Tally

Ideas Wanted

Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with a 10-year-old for a day? I can drive, but not more than about half an hour, or we could take a short train journey. I live on the Epsom Downs in Surrey, and we can get to central London on the train from here. It does not need to be a big exciting thing, but I would like it to be something enjoyable and memorable - and most importantly, free or cheap. I have a couple of ideas, but I would love some input from people who might know more than me about what kids are into.

My ideas are:

Kew Gardens (I have a season ticket and child entry is free).

Richmond Park.

Natural History Museum, lunch in Hyde Park, possibility of meeting up with my brother.

A walk somewhere local.

Visiting Oxford Street or Harrods, but then she probably isn't old enough to be into shopping, and we can't afford to buy anything anyway!

For the evening I was planning to make pizzas, so she can choose her own topping and it doesn't have to be the same as mine. If we have time, we could make a cake or something. Maybe we could watch a DVD.

So, do these seem sensible things to let her choose from, or does anyone else have any other good ideas?

Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with a 10-year-old for a day? I can drive, but not more than about half an hour, or we could take a short train journey. I live on the Epsom Downs in Surrey, and we can get to central London on the train from here. It does not need to be a big exciting thing, but I would like it to be something enjoyable and memorable - and most importantly, free or cheap. I have a couple of ideas, but I would love some input from people who might know more than me about what kids are into.

My ideas are:

Kew Gardens (I have a season ticket and child entry is free).

Richmond Park.

Natural History Museum, lunch in Hyde Park, possibility of meeting up with my brother.

A walk somewhere local.

Visiting Oxford Street or Harrods, but then she probably isn't old enough to be into shopping, and we can't afford to buy anything anyway!

For the evening I was planning to make pizzas, so she can choose her own topping and it doesn't have to be the same as mine. If we have time, we could make a cake or something. Maybe we could watch a DVD.

So, do these seem sensible things to let her choose from, or does anyone else have any other good ideas?

Definatley anything outdoors is good,providing the weather is good,fingers crossed :pray: I agree the shopping idea may be a little boring and may be a little expensive too.The evening plan is 100% perfect :thumbs:

I like the idea of Kew gardens, especially if that is somewhere her parents probably wouldn't take her.

Also if her parents go everywhere by car, she is probably still young enough to be interested in going upstairs on a bus and looking out the windows.

You're probably right about the bus, only I don't really know how to take a bus myself :rolleyes: She will be taking the bus to school next term though, so I think I will leave her to do that with her school friends.

I am really looking forward to having my cousin to stay. If it goes well I will try to do it regularly, as I would love the opportunity to build a relationship with her. If we do it more often, we won't have to do such "exciting" things every time. She is starting secondary school next term, so she would probably need to bring homework to do over the weekend anyway. I would love to do the same with the two younger girls as well. The middle one has just turned 8, so I am thinking that maybe next spring we could try it out for the first time. The little one is only 5 and I don't know whether I would manage with her for a whole weekend until she is a little bit older.

I like the idea of Kew gardens, especially if that is somewhere her parents probably wouldn't take her.

Also if her parents go everywhere by car, she is probably still young enough to be interested in going upstairs on a bus and looking out the windows.

if shes ASD i think theres a sensory garden at Kew? Love your ideas Tally and have fun! If its on the 5th there is a meet up of aspies in London, Pm me for details.

Hi Tally

There was an article in the Telegraph today about a new rainforest at Kew called Whispering in the Leaves. There's a website: soundandmusic.org which probably gives more info but looks interesting.

Also, if you did the shopping thing, a 10 year old would love Hamleys, they have lots of things going on like magic tricks - OJ still finds it exciting at 14!!

All your ideas sound great and perfect for your cousin - Richmond park is amazing for kids if they see some deer!! Plus you could take a picnic and feed the ducks - I'm sure I can remember doing that there!!

You'll have a great day!! Just remenber if she is going to be coming regularly, will she/you expect every time to be action packed?

Stella xx

Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with a 10-year-old for a day?

I hear they're quite nice char-grilled on a barbecue. You could try adding some peppers and chili sauce to give it a little more flavour, and perhaps serve it with some wraps and salad and stuff. :eat::ph34r:

I hear they're quite nice char-grilled on a barbecue. You could try adding some peppers and chili sauce to give it a little more flavour, and perhaps serve it with some wraps and salad and stuff. :eat::ph34r:

Oh mumble :lol:

I read this to my nearly 10 year old,he laughed but Sam overheard and said "That is awful,I dont think that is the right thing to do" :lol:

Just remenber if she is going to be coming regularly, will she/you expect every time to be action packed?

If she comes regularly, we will do much less exciting things, like maybe go for a bike ride or a walk, make some cakes or pizzas. Maybe I can even train her to hoover and mow the lawn! We might occasionally go to the cinema to see something that might be unsuitable for her younger sisters, but it's probably not something we would do every time. Mostly she plays with her younger sisters and a couple of other younger children who live in the street. They are in quite a remote area, so she can't meet up with her school friends at the weekends very easily. Her dad has recently lost his job, so they have had to cancel all the after-school clubs as well. So I think that just coming here would be a bit of a treat for her. I'd just like the first time to be something quite fun.

If she complains, I will try Mumble's suggestion. I think she would go nicely in a wrap with some of the spring onions I am growing in the garden :)

Depends on when you're planning on taking her, Tally. If it's a daytime half term trip I'd avoid the museums as they're likely to be packed - the NHM has its new The Deep exhibition opening so it will be barmy in there.

How about Greenwich? Loads to look at in the observatory (including planetarium shows, though you might need to pre-book) and the museums, and if the weather is good you've got the park, maybe even get the boat up the river into London for more options. Most of Greenwich is free, too.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a fab day. We were in London at the end of March and can't wait to go back. Have a great time.

Karen

x

We've finally arranged a date! She went to the Natural History Museum and Science Museum last summer, so she's probably not going to want to do that again. But apparently she has recently done a school project on the Ancient Egyptians, so I am going to suggest the British Museum because they have Egypt stuff therey. I just have to be careful not to get carried away myself and bore her!

My 10 year old would love to go to the cinema to watch anything in 3D or go to the IMAX at Waterloo. There is a street dance movie she really wants to see. She also likes 10-pin bowling and swimming pools with water slides, inflatables or discos. She also likes to read a lot, so a good secondhand book shop is a real treat.

Just round the corner from the British Museum there's a really good playground suitable for older children too called Coram's Fields. Then you could go to the Petrie museum, which is more Egyptian stuff but tiny and they give you torches to look at things to protect the exhibits. All free, I think.

The Petrie Museum looks fantastic! Really different and interesting. Even though it is used by academic researchers, they do say they welcome school trips, so it must also be suitable for children as well. I bet the staff really know their stuff too. It says you are allowed to take photos in there (albeit not with a flash), so if she is still doing her school project on Egypt, she might get something a bit different to include.

Coram's Fields looks good too. A picnic in Hyde Park was supposed to tie in with meeting my brother, but he is working anyway.

Some of my favourite places are: Ancient Egypt section of the British Museum, The Natural History Museum, London Zoo, the Hunterian Museum (perhaps not so child friendly, it's specimins in jars and things about surgery), the Horniman Museum...

Has anyone been to bletchly park to see the autism exhibition of children at the V&A childhood museum? Any good?

Well, it's all organised! She is coming Friday week :)

I think I've got it all worked out so that I can manage it all without knackering myself out too much.

I am going to suggest the Petrie Museum, the British Museum, a tour of the sights in London (or a bit of all 3) or Kew Gardens.

Well, it's all organised! She is coming Friday week :)

I think I've got it all worked out so that I can manage it all without knackering myself out too much.

I am going to suggest the Petrie Museum, the British Museum, a tour of the sights in London (or a bit of all 3) or Kew Gardens.

Brilliant Tally :thumbs: I hope you both have a fantastic time and that we have good weather :)

Have fun and let us know how it goes. :thumbs:

I would recommend the London Wetlands Centre in Barnes. Just getting off the train you can hardly imagine you're so close to central London.