dekaspace

Confusing assessment.

Had a psycologist assessment at local NHS place earlier today which is somewhat contradicatory to other reports I have done.

Have had uni dyslexia and dyspraxia assessments done that indicate that I should be assessed for aspergers, had uni lecturer (who is ex school teacher) pull me aside and say he thinks I have aspergers, had a assessment at jobcentre back when signing on that said I was on the ASD spectrum and have been told by people who dont know I was waiting to be assessed but have kids with autism/aspergers say to me that "not being funny but do you have aspergers"

I know its self diagnosis but I tick all the boxes and have done online tests that say I was high risk.

Anyway the appointment was short as I was 20 minutes late so spent about 30 minutes with the doctor, he just asked me about myself and I said I was generally unhappy and had 1 girlfriend in my 27 years of life and that was 7 years ago and I dont like getting touched, hate company and shake a lot and faint easy, I have 1 friend who I have known 9 years and cannot make new ones, cant flirt, have terrible timekeeping and only see the world through my eyes and cant understand others, can talk to someone for like a hour and all be 1 sided etc.

The assessment wasnt for aspergers though thats what got me thinking, I had to tell him near the end that the doctor wanted me to come to get a basic assessment done so I can be reffered for aspergers but the guy said that I have no mental health issues, and no ASD's and just sound like a nevous person!

Very confusing as it makes no sense to me since I have had bulimia in the past and had thoughts of suicide in the past.

i would ask for a 2nd opinion considering complete strangers have identified you as an undiagnosed asperger.

I would also consider the fact that the NHS has near to no knowledge of diagnosing adult Aspergers. I had a similar experience when I went with the NHS and I eventually went private to a NAS approved psychologist. Took me 3 hours to get there and cost me around £400 not including travel costs however I believe it was worth every bit of effort and cost!

The psychologist actually knew what I was talking about, where as the NHS therapist I saw didn't have a clue what Aspergers was. She seemed to ask me all the right questions and posed things I hadn't consider which helped me learn more about myself. She also wrote up a report for me detailing what we'd discussed, what my parents had put forward about me and details of the assessment she used with my scores.

It might be that you can't afford that right now, but I'd look up the nearest approved psychologist and either see if you can be referred to them or just start saving. Took me just over a year to save as I already had debts that I had to get rid of first but I did it in the end so I'm sure you can too (if you decide to)! :)

I would also consider the fact that the NHS has near to no knowledge of diagnosing adult Aspergers.

That depends what you mean by NHS. The CLASS clinic (Baron-Cohen's clinic) and the Maudsley are both NHS services. I don't think anyone could argue that these do not have an understanding of adult AS dx. Of course, getting a referral to them is another thing altogether. :rolleyes:

it really does depend on area. west sussex has an adult HFA/AS unit which does assessments and that is NHS, hampshire also have a centre. it all depends on area.

also dont underestimate that although the psychologist might not know the deeper details of AS, but they should be more than capable of telling if something is abnormal (deviations from the social norm are a core part of psychiatry/psychology). i was first seen by a psychologist who backed my need for an assessment, and that was just a 40 minute session where i talked. its very easy to dismiss things when you dont get the answer you wanted/expected but at the end of the day that person had to go through X years of training and has Y years of experience so they're not ignorant.

ASD, as a developmental disorder, requires that you've had specific problems from your early childhood on. If the onset of these problems is puberty or later, you get other diagnoses, see ICD-10 F60.

Ok, I was being a bit general in my remarks I admit: it probably does vary quite differently in different areas (and I didn't realise Baron-Cohen's facility was NHS run) but south Wales (where I live) is notorious for poor mental health care so that's probably why I get that impression. Also the first person I saw may have had the skills as you say, but was completely ignorant to my issues and I was also told that I shouldn't have been referred to her as she was an Occupational Therapist and wouldn't have had the appropriate training for an assessment. Either way, seeking a second opinion would be a good idea if dekaspace is still concerned.

I do think you need to go back to your GP and either go back to the same person for more sessions or a different Pschologist.I do agree with the GP though it maybe best to go for a full assesment not just focused on AS/ASD that way you wont have to keep going back to the GP.Personally I would not spend money just yet,try and insist that you need some form of help with how you feel,even if you can get medication or some form of therapy.If after a few months you still not getting anywhere then you can prehaps persue the private route.Of course you can still start saving for it anyway just in case.

but the guy said that I have no mental health issues, and no ASD's and just sound like a nevous person!

Very confusing as it makes no sense to me since I have had bulimia in the past and had thoughts of suicide in the past.

A nervous person doesnt have thoughts of suicide and a history of bulimia, those are mental health issues and need addressing, it could be that you have co morbids and if you do have AS then your needs have not been met and addressed and therefore your mental health have suffered, the guy doesnt know enough about mental health by the sounds of it never mind ASDs! defo see your GP and ask for a Referral for ASD.

My son is High Functioning on the Autistic Spectrum Disorder he also has Severe Mental Health Disorder and you cant treat just one of those because you have to treat both conditions.

I would defo contact NAS for more information for ASDs and look at an assessment they also have information on People who have un/diagnoses of ASD and Mental Health problems.

There is also nothing wrong with stating your feelings that you suspect you have undx ASD at present and looking at an assessment.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Was it a psychologist who saw you, or just a GP? I would try and get to see someone else based on what you've said. Perhaps it would be helpful if one of the uni lecturers or assessers could give you something in writing to take with you that would make them take you more seriously (assuming you are still at uni). To just write you off as a "nervous person" with no psychological problems despite previously having bulemia and thoughts of ending your life sounds very wrong to me.