Sign in to follow this  
got the tshirt

Thinking about food

I know it is common for children with an asd to be fussy eaters but does anyone else have a similar problem to me?

My Dd3 has food fads where she will eat a particular type of food over and over and will ask for it all the time. Then suddenly she hates it and you would think you were trying to poison her just by putting it on her plate.

It's not a massive issue because we are kind of used to it now, but it does sometimes make me wonder.

Does anyone else have similar stuff going on with food? B)

I know it is common for children with an asd to be fussy eaters but does anyone else have a similar problem to me?

My Dd3 has food fads where she will eat a particular type of food over and over and will ask for it all the time. Then suddenly she hates it and you would think you were trying to poison her just by putting it on her plate.

It's not a massive issue because we are kind of used to it now, but it does sometimes make me wonder.

Does anyone else have similar stuff going on with food? B)

Hi yes I got same problem times by two!My six yr old has had this problem since I started weaning him.When he was little he loved cold food even milk,when he got bigger he loved cheese sandwiches but always sliced(not grated)and must be cut into quarters,he called it windows,he would eat it three times a day most days.He changed a bit when he started full time ed he began trying new foods but it is hard to say what he wants at any given time.He went through two yrs of loving lasagna now he HATES it.He has never liked gravy and sauce so spag bol is just dry spag and curry and rice is just curry he doesnt eat rice at all or tomatoes.I must say he loves fruit nearly all fruit.At the mo he is into peanut butter sanwiches I go through two jars a week!

Then there is Daniel he is three,his dad started weaning him cause we worked shifts,he got used to this and will now only eat properly with his dad,which is hard as we dont live together anymore.Last yr when I left his dad,he just turned two,all he ate for three months is cocopops,then one day decided he didnt want that,then it was chocolate spread sandwich three times a day for two months,then weetabix again for three meals that lasted until recently,now its pancakes and mince with Fussilli pasta(only Fussilli) and the mince is cooked by his dad and freezed,he wont eat anything I cook,it has to come from a box.He has never eaten anything I have made from scratch NEVER!!!Mealtimes are hard as I have four boys,two(my eldest and youngest)have excellent appetites and eat anything,the other two never eat what we eat and therefore I make three meals each night!

I'm the same, myself.

I'll eat nothing but one kind of food for breakfast for weeks and it can be very difficult for me if I run out of that particular food... And then all of a sudden, my dad will have stocked up on that food, and I'll decide I don't want it anymore and can't stand eating it. The last breakfast obsession was pancakes. My current lunch/dinner obsession is banana sandwiches.

Yes T is like this.. he was a banana freak and now he "HATES them and says he's allergic to them" :lol:

So the food of the day now is Ham and red sauce sandwiches, or chocolate.. nothing vaguely healthy but still working on it!

Edited by Cariad

Hi, again, I'm the same. I must eat the same food in the same sequence for about a year generally and then hate the stuff. Then enter another routine. The wonder to me is that, it never struck me as odd until I found out what was causing it.

Hi Ric, the thing is it wasn't odd to you because you have always done it. It's only when somebody points it out that you notice.

Anyway who's to say its odd. it's just different !

Hi boy, my Dd1 had a pancake thing going for a while, once when we were away [ she was 18 at the time] she flipped the pancake and dropped it on the floor. Then she put the frying pan on the floor while she picked the pancake up and burnt a hole in the carpet !!

And people wonder why I don't let Dd2 cook!

Cariad, my Dd3 says she's allergic to things she doesn't like too. Nice try hey !!

Thanx for replies.

Hi, I'm truly sorry if I have caused offense. I really didn't mean to use the word 'odd' in that context and you are absolutely right to point that out.

Please accept my apologies.

Ric

:rolleyes: food . He eats dry cocoa shreddies with a seperate glass of soya milk, ribena and sparlking water,bourbon biscuits and chcoalte digestives,yoguts but smooth,farleys rusks in soya milk,hot toast with melting butter at home only,hula hoops,finely choped meat in a red chilli based/cumin sauce with spagetti or rice,chips and chicken nuggets ,chocolate,ice cream now and a mars ice cream now and when he feels like it chocolate cake i make. he drinks orange juice,i get him to eat tescos caramels bars instead of mars since they are a £1 just now.and jammy dodgers. he is lean and rarely ill his bones are straight and strong he gets IQ liquid in his drinks,i mamaged to mix vegetables into his mince ragu won't eat any fruit and he is 10. I would love to see him tuck into a pizza and a burger. :wub:

My brother isn't autistic but is quite particular about food too and tends to eat the same foods over and over. He only started eating pizza a few years ago (he's 20 years old) and up until then it was a food he was adamant he hated, but as soon as he tried it it became his all time favourite food.

I have 2 out of three children who have been diagnosed with ASD and tea time is hit and miss. I refuse to make it a battle anymore and just provide food I know they will eat while occasionally introducing new things. Unfortunately my 2 year old is very influenced by her big sisters and so has become equally as fussy!!!! :fight:

However, saying that my brother who is not ASD was really faddy with food as a kid, I think he may have been 16 years old when he fianlly grew out of it!! I think the point I'm trying to make is that it's mainly a kid thing rather than an ASD thing and as frustrating as it is they are usually getting all the nutrition they need.