marc1984

aspergers and adhd

has anyone got more than 1 child with these conditions

I may have.My six year old has a diagnosis of Aspergers and my four year old is waiting for an assesment.I know that my four year old does not have Aspergers but definatley ASD,somewhere on the spectrum.They have similar "symptoms" but also very different,one example would be my son with Aspergers has advanced speech like that of an adult whereas my four year old has little speech and mis pronounces things.

They both run ahead and "mis behave" excessively when out.They also both seem in their own world most of the time,singing/humming constantly and making noises.

My 18 year old is dyslexic and has Irlens syndrome, my 16 year old has ADHD, pectus extracus, & misses every 3rd heart beat, 15 year old has ADD & 10 year old has ADHD.sensory issues & learning difficulties. Mum and Dad are bit stressed!

Edited by cathyz

Mt brother is suspected ADD and im an asperger.

Mt brother is suspected ADD and im an asperger.

thanks for the replys, just didnt know if it was the norm to have all their childrens on the spectrum. My children are 25,23 and 20 .

Do people think the conditions get worse the older you get because this is what we are experiencing

we have 4 children my oldest has autism, second has social communication disorder, severve language difficulties, dyspraxia, third child has LD epilepsy, ADD, and ASD. last child is now being tested for ASD and is gifted and talented. How i havent run away and joined the army ide never know. lol

thanks for the replys, just didnt know if it was the norm to have all their childrens on the spectrum. My children are 25,23 and 20 .

Do people think the conditions get worse the older you get because this is what we are experiencing

In my case it was due to the rubbish i was eating. In some cases yes it can get worse but generally mines gotten better

post gf/cf diet, no benzoates, no msg or aspartame and ALA/DMSA chelation.

we have 4 children my oldest has autism, second has social communication disorder, severve language difficulties, dyspraxia, third child has LD epilepsy, ADD, and ASD. last child is now being tested for ASD and is gifted and talented. How i havent run away and joined the army ide never know. lol

I know the feeling some months are terrible and some times i think its harder to cope with now they are getting older. But its a good job they have us because i dont know what my kids would do with out my help most of the time

I have Dd1 who was almost diagnosed at 9 with ADHD then the pysch decided it was my bad parenting that was the problem!!!. She is now 21 I am almost certain she has Aspergers, She was gifted and talented at school and now lives away from home with her 2 year old daughter.

The we have Dd2 14 who is about as NT as the come, although she had great difficulties with leaning to read and I suspect that she could be mildly dyslexic. She is currently refusing to be tested.

Dd3 is ccurrently being assessed for an ASD, possibly aspergers.

And yes you are right it does get harder as they get older. B)

I have Dd1 who was almost diagnosed at 9 with ADHD then the pysch decided it was my bad parenting that was the problem!!!. She is now 21 I am almost certain she has Aspergers, She was gifted and talented at school and now lives away from home with her 2 year old daughter.

The we have Dd2 14 who is about as NT as the come, although she had great difficulties with leaning to read and I suspect that she could be mildly dyslexic. She is currently refusing to be tested.

Dd3 is ccurrently being assessed for an ASD, possibly aspergers.

And yes you are right it does get harder as they get older. B)

My oldest son i always knew he wasnt like other children but because he wasnt alot of trouble when he was younger i didnt give him as much attention as my second son who was the child from hell from the age of 18months.And my third child was also put to the side a bit as the middle child needed i thought at the time more of my time. I could write a book on it lol.There has been so much grief and heart ache in our family life and i hope it would get easier but life is getting harder for them as they are now adults and having to cope in the real world if you know what im trying to say

My oldest son i always knew he wasnt like other children but because he wasnt alot of trouble when he was younger i didnt give him as much attention as my second son who was the child from hell from the age of 18months.And my third child was also put to the side a bit as the middle child needed i thought at the time more of my time. I could write a book on it lol.There has been so much grief and heart ache in our family life and i hope it would get easier but life is getting harder for them as they are now adults and having to cope in the real world if you know what im trying to say

I have often thought about writing a book. But haven't got time at the moment. Trouble is no one would believe half of what I would write.

I do know what you are saying about them coping in the real world. It is hard. What I am struggling with at the moment with Dd1 is when to step in and when not too.

She rings me when she is having a disaster and If I can't go and help straight away she gets really cross with me. However I have found recently that if I don't go and she sorts the problem out for herself she gets over being cross fairly quickly. It is a balancing act. I have the younger 2 to think of so I am gradually trying to encourage Dd1 to sort things out if she can.

As a family our biggest concern is that she can keep paying her rent because she is completly useless with money but without somewhere to live she and her daughter would be in deep trouble and this might sound terribly selfish but I can't have them living back here, it would be a nightmare.

I don't think this will make you feel any better, but the best thing about coming to this forum is that you realise that there are other people out there.

B)

I have often thought about writing a book. But haven't got time at the moment. Trouble is no one would believe half of what I would write.

I do know what you are saying about them coping in the real world. It is hard. What I am struggling with at the moment with Dd1 is when to step in and when not too.

She rings me when she is having a disaster and If I can't go and help straight away she gets really cross with me. However I have found recently that if I don't go and she sorts the problem out for herself she gets over being cross fairly quickly. It is a balancing act. I have the younger 2 to think of so I am gradually trying to encourage Dd1 to sort things out if she can.

As a family our biggest concern is that she can keep paying her rent because she is completly useless with money but without somewhere to live she and her daughter would be in deep trouble and this might sound terribly selfish but I can't have them living back here, it would be a nightmare.

I don't think this will make you feel any better, but the best thing about coming to this forum is that you realise that there are other people out there.

B)

yes i can totally relate to what ur saying, yes i could write a book lol. thats my biggest fear with my second son him paying bills keeping a roof over his head(the list is endless) where do i start each week brings a new drama.Yes and it good to hear about other people so you dont realise that you are not the only family like this

B)

"Multicolored mathem" is a good book which has some parenting tips for autistic/adhd/dyslexic/dyspraxic difficulties.

I used to feel guilty that Beth is an only child. We always planned to have two kids saying we thought it wasn't fair to have a child alone but then two years of postnatal depression for both of us and Beth not sleeping through the night and we decided we couldn't face it again. I thought Beth's social 'issues' would have been better if she had another child to fight with and it would 'toughen her up' etc but I've changed my mind now. She gets exhausted out in the world day to day and I love that she has a calm home she can return to where the unexpected rarely happens and if it does she can be prepared for it. I think that's why the rest of the family can't see any of her issues (although they do trust me now on that one) because she's generally relaxed in the close family setting.

How people cope with more than one child I do not know - I'm in awe of parents with multiple kids, even ones that don't have any issues to contend with. How many of you guys handle the complicated family situations you're faced with I do not know. There are not enough medals in the world for you guys who keep going day in day out, fighting for your kids rights, fighting the system when it lets them down, loving your kids even when their behaviour is very painful and distressing to you. You are all magnificent and I hope you all get a little time in your day to remember that and believe it :clap::first: .

"Multicoloured mayhem" is a good book which has some parenting tips for autistic/adhd/dyslexic/dyspraxic difficulties.

(sorry typed this on a pc without spell checker)