JeanneA

Glen - update

Hi folks, just a quick update on Glen, unfortunately Glen has become anxious and aggressive again these past couple of weeks after doing so well previously. The psychiatrist has had to increase his risperidone again and also prescribed lorazepam to hopefully lesson his anxiety. Glen's assessment is coming to an end only 2 weeks to go so I'm very concerned now. There are talks of trying to extend it by a few weeks as they feel that there is still a lot to do. So I await to hear what will happen. Tomorrow my husband and I are travelling up North and will be spending the day with Glen on Saturday.

Hope the visit goes well for you guys xxx.........its been a long haul for you all hope you can get something sorted for him suzexx

good luck with finding some answers to help your son.

I've arrived home feeling very sad. Glen has really withdrawn into himself again just like he had before at home before the assessment started back in December. He seemed pleased to see me but was laying under the ball blanket most of the time we were there. However in the afternoon they did suggest going out for a ride in the mini bus which Glen agreed to. He was fine on the ride but as soon as we returned he pointed to the sofa and wanted to lay under the blanket again. Since they increased his medication he is much calmer and only hit himself twice whilst we were there. Glen is now not doing any of the therapies/activities that he was previously doing, they are going to see what happens this week. My husband and I go back on Wednesday ready for what should be the discharge meeting on Thursday. However the assessment may be increased as yet so we will find out this week.

I do feel though that looking at Glen I think he wants to be back home, that's just how I felt whilst there with him. It seems to me that wherever Glen is he reacts as he has done (aggressively), possibly to get out of what is asked of him, as this has been mentioned in the past. I do feel though that Glen just couldn't cope in the end with what was expected of him. He started off so well, he was really doing well at various therapies and activities but they may have pushed him too far hence how he has reacted of late.

Glen has been thoroughly examined there is nothing wrong with him health, he just seems to me very depressed and he isn't eating much at all.

Hi oxgirl, well I just don't know if they can really help or not that's why I'm not sure now if I want the assessment extended or not. I know I have to do the right thing by Glen, it's just not an easy decision to make.

I guess, after having come so far with the assessment, waited so long for it and gone through with so many weeks up until now, it could be worth doing a few more weeks to see it through. What will happen when he comes home, will he go back to the same school?

~ Mel ~

I don't know as yet what will happen when Glen does come home. I have a Annual Review at the School on March the 2nd where this will be discussed. I also have someone coming to the house to see me on March the 9th to see where we go next. I don't really think going back to the same School is a good idea, it has never been a very successful place where Glen has been concerned over the years. I am not sure if they could cater for his needs now either.

So sorry to hear things haven't worked out as you hoped Jeanne >:D<<'>

Have you thought about a very small supported living environment for Glen? Some of the young pople I work with go onto places like this when they leave us. Some are a house with just a very few residents and support staff.

Very best,

Bid >:D<<'>

Sorry to hear this Jeanne, it must be a worrying time for you. I hope you and everyone involved with Glen find a way forward in the next two weeks.

>:D<<'>

K x

Hi Bid yes that sounds ideal for Glen I'm not sure how I would go about finding out where these types of places are if you can advise me then I would appreciate it :)

Hi Bid yes that sounds ideal for Glen I'm not sure how I would go about finding out where these types of places are if you can advise me then I would appreciate it :)

I would ask SS, but I would also search myself...the NAS might be a good starting point. Also, ask at his current placement, because they will have a good idea of what would suit him, plus I would think they will have some places they are familiar with.

Also, some housing associations have supported living accomodation, so that might be another source.

Unfortunately I think you will probabaly have to find the right place yourselves, then approach SS over funding.

Bid

Edited by bid

Hi, just got back from Northumberland, the meeting went well. They've asked that Glen has another 6 weeks there. This end however will only fund 3 weeks initially but hopefully will fund all the 6 weeks in the end! They are going to try Glen on some new medication for his depression and will need time to see if this will help him. If Glen is there 6 weeks he should come home for a weekend halfway through. I think it is in Glen's interests to stay there for now and hopefully he will start to improve again. I saw him today and he still looks much the same as he did on Saturday, it is sad to see and it's not easy to leave him but I do feel it is for the best.

Hi Jeanne -

very difficult for you to know what's for the best, I'm sure, but another six weeks to find out does seem a good idea. Glen's 'regression' may well be a blip - it's hard to know if you can't find the trigger - but if he's less aggressive and feeling 'blue', that is an improvement over aggressive and blue, iyswim, however upseting the 'blue' is. :(

Really hope the next six weeks (I'm sure they will fund - they're probably just hedging their bets) brings some long-term objectives and solutions.

L&P

BD

It's good to hear that they're committed to working wth Glen for longer. I hope you and they can get to the bottom of what's causing him stress.

Wishing you all well for the next few weeks,

>:D<<'>

K x

Thanks for your welcome comments. They are a fantastic team up there so it does seem to be in Glen's best interests to stay there for the extra time. It is also good that they have now seen Glen as I have seen him at home, when he suddenly turns aggressive and refuses to do anything etc. I just hope the medication and their expertise will help.

Glen has continued to deteriorate at Prudhoe. He is continuing to be aggressive and is also now refusing to go to the toilet and wetting himself, I haven't had that in a while. It seems he is going from bad to worse, I'm really worried especially as he has only 2 weeks left there :(

Hi Jeanne sorry to hear that it sounds as if they havent got the medication right yet? My son has done this too, refusing to go to the toilet and wetting and soiling himself. This went on for months and just when id lost all hope and bought adult nappies he stopped. At the time it felt like he was being 'defiant'. Do you think Glen might be trying to say hes had enough of being there?

HI Lisa, yes I do think thats what Glen is trying to say that he wants to come home. It's not good to hear about the wetting etc, I didn't think that would reappear, I've had enough of that in the past and did hope I wouldn't have to go through that again! He is due home in 2 weeks as far as I know and I think that will be the best thing now, although I am concerned about how I will cope when he is back.

Jeanne have they given you any idea why he is doing it ? After all they are the experts and you didnt expect him to come home worse than what he went in ,x

Yes I totally agree they are the experts, they just don't know themselves. Glen changed very suddenly about 4 weeks ago, which is what has been happening in the past, he seems to go through cycles of behaviour. I think Glen is homesick though, but on the other hand I am worried about how I will cope when he does come home if his behaviour carries on as it is now :(

I heard late yesterday that a further 1 week extension has been granted for Glen's assessment so he won't be coming home next Friday 25th as we thought, but the following week 1st April. However, the hospital still wants the 3 week extension so are going to have another try and persuading our local county council to granted the other 2 weeks so I will keep you posted!