Tally

Wish me Luck!!!

I have applied for a part time job in warehousing at the zoo.

The form asks if you have a disability that will affect you during interview. I haven't mentioned Asperger's, as I don't think it will affect me at interview. I am probably not going to mention it even at interview as I don't think it will affect my ability to do the job either. If I get asked about things I might struggle with (a common interview question) I will say I sometimes get bogged down in trying to get things perfect and sometimes need someone to nudge me into rushing through things when we are in a hurry. I think that comes over as a positive thing - that I have a good attention to detail - and also maked them aware of the only problem I can invisage. Another thing I think I find hard is that I lack confidence when I am unsure about what I am meant to do, but I don't know if that refelcts badly on me, or a reflection on a lack of training I may have had in previous jobs.

I think I would be good at warehousing and enjoy it, since it would have similarities with my previous job working night shifts in a supermarket. It might also be a way in to working with animals, which is what I would really, really love to do eventually.

On the questions about team work, I have said I can work as a team, and cited examples of when I have done in the past. I have also said that I consider working alone when necessary as an important way of supporting your colleagues and maintaining a good working relationship with others.

I have talked about storing food products in appropriate temperatures and stock rotation, which will be important since they will be receiving deliveries of refrigerated and frozen food items for the animals, and also for human consumption in shops and cafes.

Wish me luck!

Very best - hope it all pans out...

Mind you, I imagine stocktaking will be a bit of an adventure - look what happened in Jurrassic park!

And as for the guppies and rabbits you'll never be able to keep up...

I suppose counting the elephants will be timed very precisely though: 1 elephant, two elephants, three elephants......

:D

I have talked about storing food products in appropriate temperatures and stock rotation, which will be important since they will be receiving deliveries of refrigerated and frozen food items for the animals, and also for human consumption in shops and cafes.

This is where attention to detail would be a definite asset - imagine if the deliveries went to the wrong place, and the elephant food found it's way into the cafe burgers. :unsure: Or the tigers found themselves munching on the rubbish usually served up in the cafe. :rolleyes:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Good luck, Tally. Be confident- you have very relevant experience and are more than capable- try and think of achievements from your last job that you can bring into the interview, such as,

'Well, I introduced a more space-efficient method of sacking tins that benefited all the warehouse staff....' or somesuch thing......and any training courses you were put through, like Health and Safety awareness, fire safety training, stock related stuff, make sure you talk about it!! You have lots to offer and believe me, most of us go into interviews pretending we feel a lot more confident/comfortable than we really do!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, pal! X

I've just had an email telling me the assessment day will consist of awesome group activities for me to sink my teeth into :huh:

Now I'm scared!

I've just had an email telling me the assessment day will consist of awesome group activities for me to sink my teeth into :huh:

Awesome... :rolleyes::lol:

Shouldn't it be the animals that are sinking their teeth into things? :unsure:

well done, you will be great! Believe in yourself, please!

Sorry for multiple reply of same post, I was trying to edit it - what I meant to say was maybe if you have some friends you could practise by thinking of some of the sorts of questions they may ask or tasks they may ask you to look at, and then get a couple of people (relatives, friends whoever will be suitable!) to practise with you. Have at least two you trust to give you some feedback and the more you practise the (I hope) more comfortable you will feel when the big day comes...

I hate these sort of things, but always find the build up to it is always much worse than actually doing it.

I am not diagnosed ASD (and dont think I am, I do have children with these conditions) so will not even say I can fully understand your situation but I am always nervous about stuff like this and have to almost act as someone else in order to cope with it - I have actually been on the other side as well, assessing people (graduates) who applied to the company I used to work for, that is also stressful!

Edited by westie

I'm starting to wonder if it might not be as bad as I first thought. The place I've applied to is a zoo/theme park, so as well as warehousing staff, they will also be recruiting for people who are outgoing, great with children, etc, for customer-facing positions. The assessment day may be for all types of staff, and it may not matter quite a much if I am a bit quiet considering I am not applying for a customer-facing position.

It's also going to make me late for work by up to an hour, so I don't know what to tell my boss considering I don't want to tell him I am applying for other work.

It's also going to make me late for work by up to an hour, so I don't know what to tell my boss considering I don't want to tell him I am applying for other work.

I think this is where those things they call little white lies (no idea why they're 'white' :unsure:) come in:

• Stuck in traffic
  • Took the car to the garage as the brakes felt dodgy
  • Flat tyre
  • Took the tiger to the vet
  • Washing machine has flooded the kitchen and you had to mop up
  • A possum bit through the wires to the main circuit board and you had to call an emergency electrician
  • A very localised snowstorm stranded you in your house
  • You saw a pair of rabbits in the garden :robbie::robbie: and didn't want your house overrun by bunnies by teatime so decided to capture them for teatime :eat:
  • You put your clock forward by an hour because you like time as it is and want it to remain the same when the clocks change at the end of March :wacko:
  • The rabbits took up too much freezer space so you had to eat all the other items before you could leave the house :eat1:
  • Etc.
  • Etc.

Now I'm scared!

There is a good chance that whoever supervises the assessment day will 'get' that there's something odd about your behaviour towards other people. You might consider mentioning AS now, as a precaution.