Sign in to follow this  
Tally

After a really awful night at work

. . . I've got an email offering me a job interview :thumbs:

I applied for a job as a cleaner/housekeeper at a house where families can stay whilst visiting a relative in a military hospital.

Yep :thumbs: - when's the interview? I'll do the 'everyhing crossed' thing

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

Interview is Thursday 7th April. I have to phone up tomorrow to confirm I will be attending, bit scary!

I'm a bit worried about what to say when they ask the inevitable question of why I want to leave my job after only 3 months.

The reasons are:

1. No training, completely lack confidence in knowing what on earth I am supposed to be doing.

2. Having to rush everything and leave it looking a right mess, so no job satisfaction for a person who likes to do a proper job.

3. Multiple issues with a colleague who I feel is bullying me.

Obviously I can't say these things in a job interview as they are really negative.

On the application form it asked why I wanted this job. I can't remember exactly what I said, but it was something really vague about how I returned to my current employer after 6 years in other jobs and I'm not enjoying it as it's not worked out how I expected, and I am looking for a job where I can work to high standards and get more job satisfaction. I said I was looking for a part time job that I can fit around my distance learning course, for the next 6-10 years, because I wanted them to understand why I was applying only for part time work and that I plan to stay in the job long term.

Tally, I wouldn't go into too much detail at the interview about why you want to leave your job. I'd just say something like, I've realized it's not right for me and I'm looking for something more satisfying and rewarding, or something like that. Try not to say anything too negative about the current people you're working for as I don't think that gives a good impression to new potential employees. Good luck. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

Had a bit of a chat with my mum today about it and she's given me some good ideas about it. Pretty much what you said Mel, but she also suggested I could say that working practices have changed a lot since I left the company 6 years ago, standards are much lower and we do not have the opportunity to do things as thoroughly as I am used to, and I am finding it frustrating to work to lower standards. I think that sounds fairly positive about me without being too critical about my current job.

She also said how my supermarket experience is relevant - not directly, but things like safety and hygiene standards. Also for about 18 months I worked on a hot chicken and deli counter where cleaning and hygiene was very important and I had to clean ovens, fridges and work surfaces to a high standard.

Does anyone know what this might mean from the job description:

"Empathetic approach to working with vulnerable families."

The job is mainly cleaning, but obviously I will come across the guests who are staying in the house if they are in while I am cleaning it. As far as I can tell I would also be answering the door to new guests, showing them their rooms and things. I don't imagine I would be having long, in-depth conversations with them though.

I think it just means being sensitive to how the families might be feeling during a difficult time and just being friendly and helpful to them and helping to make them feel at ease. You might not come across them very much during the work, but they don't want people scowling at them and being dour and unhelpful, they just want a friendly face, that's how I'd see it.

~ Mel ~

I think Mel is right...just being aware that these families will be visiting loved ones who will probably have come back from Afghanistan and be in a bad way. Just low-key pleasantness, offering cups of tea, extra blankets and so on. Also, I guess be prepared that they may be very upset and crying, so be ready to show them to a quiet place, etc.

Best of luck!

Bid :)

I think it also means not asking the families loads of questions (which might cause them upset).

I think thr "low key pleasantness" sums it up very nicely.

Good luck.

Work has been OK this week and I'm back to thinking that maybe it can work out after all. But I really don't think it will and I need to make myself find something else.

Last week the shouty woman was really on a roll. Last week she shouted horrifically racist vitriol for our entire 45 minute rest-break without stopping while the department manager pretended to be asleep. Not particularly restful! This week she was much better even than usual, but I know things will slip again and she won't stay this calm.

I was a bit worried about the empathy thing, but I think I could manage it. After all, people are not going to go to the cleaning lady with all their problems. The biggest part of supporting them as a cleaner would be making sure everything is done smoothly and efficiently so that they don't need to ask for anything. And hopefully there would be some kind of training in what I can do when they arrive, eg. if they walk in the door and burst into tears maybe I can show them straight to their bedrooms and offer a cup of tea before "signing them in," just change the order of things you are supposed to do if people need some space. They will have had a long journey because if you lived locally you wouldn't need somewhere to stay so they might want to go and sit in the garden or bounce on the trampoline . . . or maybe I shouldn't suggest a bounce on the trampoline :lol:

Anyway, yes, I think I can manage the empathy if I am confident in my job role.

Well I had my interview this morning. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 people, which is something I have never experienced before!

I feel it went well but not fantastic. I answered all their questions but I just don't feel I "sold" myself very well.

They gave me some scenarios and I think I answered those well. One of them was what would I do if a guest asked to speak to me privately in their room? I said I would not go into their room, I would ask if we could talk somewhere else.

Then the full time housekeeper showed me around the house and talked about what work she does and it's basically cleaning and changing sheets like what you'd do at home, just to a very high standard. There are 7 bedrooms, 2 lounges, a cinema room, and a huge kitchen with several fridges, ovens and dishwashers, so there's a fair amount to do!

The housekeeper and the managers I met today all seem like people I would like to work with and it seems like a job I'd really like to do and could do well, so I'm really hoping I get this job. They said they will probably let me know tomorrow.

Well done! Try not to worry, you probably came across better than you think.

Waiting is the hard part!

:pray::pray:

K x

Sounds good and I hope it works out well for you. :pray:

If you need practise, my bedding needs washing and ironing and I have an accumulation of dust on my surfaces... :whistle:

Edited by Mumble

Mel, how is your new job going?

It was terrible at first, bid, but I'm starting to enjoy it now, thanks for asking. :) I'm still quite stressed because I'm so worried about doing a good job and really beat myself up whenever I make a mistake, but it is nice to get out of the house and be an actual, real person at last. :thumbs:

Bit anxious about the hols next week, as Jay will have to be on his own until I get back about 1.30 p.m., but hope he'll be okay.

~ Mel ~

Glad it's going well for you now Mel. Employers should expect a new starter to make some mistakes - wouldn't you if you were an employer? Try not to beat yourself up too much! I'm sure Jay will be OK. At least you are home by the afternoon.

It was terrible at first, bid, but I'm starting to enjoy it now, thanks for asking. :) I'm still quite stressed because I'm so worried about doing a good job and really beat myself up whenever I make a mistake, but it is nice to get out of the house and be an actual, real person at last. :thumbs:

Bit anxious about the hols next week, as Jay will have to be on his own until I get back about 1.30 p.m., but hope he'll be okay.

~ Mel ~

Really glad to hear you are enjoying it now...it always takes some time to settle into a new job >:D<<'>

I'm sure J will be fine...if he's anything like my teenagers he probably won't have long got up by the time you get home :lol:

Bid :)