Sign in to follow this  
kazzdt

School Trip Dilemma

Hi guys,

I'd really like some of your opinions on this one. My Sam is due to be going on an end of school trip to Southend Adventureland (theme park) next month. My eldest son went last year, and I went along too, as a helper, its was a great trip but there was lots of opportunities for the kids to wonder off, and misbehave, if they so desire. Which brings me back to Sam. He is dead keen to go, but I'm in a dilemma as to whether I should go too. He is often better in these situations ,when I'm not around but I just don't know if I can trust anyone with him enough, not to go.

Any thoughts or experiences, please!

Kaz

Com loves school trips and I haven't been on one since he was 5. He's even been on week long residentials with hardly a hiccup.

It is hard to trust but if staff are willing to take him then they think they can manage - school staff are very wary of risk on trips these days and would definitely speak to you if they felt they needed help

talk to the teacher - are there any concerns? who will he be with? will one adult be responsible for him alone or as part of a group? does the teacher want you to go? if you go can you be with other children so that you can be called on if necessary but allow him to be independent? Can you sit well away from him on the bus?

make sure you explain any arrangements clearly so your son knows what is expected of him, any rules he needs to abide by, what to do if he gets lost/is finding something difficult and what your role is if you decide to go

if he is a child that wanders give him a bright coloured hat to wear, or a backpack so that he can be easily spotted, also suggest to the teacher that he wears a label with the name of the school (not his name) and the school phone number on (I always do this for all my class on a trip).

school trips are fantastic social opportunities and full of life skill learning - I love going on them but tend to help on trips with schools I've worked in rather than my own children's trips (much more relaxing!)

it's great for kids to go on trips - and you can help by preparing Sam for what he can expect to see and do. The school has a reponsibility to care for Sam during the trip, and this care extends to his special needs - you could ask the teachers what their arrangements will be.

My son went on a 2 night residential trip with school at age 10 - I was very worried, but the school (who aren't usually brilliant with him) were incredibly well organised and well-prepared. He's going on a London trip (overnight) in a couple of weeks - I am worried, but it is going to be such a great adventure, that I don't want him to miss out.

Hi Kazzdt,

I can only back up the comments from Elanor and Zemanski!

I had the same concerns because my son is going London for a couple of nights with the school. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to let him miss the experience.......why should he?

Like the other two said.......air your concerns to the school and make sure they have stratergies in place....and your mob number.....and if it gets to hot to handle for him...would it be poss you pick him up?

But most of all..........be proud that he wants to go...and try and relax. All children face challenges in life...it makes us who we are!

Best of luck to the little man B)

You guys are lucky to have such good school staff who are willing to put in that extra effort to include the children in the rest of the classes activities.

My son is 9 and has never been on a school trip, school swimming lesson or even been included in the activities that come into school ( the magician last year - teacher thought it might be too much of a change for him to cope with - I ask you!). I have offered to attend these trips, and take responsibility for him, but that still has not shifted their view that for health and safety reasons, they can't include a child that doesn't like a change in his routine. They came close this year, with a trip to Hampton Court Palace, we filled in the form, paid the money, then the day before the trip, the head phoned and said that they couldn't take him after all!!!

Anyway vent over, what I was going to say was, surely the school have planned for the care of your son outside of the school building and are confident enough to include him. Why not talk it over with his teacher to put your mind at rest.

Regards, tizz

Tizzmeclair your sons school are breaking the law. This is disability discrimination and they are fobbing you of with a load of rubbish. This is not inclusion and they are lying to you. No child is to be treat less favourably than any other child. Would you say that your son is being treat as favourably as the rest of the school?

I would be asking them if they have heard of the Disability Discrimination Act and if not I would give them a copy of it and then report them.

Please do something about this before I burst a blood vessel for you :angry:

Carole

Edited by carole

Hi carerquie and carole,

You are both right of course, and come to think of it, I can't understand how I've let it go on so long. I guess I just excepted their decissions without questioning them.

On the bright side :D , his statement proposal arrivied a couple of days ago, and he is to get funding for a full-time assistant, so there will be no reason for them to exclude him now (he has only been attending school part-time for the last 2 years).

tizz

Please please forgive me tizzmeclair for being a busy body - I know that I am one - but are the hours for the one to one support actually specified in his proposed statement?

Carole

Thanks for everyone for replying. I decided that I would ask the school what they want me to do. I'm fed up making decisions!. Sams teacher says he thinks that I should go, but decide when we get there whether or not to have Sam in my group or not, depending on his mood that day. Southend here I come. I'm getting nervous about it already, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Tizz, sort that school out!

Kazz

Hi kazzdt,

Have a good one in S-o-S, hope the sun shines and theres plenty of ice-cream!

I love S-o-S, my husbands from Essex and we use to spend many a happy hour dancing the night away!

Hi Carole,

nothing to forgive, the answer to that is no...its states how many points he gets, which is twenty, and that is in turn a set amount of cash for the school. He will also continue getting funding from the "behavioural management team" i thinks thats what their called, as well as the normal school funding. It does mention full-time though. The SENCO has explained that it is more than enough to retain a full-time assistant just for him, and she told me they were going to start advertising now!

Your making me nervous, do you think they are pulling a fast one, and he's not going to get what the've told me he will. I will be soooooo bl***y angry if they mess me about after all this fighing!

The five minutes ago happy chick, who's now growing slighty nervous, tizz.