Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

Cost of Petrol/Fuel

How are those with their own cars coping, Ive been driving a year and a year ago I was putting in £15 a week, Now its £25 a week, Ive decided now its spring not to use the car for local journeys, Im going to back on my BIKE, I love cycling anyway but Ive loved the warmths of the car in the winter months lately, Im going to be a bit unfit at first, been to gym on my bike today and it was ACE.

Anyway how much petrol/fuel do you get by in a week?

JsMumx

Don't get me started!!

Both DH and I have to use the car for work (he works during the day and I work nights). We never replaced my car that was written off before Christmas when I got into an argument with some black ice, as we decided we could no longer afford to run two cars.

We spend about £40-45 a week :crying: More if I've done the 50 mile round trip to spend the day with my elderly mum.

We've also had to say no to a couple of trips to stay with family down in Somerset as we simply couldn't afford the petrol.

Bid :(

Edited by bid

My fuel bill has gone from £40.00, to £50.00 pounds a week in the last yr...and don,t even talk about food prices :shame:

I'm not too badly done by because I don't use my car much anyway. As long as the weather is good I try to bike or walk, and will even jump on the bus occasionally if the weather's not good but I can't be ar*d to play musical cars with the limited parking space outside.

On the occasions I do use it, though, it's usually for a 'ish' run - nowt by any real standards but a couple of hours each way - and just topping up for those journeys has rocketed in recent weeks :(

It had to come, if you think about it (envronment, more traffic = more road repairs, oil prices/resources etc), but i don't think 'bigger cars use more fuel' is quite the same thing as 'proportional taxation'. Old bangers use a lot more fuel too, and they tend to be the kinds of cars that I can afford! There should be a much wider band of vehicle taxation brackets, and maybe premiums for street value too. Chelsea Tractors should be taxed to hell and back, but with real concessions for people who really need them. That's farmers - Not mum's doing the school runs, shoppers in Waitrose and Jeremy Clarkson). Schoolkids shouldn't have cars to drive to school, even if they are technically old enough, unless they live in really rural areas and a good distance from school. That won't cut fuel prices directly, but less queues in rush hour will mean less pollution and less fuel burnt 'idling' outside the local grammer.

Naaaaagggggggggggggggghhhhhh....

And as for food - I've had to cut back to 1 winebox per saturday night instead of 3! And I've had to put bread in the middle of my sausages to make ends meet [Tommy Trinder, 1937 Aye Thang yow].

I want one of these:

Or perhaps two - one for each foot!

:D

Edited by baddad

We don't use the car an awful lot either really as it's just the kids and I, hubby takes the tube to work. Ours is diesel and hubby did fill it up for me the other week and it took £69 (I usually just stick in £20/30 when we need it). When we got it two years ago it took about £45 to fill the tank! Our local station is charging £1.39 for diesel!

I'm not too badly done by because I don't use my car much anyway. As long as the weather is good I try to bike or walk, and will even jump on the bus occasionally if the weather's not good but I can't be ar*d to play musical cars with the limited parking space outside.

On the occasions I do use it, though, it's usually for a 'ish' run - nowt by any real standards but a couple of hours each way - and just topping up for those journeys has rocketed in recent weeks :(

It had to come, if you think about it (envronment, more traffic = more road repairs, oil prices/resources etc), but i don't think 'bigger cars use more fuel' is quite the same thing as 'proportional taxation'. Old bangers use a lot more fuel too, and they tend to be the kinds of cars that I can afford! There should be a much wider band of vehicle taxation brackets, and maybe premiums for street value too. Chelsea Tractors should be taxed to hell and back, but with real concessions for people who really need them. That's farmers - Not mum's doing the school runs, shoppers in Waitrose and Jeremy Clarkson). Schoolkids shouldn't have cars to drive to school, even if they are technically old enough, unless they live in really rural areas and a good distance from school. That won't cut fuel prices directly, but less queues in rush hour will mean less pollution and less fuel burnt 'idling' outside the local grammer.

Naaaaagggggggggggggggghhhhhh....

And as for food - I've had to cut back to 1 winebox per saturday night instead of 3! And I've had to put bread in the middle of my sausages to make ends meet [Tommy Trinder, 1937 Aye Thang yow].

I want one of these:

Or perhaps two - one for each foot!

:D

That video is well funny. lol,

I dont know if I would get one of those now adays traffic, its suicide as it is on the bike, one of those I would feel like I was a bettle and about to be stood on by a size 9 boot.

Brill vid, are you gonna get one then BD.

JsMumx

I recon I spend about £25 a week on petrol at the moment.

I try to use the car as little as possible, but when it cast £4.60 return on the but to go into our nearest town, (5 miles away) the car works out a lot cheaper.

Also its worth the coast of the petrol to make saving going to the big store once a week rather than the village shops and fill up with petrol at the same time saving even more and getting club points.

Most of our petrol goes on trips out at the weekends.

If the cost of petrol continues to rise, somethings got to give.

That video is well funny. lol,

I dont know if I would get one of those now adays traffic, its suicide as it is on the bike, one of those I would feel like I was a bettle and about to be stood on by a size 9 boot.

Brill vid, are you gonna get one then BD.

JsMumx

I've got two - one for each foot and I use 'em like rollerskates!

We're putting around £70-80 a week in our car. We only got it last year so it is pretty fuel efficient. My wife does a lot of driving for her job and we don't have a whole lot of money left after rent, bills and fuel.

ickle engined motorbike costs me... about 20 in fuel per week and 2.50 in oil [needs it to be mixed for engine]. But when i started riding aged 16 it was about 90 pence a litre i think. Now its nearly half on top again. All because government knows it can tax fuel very high and people will still pay to get it. Take away the fuel tax it would cost about... 30 something pence per litre? or less than that even

We spend about £65 a week on one car- and that's mostly my husband's journey to work and back: we don't do a lot of other driving. That's a huge chunk of our income and an expense we could well do without. No choice though. The cost of fuel has quadrupled since he started the job a long time ago.

K x

I can remember the fuss there was when petrol reached £1 a GALLON. That's about 22p a litre.

The cost of petrol was a long way down the list of things to worry about.

You could buy a round of drinks in the pub and have change out of a fiver.

And going to a self service supermarket was a novelty.

Edited by chris54