Kaspieman

Concessionary bus passes - disabled

This question is directed to those in the UK... if you have Asperger's Syndrome and aren't registered with any mental health or general learning disability groups, if you have a concessionary, disabled bus pass, how do you manage to get it renewed?

This is a UK only forum so those from outside the uk shouldnt be posting on here anyway.

i ticked the learning disability box and got my pass before i got my provisional driving licence. i didnt renew it when it expired recently.

This is a UK only forum so those from outside the uk shouldnt be posting on here anyway.

This is a UK-based forum, so it is likely that most members are going to be from the UK. However, there is no ban on members from other countries!

I don't know the answer to the question - sorry.

I just wanted to say that although the vast majority of people on the forum are from the UK, there are a few members from other parts of the world. People outside the UK are welcome to post here - there is no rule about this. :)

K x

Hi.In London a freedom pass is available to those who qualify.It covers bus,tube and inner London trains.In our borough pupils with SEN can apply.I think acceptance is based on documentation of SEN rather than a specific diagnosis.

We have independent travel trainers in our LA.They work with people who need extra support to become confident and safe in using public transport independently due to a disability.They told me that Ben would qualify for a freedom pass.They work for the LA the same as the people who issue freedom passes so they said if there was a problem to refer the assesors back to them.

Karen.

Hi.In London a freedom pass is available to those who qualify.It covers bus,tube and inner London trains.In our borough pupils with SEN can apply.I think acceptance is based on documentation of SEN rather than a specific diagnosis.

We have independent travel trainers in our LA.They work with people who need extra support to become confident and safe in using public transport independently due to a disability.They told me that Ben would qualify for a freedom pass.They work for the LA the same as the people who issue freedom passes so they said if there was a problem to refer the assesors back to them.

Karen.

My son has had his for about a year now, it was claimed on the grounds he is unable to travel anywhere alone. I am not sure when they need re-applying for here in Wales, I think is was every 3-5years. Obviously a child's features will change quicker so 3 years at most I think. I had no issues at all getting him a bus pass, I've tried getting him to use it, no go so far ! he won't handle the card let alone present it to the driver, as this is interaction... He will get on the bus with me march straight to the back of the bus ignoring the driver entirely. Another aspect is a refusal to sit anywhere where he is forced to sit next to a stranger, either he sits with me or he stands all the way. He will sometimes tell people to move because his dad sits there, which doesn't make us popular !

mine doesn't expire until 2011 so i dont know about renewing it, but to get it in the first place i took a letter from an educational psychologist into the council offices and highlighted the parts i thought relevant in front of them. i got it with no hassle and have no 'proper' learning difficulties and at that point had no diagnosis, only a statement on the report that said she felt i needed testing for it. i said i couldn't drive because of my problems. if i had been able to drive i would not have qualified as its meant for people who can't use their own transport.

But only UK relevant, I haven't heard of the USA offering free bus passes...

Of course most of the information here is UK specific given that most posters live in the UK. I think most people who read the forum would soon realise that, (and the URL is a bit of a giveaway!). But people from elsewhere obviously get something from the forum: over the time I've been here we've had several regular posters from different parts of the world, and who knows how many others who lurk and don't post.

I'm only harping on about this in response to an earlier post in this thread (not the OP) which might give the wrong impression that people from outside the UK are not welcome here - which is definitely not the case!

K x

in the waveney area, we can get a free bus pass for children as they are all ready getting consession prices - a third off the price! you can only apply once the person is over 16

thats our council rulings!

Bus passes for disabled people vary hugely across the country. Here in Derbyshire, someone with learning difficulties can only get a pass if they are a social services user - ie someone who goes to a day care centre. No-one else qualifies. It sucks. Until last year you automatically qualified if you received DLA, but that was removed when the pensioners got their nation-wide free travel.

Even a doctors letter is not enough to get a pass. If anyone out there is in Derbyshire and has managed to get a pass, please let me know how.

hi where we are in scotland my wee boy has a bus pass from the council,

i get to travel free with him as his carer.

noogsy x

I ticked the learning disability box and got my pass before I got my provisional driving licence. I didn't renew it when it expired recently.

Based on my reading of this I don't think I'm eligible.

Edited by Aeolienne