Sign in to follow this  
justine1

school at last for Sam

Hi everyone

So its been nearly 4 mths since Sam has been out of school. I have looked at so many school's and felt none of them were right for him. They mentioned a mainstream school less than a mile from home but I did'nt want to see it because I thought it ill be just another mainstream,but because I ws still unhappy I decided to see the school.

It is lovely :thumbs: I took him with and he was loving it.The staff however are not that clued up on ASD,though there is one other boy with ASD in the school, which considering there are approx 200 kids in the school does'nt amount to much. However they are so willing to take him on and having read his exclusions they could already see ho they could have been avoided.

The other down side is that of transport,having walked there and back twice I know for sure he cannot do it.My catchment school is full plus his disability I am hoping they will provide transport.It seems silly to me as it is such a short distance so I wish he could just walk,but realistically I don't see this happening.

I am very nervous about him going to mainstream but at the same time I feel positive and quite happy about it.

Hi Justine.

I am really pleased that you've found a school you are happy with :thumbs:

Have you looked on the council website regarding transport - I found this on central bedfordshire's site (sorry, not sure if that's the right council :unsure: )

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi Justine.

I am really pleased that you've found a school you are happy with :thumbs:

Have you looked on the council website regarding transport - I found this on central bedfordshire's site (sorry, not sure if that's the right council :unsure: )

Nicky >:D<<'>

thanks Nicky >:D<<'> I am in Buckinghamshire now,hence why he has been out of school.There transport rules are the same though, I did contact my MP over the issue and the SEN team then responded to me saying they should be able to provide transport but until its in writing I am still panicking x

Does the mainstream school have the ASD unit, his statement illistrates a ASD Unit does it not?

JsMumx

No,the two units I saw were not great and there are no more.Its just a mainstream. His statement names his ASD unit where we lived before,but does'nt say that is what he has to have.He will get full time support including lunchtimes,the HT is also going to make special arrangements where he will eat etc. She was very good.

They are going to have regular reviews instead of waiting for the annual one,if there is any problem we will take it from there.I think none of us can keep waiting at 7 four mths is awfully long to be out of school.He likes it so thats what I settled for in the end.

Edited by justine1

Justine, how come he was given a statement that stated a ASD Unit though, I thought he had a lot of difficulties in a mainstream school?

JsMumx

They are going to have regular reviews instead of waiting for the annual one,if there is any problem we will take it from there.I think none of us can keep waiting at 7 four mths is awfully long to be out of school.He likes it so thats what I settled for in the end.

That's great, and so good to hear that he's happy with it. :thumbs: :thumbs: It's a good case to show that it's not so much about type of setting but the setting in general - you can get good and bad mainstream (obviously it's more complicated than that, but I think you know what I mean) and good and bad units. And what's good for one child may be bad for another. The differences may even seem insignificant, but tiny differences can make a massive difference to the overall feeling of a place and the way someone settles in to it.

I really hope it all goes well and continues to be as good as it sounds. Having that open dialogue from the beginning seems like a positive. Have you met Sam's new teacher yet?

I hope you can sort out the transport situation. If not, how about posting him to school? The post office may do a special rate on multiple parcels? :whistle: Or roller-skates - strap them on, give him a push in the right direction, and hope that someone's ready to catch him at the other end. :D

Thanks Js mum.Yes that is true hence the reason why I am so nervous about it.However,I really feel,as I said,after 4mths I have run out of time and options,I wish I could find something but I literally can't.I want to believe that this mainstream will be different,only time will tell.

He was excluded,some of them on good grounds,however after speaking to others I see now(and the school admitted)some were just to get him the help.That is how the system works where I was.They id it to others before him and a younger boy when Sam was going to leave.I don't see it as wrong,but I do feel he is less likely to get excluded this time around as he has his statement.

I am not sure how it will pan out,but Sam won't go to either units, one of which we went to see three times, he point blank refused. I would rather send him somewhere he wants to go.He knows full well if he does anything wrong he will have to go to the unit.

Edited by justine1

That's great, and so good to hear that he's happy with it. :thumbs: :thumbs: It's a good case to show that it's not so much about type of setting but the setting in general - you can get good and bad mainstream (obviously it's more complicated than that, but I think you know what I mean) and good and bad units. And what's good for one child may be bad for another. The differences may even seem insignificant, but tiny differences can make a massive difference to the overall feeling of a place and the way someone settles in to it.

I really hope it all goes well and continues to be as good as it sounds. Having that open dialogue from the beginning seems like a positive. Have you met Sam's new teacher yet?

I hope you can sort out the transport situation. If not, how about posting him to school? The post office may do a special rate on multiple parcels? :whistle: Or roller-skates - strap them on, give him a push in the right direction, and hope that someone's ready to catch him at the other end. :D

Thanks Mumble :thumbs:>:D<<'> Brilliant idea about the roller skates,I think you need to come babysit :shame::lol: No we have'nt met the teacher I just contacted SEN yesterday and let them we want him to go there.

As much as I hate to admit this,my ex suggested this school since before xmas wish I had just listened would have saved everyone alot of headaches!! Saying that if I had'nt seem all options it would'nt be able to make such a confident decision :) I think if it does'nt work out at least my ex will know he needs more help,though I am hoping it won't come to that. :pray:

I just wanted you to rewind a little bit and remember why Sam was given a statement in the first place and that the statement stipulated a ASD Unit, I am sorry if I sound negative but it just really worries me that he is going into a Mainstream and one that doesnt sound very clued up on ASD when his previous mainstream school he was excluded and when he was given a statement it did say specifically an ASD Unit. I understand your son has been out of education for many months but I would still ensure you have him in a setting that can actually meet his SEN needs, J had full time one to one too but mainstream just didnt meet his needs and he also ate away from the hall in the classroom with the infants, sadly for J it was the enviroment that he couldnt deal with, you say the school caters for 200 children so it is a lot smaller than Js Primary school but even 50 would be still too many for J now as he requires a very specific sensory enviroment.

I personally thought that when you transfer from one provision to another it had to be similair to the previous too, unless the statement is ammended, and now states Sam can attend a Primary school setting.

I do wish your sam the very best obvously but I am worrying here that Sam could well be looking at another school further down the line purely because it doesnt meet his SENs and another mainstream ASD Unit may be more reluctant to take sam if his behaviour spirals and the knowledge sam now has that if he makes any mistakes now in his new school he will end up in a unit will place extreamly high pressure when it will not be his fault but the fact is that a mainstream school just can not provide Sam the provisions he needs and could blame himself if this fails. if he is anything like my J, the pure fear of failing can be the very product of our childs behaviour in the first place.

JsMumx

Cautiously good news so far Justine - and I hope it works out after all the hassle you've had.

:thumbs:

Councils are cutting back on transport provision but if you can show that Sam cannot walk to school due to his disability they would have a statutory responsibility to provide it.

K x

Really glad to hear things are looking up.

I think if it's close enough to walk then really he should have 'Hobson's Choice', but appreciate that may be a battle you want to put on the back boiler for a while.

When the time come's, though, just change his name to 'Woodbine' and take him out for a drag! :whistle:

L&P

BD :D

Are they going to amend the Statement?

They would need to include all the hours and staffing arrangements they will need for him to access mainstream. And that may mean he needs access to a TA 1:1 so that if he isn't coping she can take him out the classroom for a walk, or to another 'designated area', where he can have some time out.

The placement would be changed.

If it all goes pearshaped you will have all the hastle of trying to get ASD dedicated environment back into the Statement.

I know you are just trying to do the best. And I hope it works. But you need the Statement to be specific so that he has more chance of succeeding in that environment.

The other alternative, if it says ASD unit, and they cannot provide that, is looking at the independent school sector and request that as your placement. The LEA would resist that obviously and it would involve a tribunal. Plus it would be difficult as the LEA have come up with a mainstream school that say they are prepared to do what it takes.

But you could resist that argument because currently the Statement says ASD unit. Once you let that go you no longer have that argument against mainstream.

Remember that if it fails you have to find a dedicated environment that can meet his needs and you have to get the Statement altered again and the LEA may resist that. Do any of the professionals that work with your son agree that he would cope in a mainstream environment. Usually it would require them to write a report and state that they no longer needed this provision or placement.

If the only suitable school does turn out to be independent, because nothing else is available, then you need to plan when would be the best time to seek such a placement. That maybe now - as there is nothing else available - or later.

If he has SALT, EP and/or OT input currently, have you written to them and told them of the suggested change of placement and ask them specifically if there are any additional provision they would recommend as it is a change of learning environment. For example if he was taught in small groups before, they may say he still needs that even within the mainstream environment. That would mean the school would have to remove him and work with him and maybe some other children with similar difficulties. Ask these types of questions specifically in your telephone conversations and letters ie. he was taught in a group of 7 children, now he will be moving to a classroom of xx children.

Have you tried letting him attend for a week before you make your final decision to see if both your son and school cope, and also for you to see if there are any changes in his behaviour at home?

Good luck with it all.

Edited by Sally44