Cariad

I'm sooo torn

As in my previous posts I explained how I removed my son from the Independent school he was attending due to physical assaults by EBD pupils, and having a serious sexual assault by another EBD pupil whilst on a school trip.. the list is endless! Well he has a 1-1 four days a week and still no school, I've tried so many different schools to be turned down as they are not in our borough.

Well the LEA have offered us a mainstream school in a SRB base (non applicable as he is ASD) but they have a ASD base, but he'd find it very hard to go into mainstream classes of 25 plus.. Or an Independent special ASD school where they are very severe, and he would be one of the more able children there but stay until he is 19. He is 14 next month and time is running out, the LEA have been awful and in the end it took the Ombudsmen to make them move!

What do I do for the best? I don't want him to be isolated, in the special school with no friends, he craves them so much and is so lonely and loves talking and interacting! Then again I don't want him out of his depth in this HUGE school.. He went to a mainstream primary school in a SRB base and it didn't work at all.

I'm so confused and time is fast running out :(

Edited by Cariad

Have you looked at other independent schools? It sounds as though you are in a good position to get whatever school you find that is suited to your child. Don't worry about 16+ yet - it is no good being in a school til 19 if it is not the right school.

What is SRB?

Have you looked at other independent schools? It sounds as though you are in a good position to get whatever school you find that is suited to your child. Don't worry about 16+ yet - it is no good being in a school til 19 if it is not the right school.

What is SRB?

Special resource base, it's for severe learning difficulties which my son doesn't have. He has mild and is a couple of years behind.

I remember you posting before.

Didn't you find a school you wanted but you were told it was full?

If the options being presented to you are not suitable then don't go with either of them.

Go with the school you think most suitable (have a couple of options available if possible).

I'm not sure how it works to appeal if a placement is changed and you want to appeal against that. I'm sure someone will post with that. But if you can find a school that is suitable - independent, private etc, then you are in a good position to get that place.

I remember you posting before.

Didn't you find a school you wanted but you were told it was full?

If the options being presented to you are not suitable then don't go with either of them.

Go with the school you think most suitable (have a couple of options available if possible).

I'm not sure how it works to appeal if a placement is changed and you want to appeal against that. I'm sure someone will post with that. But if you can find a school that is suitable - independent, private etc, then you are in a good position to get that place.

The school is in a different borough so it's up to them to take him which they refused as they were full. I'd have to go to a tribunal which would take 6 months plus, and I might not win so then he'll be 14 1/2 and have hardly any time in a school.

The school is in a different borough so it's up to them to take him which they refused as they were full. I'd have to go to a tribunal which would take 6 months plus, and I might not win so then he'll be 14 1/2 and have hardly any time in a school.

What about home schooling? Some colleges offer a 14+ service for kids for some reason or another that cannot attend school.

Edited by trekster

What about home schooling? Some colleges offer a 14+ service for kids for some reason or another that cannot attend school.

Thanks trekster we are looking at a college in the future, just need to fill in the forms and cross our fingers!

Well I took T to the Independent ASD school and it kind of went pear shaped. He sulked and the head said "Oo look at this"pointing to a pupil on a bike on a photo, he replied "I know what it is I'm not stupid you know".. Then we were shown the class he could be in and they weren't as high functioning and he put hi head in his hands and said "I want to go"..

He did chat with the staff about Windows 2003 and Vista and try to hack the PC's, but then added "I don't want to be here with Autistic children who scream and make noises" :unsure:

So maybe he cleared it up for me?

We are in the same postion with a school being out of borough now.

Even though my daughter goes to the school and it is actually just over the road but we are on one side of a local council and over the road is another council so its quite frustrating.

What we have decided to do is to let our son start nursery in mainstream on an IEP whilst in nursery and when he is in nursery look to get a statement once his foot is in the door. :lol::lol:

Then he will go into the school with all needs met.

Seems bad we have to do this but it feels like the only option other than fighting long term.

In your postion i suggest speaking with http://www.parentpartnership.org.uk/

Also i would be looking to use the Disability discrimination act which cleary states you cannot refuse addmision to any school on grounds of disability.

is he anxious and scared worried because he fears that same situations he been through in EBD school will happen again has he had help and support through trauma and stress he been through e.g serious sexual assault??? this maybe affecting his motavation to go back to school has this been looked in ??? has he talked to anyone about what happened to him what he been through??? i speak with NAS and see what practial help and advice support they can give you at this difficult time