13 members have voted

1. 1. What age group do you fall in?

• 0-15 yrs old
    • 16-30
    • 31-45
    • 46-60
    • 61-75
    • 76-90
  2. 2. Which of the following groups do you fall in (select multiple choices if you wish)?

• Aspie
    • Higher-functioning Aspie
    • You are on the Autistic Spectrum
    • You have depression
    • You have anxiety issues
    • You are a paid carer
    • You are an un-paid carer
    • You are the parent or legal guardian of someone with problems related to ASDs
    • You are a social care/mental health/medical/psychological service provider
    • You do work for a not-for-profit organisation linked to ASDs
    • That's enough choices (sorry)

:) Hello everyone who reads this.

I am pretty much new to the whole ASD universe; I'm pretty much new to this site; very recently positively diagnosed with HFA; I overall have very little knowledge about the ASD universe in our society; I have not conversed with anyone really in the know about ASD support.

Firstly I should say I'd love to make friends, network, become aquainted with, chat with, help, and be helped by anyone using this forum.

My name is Joe, I'm 22 and a half yrs old, I live in the lovely little town of Petersfield in mid East-Hampshire GU32. I would love to spend time chatting and posting things on this forum. I'd love to actually one-day soon meet-up with anyone who has Asperger's syndrome, with the aim of having rewarding and mutually beneficial relations. I'd especially like to become acquainted with any young (I mean up to late 30s)person who uses this site. Above all I really want to meet Girls, I think I have good prospects and people who share my immediate interests, one being sustainability. Please check my profile anyone, my facebook profile link is in there, and loads about me and my interests.

I've found out tonight that in my immediate locality there is the Petersfield Area Autistic Society (no website), East Hampshire NAS branch (no web presence), Alton NAS branch (I've become a Facebook group member), Portsmouth NAS branch, South Hampshire NAS branch and the NAS Hampshire Autistic Society. I've become aware of what these people provide in the way of events for adults with ASDs, I need to contact them though. But I also need to ask if anyone can help me in finding out about social events of any type with adults with ASDs in Hampshire, West Sussex and Surrey. NAS branches mostly seem to cater for carers and little for adults with ASDs who want to physically meet others in whatever way.

Below is some background about me.

I live alone in a Housing Association flat, I have a very short C.V. (curriculum vitae). I have only two friends I consistently see regularly, I have an STR (support time recovery) worker and a CPN, I have a brilliant medically minded Mum, and see many nice and generally supportive people. My Christian friend, who doesn't believe I have HFA, is the only person I find I have real disagreeable situations with.

I've developed a High functioning appearance, but suffer with a neurotic type mental affliction (depressive low neurochemistry type thing), Generalised Anxiety, and generally low activity. I am however most definitely recovering from the mental affliction I've been going through, which has been acute for the last 7 years. The recovery I'm experiencing cannot be put down to anything whatsoever, apart from neuroscience. I am treatment resistant, I'm resistant to the potential therapeutic and curative benefit of psychiatric medication.

I'm single unfortunately, smoke very diet roll-up cigarettes, am 12 stone, can eat extremely healthily ie. sprouted legumes, sprouted seeds alflafa, blue gree algae, non-acidifying fruit, seeds, nettle tea and many others, miso, supplements, quinoa, millet, oats, avocado etc.................................. I go to a social drop-in group for people with mental health problems in my town, I play badminton at the Mind Badminton group in Havant (south of Petersfield). I see a variety of people briefly and each person with a very low frequency. I'm actually far more interesting than I'm portaying.

Sorry, the above is a bit tedius and trivial/ boring.

So again "really I would love to spend time chatting and posting things on this forum. I'd love to actually one-day soon meet-up with anyone who has Asperger's syndrome, with the aim of having really rewarding and mutually beneficial relations. I'd especially like to become acquainted with any young (I mean up to late 30s)person who uses this site. Above all I really want to meet Girls, I think I have good prospects. Please check my profile anyone, my facebook profile link is in there, and loads about me."

Thanx for making it to the end here and thank you in advance to anyone considering replying to me.

Edited by eco88 or joe

Hi Joe :)

I'm fairly new to the site myself. I was diagnosed with Asperger's last month.

I'm 30 and live with my husband, 3 year old daughter (who I suspect has AS), 1 year old son and 2 cats in a perpetual building site in Lancashire. Although we have a plasterer in today to finish the room which will be very clearly labelled as 'Mummy's Room' with a door which noone else is allowed to open - bliss :)

I'm currently training to be a teacher and :wallbash: with some of the egos of the staff. I am even more determined to get past their discrimination of myself and the ASD/ADHD kids in school and try to make life better for kids with PDDs. In the very long term I would love to be involved in schools for kids with ASDs and associated conditions set up and run by adults with ASDs either personally or in their families who really understand all the implications. But that's a long way off yet!

Hi Joe -

I think the local NAS groups sound like a good idea for a starting point for you. The groups themselves may not offer quite what you're looking for, but they will probably have details of any 'clubs' or anything like that in your area. Also worth dropping into (or phoning or asking someone to phone) CAMHS, and seeing what they've got pinned to the walls in their waiting room - I took my son yesterday to our local one and their were two new (to me) autism specific groups running (annoyingly, one for parents/carers and one for girls - but there was also an ad for a group my 22 year old nephew attends sometimes).

I don't know if it's still pinned there, or if it still operates, but there used to be a link in our 'resources' section for an autism specific social networking/dating forum that might be worth a look?

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD

Hi again - had a quick look and the link has gone, so did a quick google and found it used to be part of the AFF site, but the link there seems dead too.

AFF site is here, and while a site that suits some it's prob best to warn you that it's not always as user friendly as (i.e.) here... I base all that on reputation, though - I've never actually used AFF - so let me know if you do and it's 'rep' is undeserved!

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/showthread.php?tid=4397

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/index.php

I did find one other site through google linking to an 'ezine', but the site that linked to appeared to be a paying 'dating' site for disabled people generally rather than autism specific, which probably isn't a good way to go. Well worth spending half hour googling, though - there must be more out there!

Edited by baddad

Thank you so very much to you all^^^. Your posts are certainly more than I expected in a very good way.

RainbowsButterflies, thank you. I think your idea of having your own room, which is specifically your territory, is a brilliant especially for a Mum with young kids who has Asperger's, and I think in general for any Adult with Asperger's. I also think what you said here below is absolutely brilliant in many ways.

[quote

I'm currently training to be a teacher and with some of the egos of the staff. I am even more determined to get past their discrimination of myself and the ASD/ADHD kids in school and try to make life better for kids with PDDs. In the very long term I would love to be involved in schools for kids with ASDs and associated conditions set up and run by adults with ASDs either personally or in their families who really understand all the implications. But that's a long way off yet!

You should be commended for persevering and for your ambition to help ASD/AHD kids where you are now, and special schools with these kids. You will be an enormous asset, you will be able to do an excellent job at this, you have more potential capability for helping these kids, than any Neuro-typical person does. I could go on about this. Please can you tell us all about your experience with this, I think it's very relevant, very interesting to us, and very significant for society as a whole.

Hi Smiley1590, thanx for your post. It sounds like we are relatively very similar. I've only just discovered what Dyspraxia means, and I think I may very well have it, thanx for reminding me about this, while I'm typing right now. I'd really like to chat with and hear more about you and your life, I'm sure we can relate in many many ways, and find talking really quite stimulating. I'm getting nervous stupidly right now, as I'm addressing a young girl my age, who I probably will find particularly appealing. Sorry for that piece of info, maybe people can relate to that.

Hi Baddad, thank you for your post. I will do exactly what you say asap, I don't think I would've realised anytime soon that doing what you siad with my local CAMHS is a brilliant idea, so thank you very much. I'm sorry I don't know what the two acronyms you used in the middle of your post mean, and I also don't know what Smiley1590 xklx means. I've been briefly reading just now about Internet acronyms,http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=A but havent learnt much at all.

Baddad I'm sorry if I had more time now I would look into those sites you linked, thank you very much of course though.

Hi Kazzen161, thank you! I will look at Surrey's NAS branch website. This makes me think I should also look at the Hart and Rushmoor NAS branch website.

I hope to hear from you all or others soon, and I should write more now to get a better chance of this, but I need to go. I don't manage my time very well, which many of you can probably identify with. I will be posting most of my whole saga with services on here and hopefully much about what may interest people here about what I learn about my HFA self, and my interactions with society.

Thanks a million and take care everyone. All the best!!!!

Edited by eco88 or joe

I think the L&P BD on baddad's post is 'Love & Peace baddad' - he puts it at the bottom of every post he makes in any case (bd - please correct me if I'm wrong on the L&P).

Again, I think that Smiley1590's initial's are KL and whereas I might sign my post K x (because my name begins with K) she signs it xKLx

That's my interpretation anyway....

K x

^^^Thanx guys. It's funny people/organisations are actually now trying to rein in the use of acronyms, the US military for one, which has hundreds and hundreds of acronyms.

Here are a couple signature sayings I'm going to trial. "Must try harder!" "Work hard. Play hard." "There's an infinite number of ways to think and look at anything"

Hi Joe

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy chatting with people on here.

Just one note of caution, you should perhaps be a little careful about giving so much specific personal information about yourself on the internet - such as specific places you go to combined with the fact you live on your own - stuff that could lead an unscrupulous person to try to take advantage of you. I would not be happy if my son was giving out this type of information, you can't be too careful.

We all give out some very personal and intimate information about ourselves/families, but as long as no-one knows where you live or 'hang out' it should not lead to any problems. I hope you understand my concern.

It sounds like you are doing extremely well considering the difficulties you have, you should be proud of yourself.

Hi Mandapanda,

Thank you very much for your post, I am now going to reduce the amount of personal info I have here, so thank you. It's a shame I have to though, and I've always felt I'd rather risk someone taking advantage of the details I disclose, so that it's easier for people to know things about me which may result in them taking interest.

Thank you for your compliment as well.

Cheers!

What's the distinction between Aspie and "higher-functioning Aspie"?

Asperger's Syndrome and High Functioning Autism. It was once thought that these were two different conditions but it is now generally accepted there is no real difference other than than the diagnostic history. Asperger's is being dropped as an official diagnoses, but I imagine the name will continue to be used.

Edited by chris54