Sign in to follow this  
Goldenben

Hello people i'm Ben 23 with aspergers

Hello, i'm new here, I'm ben and from Birmingham. I have mild aspergers and was diagnosed at 13.

Before i was diagnosed my behaviour was pretty bad so i guess being here now at 23 i can see a big improvement to before but i still have my very rough days. I'm an incredibly honest, kind and loyal person, i just can't explain though, sometimes i feel like i'm just not here and i'm just looking to try and fill in those pieces to live as normal a life as possible. I'm looking for a new job at the moment which i hope i can hold down for the long term. I actually used to have a fairly deasent circle of friends but i had a severe bout of depression when i was 18 which lasted a few years on and off and lost most of my social life ever since.. now and then i'll make one friend, or maybe a small group, but i always lose touch usually.

I live quite an isolated life, and have done since i was around 18 but i'm an up and coming lyric writer and i did well in the uk songwriting contest and this is my salvation every day and gave me some confidence in something for the first time in my life, it gets me through feeling alone, because i write about it now instead of keeping it inside. I've also found alot of people with aspergers who write or are into arts in general, so in this way i feel blessed.

Anyway i didn't wanna go on too much, didn't really know the best way to introduce myself but i'm absolutely looking for friendships with people who can understand where i'm coming from and a possible relationship if i can find the right person.

Edited by Goldenben

hi

i am charlotte

i was diagnosed with aspergers at 25 and was also a little terror as a child. i am now studying a post graduate course at essex university to become a speech and language therapist. this is in colchester and i have just finished my first year of the two year course. I come from east sussex St leonards originally and do not plan to stay in the essex area when i graduate though i am not exactly sure where i will live a present (just that i want to go back nearer home and people i know). o enjoy swimming, crafts, music, reading, my studies and animals.

Hello, i'm new here, I'm ben and from Birmingham. I have mild aspergers and was diagnosed at 13.

Before i was diagnosed my behaviour was pretty bad so i guess being here now at 23 i can see a big improvement to before but i still have my very rough days. I'm an incredibly honest, kind and loyal person, i just can't explain though, sometimes i feel like i'm just not here and i'm just looking to try and fill in those pieces to live as normal a life as possible. I'm looking for a new job at the moment which i hope i can hold down for the long term. I actually used to have a fairly deasent circle of friends but i had a severe bout of depression when i was 18 which lasted a few years on and off and lost most of my social life ever since.. now and then i'll make one friend, or maybe a small group, but i always lose touch usually.

I live quite an isolated life, and have done since i was around 18 but i'm an up and coming lyric writer and i did well in the uk songwriting contest and this is my salvation every day and gave me some confidence in something for the first time in my life, it gets me through feeling alone, because i write about it now instead of keeping it inside. I've also found alot of people with aspergers who write or are into arts in general, so in this way i feel blessed.

Anyway i didn't wanna go on too much, didn't really know the best way to introduce myself but i'm absolutely looking for friendships with people who can understand where i'm coming from and a possible relationship if i can find the right person.

Hi charlotte, thanks for the reply and nice to meet you!

Fair play to you with doing your post graduate course! To be honest university doesn't really appeal to me, i can never stay concentrated on doing something for too long, funnily enough music is the only thing i've ever stuck with in life so i am considering studying music if i can find the right course in the future to try and get a diploma doing what i love. Nice interests too, mine are pretty similiar. What music are you into? And you got any pets? I must admit i'm not much a reader of books as i'm always writing and reading my own stuff :)

Edited by Goldenben

Hi again, i've got a dog and a cat, both adoreable. Yeh i don't like country music much either.. the only rap i like is tupac :)

Hi Ben, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with AS aged 25, I am 29 now.

It's really good you've found a way to express yourself through writing. I'm not really much of a writer myself, but I wish I could because it's a very good way to get things out!

Hello, nice to meet you.

Yeh to tell you the truth without my writing i would be so lost, it's a great release to get it down on paper, even better when you can make a half deasent song or poem with how you feel too. I guess music is my obsession :) How have you found life since your diagnosis?

Hiya Ben

I'm a qualified social worker, let registration lapse as I have the 2 little uns now. Did that for 11 years mainly working with the elderly and alcohol misusers.

I'm also into the arts and have a pretty successful arty hobby although my OH calls it an obsession, keeps me happy eh!

Yes I believe the arts and sciences is a popular choice for those with AS.

I've got the concentration span of a gnat too but if you do find a course that interests you then go for it. With the social work course we studied lots of things like sociology, psychology and law so it wasnt just one subject so I relate to what you've said about things holding your interest, have a look at courses offering a variety of subjects :)

Hello again, i have alot of respect for social workers to be honest, they're the people who try to make a difference so i have alot of respect for them. And yeah 75 % of everybody that i've spoken to so far is either into music or art or something closely linked to the 2.

Fair play if you can make anything you love a success and keep going with it! I plan to do the same with my hobby and would love to make something from it too.. i actually feel more interested now in maybe speaking about aspergers or trying to help others because it would make me feel like a better person and i'm actually helping people and know what they go through and vice versa, so i'm deffo gonna consider something like that.

And yeh anything that's not music i give up easier than anything so music is deffo where i want to be no doubt about that, i did actually study music in college and did sound engineering and i was getting 90 % on my written coursework, unfortunately i fell behind on the production side and didn't finish it.. right now can't see a course that will really benefit me as yet though as i like the writing side and most courses are to do with music production even though this could be a good idea who knows..

Edited by Goldenben

Hello

i am 25 Woman with Aspergers. My passion is animals. i breed dogs. I own 6 dogs and a cat.I love music and tried varies insruments as a child but never could learn to read music so i didnt get very far.

I like may kinds of music but not hard rock with swear words in etc.

Hello to you! Wow breed animals? That's super... that's something i've wanted to do forever literally... what dogs do you breed? And 6 dogs is alot but cool, dogs are cats are my passion. And sometimes just listening to music is enough, without it i'd be lost i know that. Nice to meet you

Edited by Goldenben

Hi Goldenben

Welcome to the forum, they will make you welcome here. My son who is 7 has got Aspergers syndrome, It is good to be able to write what you think on paper, and best of luck with the music. I like all sorts of music, from Abba or Enya to Beyonce...I do not have any animals, i would love to get a dog as they are so loyal and love unconditionally, something which i feel is missing a bit in our society. Sorry to hear about your depression, I was depressed for two years due to my son having problems at school and a lack of friends.I sometimes think I have aspergers, sometimes i cant get the subtleties of issues.

Good to meet you.

Jax