PeterC

Can aspergers make you act camp?

I just wondering. I am a male aspie and I was just wondering if it is my aspergers that makes me act slightly camp. I hate football & rugby, I like the performing arts (although I am not that good), my personality is also a bit camp but not very camp.

Is it my aspergers or is it just who I am? I seem to be one of two aspies in my school who is like that (the other one just hates contact sport and talks very camp). The other male aspies arn't camp at all.

Edited by PeterC

I just wondering. I am a male aspie and I was just wondering if it is my aspergers that makes me act slightly camp. I hate football & rugby, I like the performing arts (although I am not that good), my personality is also a bit camp but not very camp.

Is it my aspergers or is it just who I am? I seem to be one of two aspies in my school who is like that (the other one just hates contact sport and talks very camp). The other male aspies arn't camp at all.

Neurotypicals can be camp as well. I think it's just who you are.

Hi

I know a number of people with AS and have found that they are perhaps drawn to certain hobbies/interests/sports. Whilst I don't think one can stereotype, I think those choices are perhaps more to do with the fact that people with AS can have some difficulty with social interaction, for example, competitive sports such as football can cause a great deal of stress (rules, etc) and so are perhaps generally avoided. I'm unsure about what you'd perhaps define as 'camp' – I don't think the fact that you hate football and like performing arts makes you camp. However, again trying to be careful not to stereotype, I've met a number of men who are very camp in my view. By that I mean a whole package of things (not just any one thing) ie voice, choice of clothing, demeanor, etc which all perhaps contribute to one appearing camp. I don't think there's any connection between AS and being camp.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

what is a proper definition of camp? what does it consist of mannerisms behvaior etc. Is this something else we need to be aware of in our behavior to function in the world. Please advise.

Oh and just to add... I don't have many friends but most of my friends are female. Is the fact that most of my mates being female anything to do with my AS or not? Because I seem to be the only male aspie who has more female mates than male mates in my year.

I have yet to come across anyone on the autistic spectrum who doesn't have sensory issues. A lot of people with ASDs have difficulty with processing complex movement and tactile hypersensitivity which means team sports and contact sports are a no-no for them. Auditory processing difficulties can lead to unusual speech patterns. My son sounds like he has been to public school, even though his father has a Scots accent, my accent is from the rural south-east and ds grew up in the west midlands.

Some people sound/behave 'camp' because they choose to do so - it's a social signal. Others sound/behave like that because that's how they sound/behave. It's isn't necessarily associated with aspergers.

cb

I would consider "camp" to mean effeminate mannerisms, the type stereotypically associated with gay men.

From what I have seen, more men with ASD come across this way than non-ASD men. There are definitely many straight NT men who act camp, but it does seem to be more common in ASD.

I've always assumed it was something to do with not understanding social expectations so well in ASD, and that more non-ASD men would prefer to be slightly camp if they didn't feel social pressure to act "manly."

I don't know how much AS plays a part in this really. I am female, but have always been the opposite ie rather masculine in my interests, mannerisms and behaviours (although I also come across very "posh" in some respects, particularly the way I speak).

I put it a lot down to social expectations - I always got on better with boys than girls and was relatively close to my brother whereas I didn't really get on with my sister, etc. so I think I adopted more masculine traits as a way of trying to fit in - which I guess could be partially attributed to my AS.

PeterC, your dislike of football and rugby might just be a reflection of difficulties with team sports (which are typical on the spectrum). Also, you're perhaps unaware of some prejudices against men who act 'camp' (in certain groups) while NTs often succumb to group pressure and suppress their 'camp' feelings/actions.

My NT son has mostly female friends.He is athletic but not sporty(really bad co-ordination.)He definatley seems "camp" he loves dancing,tap,ballet and ballroom.Even when he was three he was doing ballet at his nursery and the ballet teacher said he piroet(excuse the spelling) better than any girl!

He has been teased kids say he is gay etc.But he just ignores it.He told me last year that he thinks its brilliant being close to girls cause he can understand them so it will be easy to get a girlfriend.I thought that is clever for a 9 year old!