lisa2701

Gastro-intestinal problems with people with ASD?

hi everyone,

Ok so i have a 6 year old with classic autism. As a toddler he was often sick, sometimes daily, but this was usually when he was uspet so i never thought anything of it. He did have really bad colic as a baby.

Anyway, the last 3 - 4 months now he has had repeated problems with severe stomach cramps and vomiting for no reason. i have had nights with him where he has been sick every 20 minutes the entire night but seemed fine otherwise, i.e. no temperature or obvious illness, we have had nights where he has only been sick once etc. Today he has brought up both his breakfast and lunch but seems fine other wise. Straight after being sick he is straight back to what he was doing before and it seems to come on fairly suddenly, he isn't lying around complaining of feeling sick, he just seems to be fine one minute and vomiting the next.

Before anyone asks why he hasn't been seen at a doctor i did have him an appointment before but unfortunately we were unable to make it. So i am now waiting on the doctor calling me back right now.

i have read that gastrointestinal problems is very common in people with ASD, wonder if anyone could shed some light on things for me?

Thanks

Lisa x

Eats half his dinner, runs to the toilet and throws it up, then comes back for the other half? Yup - been there, done that :) Always used to put my sisters off their dinner..lol

I'm 37, I'm an Asperger, and I started doing that before I remember - need family members to remind me. Now I'm 5' 11", 180lbs, and the main reason I don't throw up is I love me grub too much to part with it :)

So don't worry unless his weight gets low - then talk to a GP. Otherwise, get used to it, or he'll ruin your appetite and you'll end up malnourished. Welcome to the wierd and wonderful world of wautism :D

Sorry if I don't sound serious. That's my point - don't take this serious. Works out ok in the end. Although if he has sisters, they'll hate him forever :)

Hi Lisa. As a newborn I had a complication with my gastrointestinal tract which caused projectile vomiting. The condition is known as pyloric stenosis. An operation was needed to relieve the blockage created by the thickening of the pylorus "gate" muscle. Don't worry though, it's highly unlikely that this condition is directly related to your child, however, it looks like the vomiting in both cases is down to some malfunction in the stomach. I wonder if the way in-which the malfunction is produced is in someway relevant to both cases?

The pylorus receives sympathetic innervation from celiac ganglion. The celiac ganglion are two big nerves located in the abdomen, and they overlook and communicate information about the digestive system. The celiac ganglion are located in the solar plexus. A ganglion is basically a knot of nerve endings. We're all familiar with the feeling of having a "knot in our stomach" when we are nervous, or anxious. Below, I've included some extracts from an article on the location of the solar plexus which I found interesting:

"In the human body, a complex collection of nerves of the nervous system in one specific location is known as a plexus. And this is exactly what the solar plexus really is. It is a location where a number of nerve endings meet, and this increases the sensitivity and the functionality of this specific region. The general location of the solar plexus in a human being is in the back of the stomach, or the upper abdomen, and it is also referred to as the celiac plexus by doctors and medical experts...

The exact location of the solar plexus can only be displayed visually and physically, but you can get a general idea. The area that is above your stomach, and just below your chest is your solar plexus. You can try applying a little pressure in the straight line that runs down your chest, and move down slowly. Just before you reach the stomach you will find a spot that is more sensitive than others, and this is your solar plexus. To get an idea you can apply a bit more force to the area right under the spot where your ribs end, but do not apply too much force.

In Hindu mythology and in the Sanskrit language, Chakra represents a wheel of energy. This information was used for medicinal purposes in ancient times, and there are apparently 7 such Chakras in the body. The Solar Plexus Chakra is known as the Manipura or the Manipuraka, and it is associated with the digestive and metabolic processes of the human body due to the Solar Plexus location. The symbol of this Chakra is a downward pointing triangle enclosed in a circle, and bordered by 10 flower petals. Even Tibetan Buddhism propagates the concept of these Chakras, and they have a symbol for the Solar Plexus Chakra as well. This Chakra is also said to correspond with feelings of fear, anxiety, introversion, personal power, opinion-formation and spiritual growth.

With so much known about the solar plexus location, there is still a lot of mysticism and spirituality associated with this part of the human anatomy. Its vulnerability to physical blows is well known, but its real significance runs much deeper than that."

I wonder, is your child's vomiting related to their anxious state?

I realise that this is probably a bit of a bloated reply to what you were asking for, but I found it a little difficult to hold back. I personally, am intrigued by the solar plexus/gastrointestinal tract, and its relevance to the autistic spectrum. I think this area could hold keys to answers which can help dispel some of the mystery surrounding autism.

Edited by munty13

hi everyone,

Ok so i have a 6 year old with classic autism. As a toddler he was often sick, sometimes daily, but this was usually when he was uspet so i never thought anything of it. He did have really bad colic as a baby.

Anyway, the last 3 - 4 months now he has had repeated problems with severe stomach cramps and vomiting for no reason. i have had nights with him where he has been sick every 20 minutes the entire night but seemed fine otherwise, i.e. no temperature or obvious illness, we have had nights where he has only been sick once etc. Today he has brought up both his breakfast and lunch but seems fine other wise. Straight after being sick he is straight back to what he was doing before and it seems to come on fairly suddenly, he isn't lying around complaining of feeling sick, he just seems to be fine one minute and vomiting the next.

Before anyone asks why he hasn't been seen at a doctor i did have him an appointment before but unfortunately we were unable to make it. So i am now waiting on the doctor calling me back right now.

i have read that gastrointestinal problems is very common in people with ASD, wonder if anyone could shed some light on things for me?

Thanks

Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

Have you looked into the Sunderland Protocol (devised by Paul Shattock, Sunderland University), which gradually cuts out gluten and dairy from his diet? I've never had these problems with either myself or my son, but I know there are quite a lot of people on here who have had great results with a GF/DF diet, both for bowel/vomitting problems and also behavioural challenges.

If you search in the diet/medicine section there are loads of threads and links. http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/23230-sunderland-research-unit/

Good luck,

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Thanks everyone, I hope we can get to the bottom of this very soon, we've had a good day today, no sickness. The doctor i spoke to yesterday thinks that my son is suffering from bad reflux and possible IBS. They have given him gaviscone to help with the reflux but they don't want to treat him for IBS as they feel he is too young and I have an appointment to see my own doctor next week to look into things further. Only thing I will say is I suffer from IBS and its really painful so I am unsure if not treating IBS (if that's what it is) is the way to go. Maybe a diet change could help that so we could avoid medication, not sure. This is all very new territory to me.

Is there tests etc that the doctors can do to test for intolerances to certain foods etc? How are they done, i.e. bloods, urine etc?

Bid - thanks for that i will looking into it, thanks

x

Edited by lisa2701

Hi Lisa , this frequently happens to my son too ( he is now 23) .I was also told after a referal to the local hospital ( around 8 years ago) that it was acid reflux and IBS . A bit weird in my opinion to diagnose this as my son wouldnt tolerate any invasive treatment ( blood tests). So there you have it . I find he is less vomity if he has more dry food and also if he drinks inbetween neals rather than drinks with meals . The fluid with meals seems to make vomiting occcur more often ( possibly because he is already full) .

my 15 year old has had similar problems for months. GP says she thinks it is anxiety related and gave her domperidone which haven't helped. She has now referred her back to cahms as she is advising melatonin to help with her sleep issues, idea being that if she can sleep better then she will feel less anxious which could then help her gastric problems.My daughter says she has no pain or even queasiness but is just sick and sometimes there is blood in it....GP puts that down to retching. It happens pretty much every day but is usually small amounts.

Hi Lisa , this frequently happens to my son too ( he is now 23) .I was also told after a referal to the local hospital ( around 8 years ago) that it was acid reflux and IBS . A bit weird in my opinion to diagnose this as my son wouldnt tolerate any invasive treatment ( blood tests). So there you have it . I find he is less vomity if he has more dry food and also if he drinks inbetween neals rather than drinks with meals . The fluid with meals seems to make vomiting occcur more often ( possibly because he is already full) .

Thanks for your reply. I agree that diagnosing reflux and IBS is strange, in my sons case he wasn't even able to describe the feelings he got before, during or after he was sick. He is verbal but he really struggled to understand what the doctor was asking.

my 15 year old has had similar problems for months. GP says she thinks it is anxiety related and gave her domperidone which haven't helped. She has now referred her back to cahms as she is advising melatonin to help with her sleep issues, idea being that if she can sleep better then she will feel less anxious which could then help her gastric problems.My daughter says she has no pain or even queasiness but is just sick and sometimes there is blood in it....GP puts that down to retching. It happens pretty much every day but is usually small amounts.

I hope that melatonin helps with things. My son is on Melatonin and it does help him sleep.

I have been back to the doctors and she has referred us to the hospital to have him seen by paediatrics. In the mean time she has prescribes domperidone to try to help.

lisa x

hi, my son had severe reflux as a baby and bad stomach cramps/diarreaoh, vomiting (sometimes bleeding) when he is highly anxious. He is dyslexic and just diagnosed at 9 with HFA. I know several kids who are dyslexic who had bad reflux as babies - is it just a coincidence?