mentioned this to the headteacher she said "oh he loves roast dinner" but like I said thats once a week :wacko: I love it when they at home because I am happy to make three different meals for my kids and make sure they eat well.

Hi sesley

My DS has problems at lunchtime, too. It's not the food, as he has exactly the same packed lunch every day. With him, it's the noise and sheer number of children in the dinner hall. I am very lucky as I work in the school kitchen, so I can keep an eye on him. The SENCO suggested that he have his own little table by the door, so that he doesn't have to sit amongst all the noise (and it does get very loud!!). He is happy with this as he is next to the door, which he finds reassuring.

Also, I know that our school is always happy for parents to come in at lunchtime and see how their kids are doing - it might be worth asking?

I hope some of that helps, and hopefully the school will work with you to reduce his anxiety.

We had loads of problems at dinner time when Dd3 started school. She actually vomitted a number of times before we got to the bottom of what was upsetting her. We are very lucky to have a great Headteacher who is really interested in asd's and doesn't do vomit and she let Dd3 eat her packed lunch in the classroom for a couple of weeks and then gave her a table just outside the hall with a couple of other children. Dd3 eventually asked to go in the hall and has been in there ever since.

She still hates it sometimes and has to put her fingers in her ears, which can get a bit messy.

Hope you manage to settle your son, although to be honest I think Dd3 would rather come home for lunch as she finds the outside bit tough too and is having trouble finding children to play the same game every day. B)

it is expensive to do packed lunch

My boy has a packed lunch because he doesn't get on with school diners, part of the problem is the size of the meals, there to big,(He only eats a small amount at the best of times) all that food on the plate puts him off even before he starts to consider whether he would like it or not. He also has a limited rang of foods that he will eat. On the odd occasion when he has had a school dinner most of it just goes in the bin, and at £2.20 a time, that's a lot of money in the bin.

Now when he went away on the school residential trip earlier this year, he, (and we), were a bit concerned about meals. I had a word with his teacher who said he would keep an eye on things. As it happened he ate everything put in front of him, just to prove me wrong.

I cannot agree that packet lunches are to expensive, I can do a packet lunch for a lot less than school dinners cost.

Just to be different our school now does packed lunches for children who don't want cooked dinners, same cost £2.20.

Its not actually the school as in my area the council did away with school dinners some time ago but some school now use a company who provide school dinners.

When I was a child we always went home for dinner due to cost. 2/6 a week in them days, that's 12 1/2p in today's money. We lived one and a half miles from school so had a round trip of 3 miles, bit of a mad dash. On the odd occasion I had school dinners I really liked them, a lot better than my mums cooking.

Have you asked school if you can go in and have a dinner with your child? That will give you a better idea of how it is done and if you then feel he is not able to cope, then you can return to sandwiches, or ask that he has specific support. There can be many problem areas around dinnertime eg. noise (headphones), smells, having to make a choice, sitting in a different place next to different children etc. School maybe able to help with some of those difficulties, or this could be another reason you used as evidence that you wanted a different placement - if that is something you think could be possible further down the line.