Candyfloss

What do jewish people think of people with Autism

My mum is Jewish and she knows people with ASD and her step son has ADHD.I think its the same as any other "group" of people dont see how its any different.From my experience Jewish people tend to push their kids to excel and spend money for them to do so,so I suppose this works in their favour if they have a child with ASD cause it means they can often put in the resorces for their child to succeed.

They also are quite strict when it comes to caring for "their own" and so are unlikely to abandon someone with ASD.If a parent will not care for the child there will be someone in the community who will do so.From working in various care homes I have only come across one Jewish person who never had family and chose to be in a home.

It may seem like the above is a generalisation,but I am just speaking from my own point of view.TBH I am sure there are many exceptions to the rules and I also think society as a whole has changed which impacts all religions and communities.

Why should there be any difference at all? What a strange idea.

I expect there is the same spread of understanding, misunderstanding, prejudice and insight as there is in the rest of the population.

K x

Why should there be any difference at all? What a strange idea.

I expect there is the same spread of understanding, misunderstanding, prejudice and insight as there is in the rest of the population.

K x

as above. I'm jewish, but not as described in the OP :rolleyes:

I they had asked about Asian people (who also have high expectations of ther children when compared as a sub-group of the British population as a whole) would this question even have been allowedon the forum?

why should jewish people be any different oother people in they way they react to ASDs?

as above. I'm jewish, but not as described in the OP :rolleyes:

I they had asked about Asian people (who also have high expectations of ther children when compared as a sub-group of the British population as a whole) would this question even have been allowedon the forum?

why should jewish people be any different oother people in they way they react to ASDs?

I can't see what the problem is, even if we were talking about Asians. It's a sad day when we can't have a serious, intelligent discussion without being afraid of being politically incorrect.

I was a nurse for a number of years and generally speaking the ethnic groups had a greater sense of "family responsibility" than the British who were more than likely to put there loved ones in a home if they needed care. That is a generalisation and I am not saying that all Brits want to dump their grannies ASAP, but hopefully you can see what I mean !

My sister was married to a Jewish guy for a number of years and another thing she observed was," that they looked after their own" and they did it well.

Most parents regardless of ethnicity / religion might be initially shocked that their child is diagnosed with an ASD,but knuckle under when that shock wheres off. After all it's their child.

We are christians and are active in a local church.

I would guess that to generalise about Jewish people is similar to attempting to generalise about christians.

For the record some are very aware,supportive and positive.Others have very little knowledge and can be extremely unhelpful....as in all areas of life experience in my opinion. :P

Karen.