justine1

Blood tests

Hi

I know someone asked this before so sorry for repeating the question.My son got his dx just before christmas,the paed gave us a letter to take to the hospital to get bloods done its for DNA and chromosome analysis,has anyone had this done?I didnt have time to query it as she had spent nearly 2 hrs on the assesment.I am not sure if it is necessary???

When J was younger he was Tested for Fragile X, as a lot of his symptoms are also common with Fragile X syndrome, as J couldnt cope with the blood tests I was tested to see if I was a carrier, if I was then they would of tested J, but as I wasnt they did not need to test Jay as for a Fragile X child the mother has to be a carrier.

It is to do with the chromosomes, it is very similair to downs syndrome but one of the chromasomes is fragile.

It can effect females and males but usually the males are more effected and Autism is very common in the symptoms.

I was very scared been tested, but once I got the result I was relieved because I knew J did Not have Fragile X syndrome.

Main Symptoms of Fragile X are very similair to a child dx with Autism/ADHD/Learning Difficulties, severe behavioural difficulties and some children will have facial features that are long and different to normal children.

There is other conditions that are related to Autism too, so they are just canceling out the possibility of a genetic issue.

Its pointless saying dont worry, because obvously it is a worrying time, but hopefully answers will also help move forward what ever the result.

JsMumxxx

Hi

I know someone asked this before so sorry for repeating the question.My son got his dx just before christmas,the paed gave us a letter to take to the hospital to get bloods done its for DNA and chromosome analysis,has anyone had this done?I didnt have time to query it as she had spent nearly 2 hrs on the assesment.I am not sure if it is necessary???

I think it is now normal practice for blood tests to be taken, in order to find the cause of the ASD. He could have a chromosomal disorder like fragile X, which is hereditary. If your son has this, then the rest of the family, esp. those of child bearing age, should be tested and given genetic counselling.

We did not have any blood tests done when my son was diagnosed.

Do you feel your child would stay still for them to take blood?

If not then talk to them about how they can do it.

It maybe as already said that they can test your blood.

My son has never had to have blood taken. But whenever the question has been raised I have always said that there is not a hope in hell of him staying still and letting anyone with a needle anywhere near him. And they have always said "don't worry, we have ways of getting blood." I've never followed it further to see what they meant. But they would have to sedate my son to get near him.

Both of my boys and myself have been tested for fragile X and Marcus and i both have markers at the upper limit of normal for this condition, we are awaiting piers results. We go back to the geneticist on tuesday for these. We are taking part in a research study by Cambrifge university to attempt to find a genetic cause for autism. They will require more blood from Marcus on tuesday (they think he may have another genetic condition which they didn,t know about at the time of his Dx)which i am dreading he hates them and at 14 he is a big lad and although I feel the tests are important I can,t force him.

We did not have any blood tests done when my son was diagnosed.

Do you feel your child would stay still for them to take blood?

If not then talk to them about how they can do it.

It maybe as already said that they can test your blood.

My son has never had to have blood taken. But whenever the question has been raised I have always said that there is not a hope in hell of him staying still and letting anyone with a needle anywhere near him. And they have always said "don't worry, we have ways of getting blood." I've never followed it further to see what they meant. But they would have to sedate my son to get near him.

I have no idea how Sam will react to getting his blood taken,he has never been to hospital,except at three months of course he does not remember.He didnt feel anything when he had his pre school booster 3 years ago,but the nurse is really good at distracting kids there are others who just want to get the job over with quickly.They said I should go to my GP before going to the hospital,they will then give him some special cream to numb the area(anesthetic cream) so it may not hurt.I will hate myself saying it wont hurt and then it does.

My worry is the hospital is 40 min bus ride (each way) and therefore it will be a big waste if I go there and then he plays up,if it were local I think I would go.I may call my GP and see what they suggest.

Thank you all for your responses.

As far as hospital appointment, giving blood etc, my advise and I know this is easy for me to say is just treat it as a non event, as if it is just a normal part of life. (To keep son as calm as possible)

With us my wife never goes if our son has anything like that as she knows she will react and he will pick up on it. My wife calls me Mr cool as I just don't react, as lest I don't show any reaction to such events/situations.