Sign in to follow this  
chris54

The birds and the bees.

My son (9) is now a avid reader, one on his favourite thing is science. Got lots of books about all sorts of subjects.

Last night he was reading a book on human anatomy, specially reproduction. Got a second book out to cross reference it. Then said to me "If its in a science book then it true". I'm bracing myself for the questions!

J came home really disapointed in his Sex Education course one day and said that none of it was really clear, he was told silly things from his peers such as you can get pregnant sitting on a toilet seat if a girl has used it, or you can get diseases if you kiss ect......

So we bought a book in the childrens department at Waterstones and was recommended Lets Talk About Sex a growing up, changing bodies Sex and Sexual Health by Robbie H Haris, it has both of us in fits of the giggles are the pictures where a lot more apealing to children, and the biological, scientific, physiological, stuff is as real as you get, and the best bit is that it guides the parents when and what to share throw the ages as all children develop differently.

Have to recommend this book.

JsMumxx

J came home really disapointed in his Sex Education course one day and said that none of it was really clear, he was told silly things from his peers such as you can get pregnant sitting on a toilet seat if a girl has used it, or you can get diseases if you kiss ect......

So we bought a book in the childrens department at Waterstones and was recommended Lets Talk About Sex a growing up, changing bodies Sex and Sexual Health by Robbie H Haris, it has both of us in fits of the giggles are the pictures where a lot more apealing to children, and the biological, scientific, physiological, stuff is as real as you get, and the best bit is that it guides the parents when and what to share throw the ages as all children develop differently.

Have to recommend this book.

JsMumxx

I got this book for my DS when he was in year 6...I agree it's really good, with two little cartoon characters.

Bid :)

The fits of giggles were page 20/21 I felt it gave a true resemblance that we are all different in shape, hight, colour, disability, race, everything was covered, but this page did make us giggle.

The cartoon charachters are very funny.

JsMumxxx

My eldest is 9(NT) and I dont know how to talk about this topic.He hasnt been taught anything at school but he knows what it is to be "gay" and also has mentioned "sex" but not sure he knows what it is.The kids at the school seem to know far to much and I really try keeping my boys...well boys not teenagers.Even my 6 yr old has said some shocking things to me,dont know how to deal with this I just brush it off and tell them not to tak about this.

I have told his dad to talk to him but he says he is to young,I dont want him being mis- informed.I think I will buy the book suggested it may make it easier.

we have 2 books in our house, one called "where willy went" and the second is "mummy laid am egg". they are wonderful and highly recommended especially for young ones. HTH