Sign in to follow this  
hev

residential care

i post on here for my friend a lot who has trouble coping with her son and social services havent helped at all so she has decided the best thing for danny is for him to go to residential care,shes been crying all weekend and phoned me now,how do you go about it?do you have to see a social worker and is it a battle for the LEA to agree?is it the LEA who deals with it?its not a desicion she has taken lightly but its the only one she can think of as social services visited her 3 weeks ago as an emergency as she was self harming but they only phoned her yesterday to say a report needs to be signed by the manager,whatever that means,is there someone higher we can go to as shes desperate for help but i dont know what to do thanks

I think SS deal with residentual care, however if it was a residential school then that would be LEA and v time consuming. I would ring up ss on mon am and pester them if you can't get her sw then ask to speak to the duty person there should be an emegency sw on at all times! If you get no where with this could you persuade your freind to go to her GP and see if they can put their imput into sw to hurry them along. Also it sounds as if your freind could do with some professional support herself.

Also does your freind have any suport from community mental health, if she does she if they can help.

If it is a residential school she is going for the LEA will be against it unless his current school is not meeting his needs. Occasionally SS will share the cost of a residential school with the LEA, though in our experience few people manage to get this. Social services did not want to know when I was going for a residential school, they refused to get involved.

Karen