Sign in to follow this  
sel

Seeing SEN record on mon!!

Hi,

I am going in to see my son's SEN record on monday,

can anyone tell me what to look out for and what questions to ask?.

Thanks

Sel.

Sel,

I suggest that you take as much time as possible to look through your son's SEN file, do not let the staff pressurise you into skimming through this documentation.

If it were my son, then my personal viewpoint on this is, that I wouldn't want a member of staff present with me whilst I looked through my son's file, I would want to do this in private. If I found any information that I thought was alarming/worrying, or, if I found any information that I hadn?t previously been given, then I would ask the administrative staff to photocopy this information, so that I would be able to take it home with me. I wouldn?t ask any questions at that point in time - I would have to study my son's SEN information before possibly asking any questions.

Sometimes a parent cannot view certain pieces of information, this is explained within the links below:

http://www.bullying.co.uk/parents/pupil_records.htm

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/c...rds/index.shtml

Sel

I have just picked up my sons file from the LEA - I am very troubled - there seems to be a lot of documents referred to that are not on file and also manuscript notes on papers after the event.

I have also seen snide little comments on internal emails and ohone messages.

Be prepared is all I can say!

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi all,

I am really quite worried about seeing his record now!. I am pretty emotional at the mo, I don't want to find out loads that i didn't know and end up bawling or shouting at anyone!!. :tearful:

The other thing is they have been a bit crafty,

what has happened the head had obviously got my letter requesting to see his SEN,

then because the request for more SSA has been turned down she has decided that well will meet and chat about that at the same time!.

So at this meeting there will be SENCO, His literacy teacher, his SSA, HT, hubby and little ole me!. :unsure:

The meeting is going to take place before school, at 8:30 so really we are not going to get alot of time!. I think its been done on purpose!, :o

What do i do?. Can i ask to go somewhere private after the meeting to look over this and perhaps make another appointment to talk through the SEN later?. I just think its all too much to be done in less than half an hour !. :blink:

Thanks

Sel

In that case just suggest that you copy the file - as there is so little time to take it in

(often works best if you smile and take on a rather stupid expression - often the staff assume that you are not able to understand the contents and let you copy away)

Hi Sel,

You will not find out anything that you didn't already know about your child.

But I think you need to look at the contents in peace and quiet to be able to absorb what the documents contain - and you will need to look at them a few times for things to sink in.

I have looked at my sons file and can see that documents are being referred to that are not in the file and also the thread of documents is broken!!!

I can not say much more than that at this time.

I can only stress - you need to be able to look at them without pressure and emotion! The emotion is there on the first read - the second read makes you go "hmmmmmn" and then on the third or fourth read - you may see something of use!

Best wishes

HelenL